Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Surprised Denver is so low
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Subjective. Give me three minutes and I can justify a list that has KC first, second and third.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The fact that OKC's desirability index is higher than Kansas City's should tell you all you need to know about this list.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

kcjak wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm The fact that OKC's desirability index is higher than Kansas City's should tell you all you need to know about this list.
Well they do have a pro basketball team so there you go
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:03 pm
kcjak wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm The fact that OKC's desirability index is higher than Kansas City's should tell you all you need to know about this list.
Well they do have a pro basketball team so there you go
Anecdotally it’s also the least walkable city I’ve been to (outside of bricktown) in my life. They can keep their NBA team with that situation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Our 12 Favorite Cities To Visit In The U.S.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripi ... ar-AAXAUQ0
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The No. 1 city in the world to travel and work remotely is...

(THE ANSWER WILL SHOCK YOU! SHOCK YOU!!!)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/best-ci ... ation.html
KC is the way to be!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AllThingsKC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 am The No. 1 city in the world to travel and work remotely is...

(THE ANSWER WILL SHOCK YOU! SHOCK YOU!!!)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/best-ci ... ation.html
Study from Icelandair. Wonder if/when they’ll bring the direct back!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I guess we all have to go to Vienna, Austria to get away.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Reminder not to take these clickbait rankings too seriously.
LawnStarter released its “2022’s Best BBQ Cities in America” study last week, ranking 200 cities based on access, accolades and quality of barbeque. The study gave St. Louis the best overall score (49.41), edging out Kansas City (46.45) as the nation’s top spot for barbeque.
https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/st-l ... tudy-says/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC squeezes into the top 20 again for value of Commercial and MultiFamily construction starts. Third in Midwest. First half of 2022...
https://www.construction.com/news/comme ... -half-2022
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

San Fran, San Diego, Portland not in top 20. LA further down list for 2nd largest metro. Chicago low too for its size.

KC's got some warning signs the local ecodev groups should be targeting but by this measure KC seems to be still in high functioning territory for its size.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't believe Phoenix is adding so much housing and still attracting so many people. Has anyone been reading about the water levels at Lake Mead and Lake Powell? It's very likely in 50 years Phoenix could be Detroit. Scottsdale recently ended an agreement sharing its' water with unincorporated subdivisions along its' border in Maricopa County.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:49 am I can't believe Phoenix is adding so much housing and still attracting so many people. Has anyone been reading about the water levels at Lake Mead and Lake Powell? It's very likely in 50 years Phoenix could be Detroit. Scottsdale recently ended an agreement sharing its' water with unincorporated subdivisions along its' border in Maricopa County.
I hate to say it but all the trends are saying whoever has the best & expansive suburbs, not urban core, is winning over new residents. Post-Covid, that is. And somewhat before.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:49 am I can't believe Phoenix is adding so much housing and still attracting so many people. Has anyone been reading about the water levels at Lake Mead and Lake Powell? It's very likely in 50 years Phoenix could be Detroit. Scottsdale recently ended an agreement sharing its' water with unincorporated subdivisions along its' border in Maricopa County.
Is not so surprising that the hoi polloi ignore the warning signs but is surprising that long term investors are willing to keep pumping into more growth.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 759981001/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

More surprised about the chip plants
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

KC apparently ranks high (top 10) for FDI. Should help grease the wheels for foreign flights and job creation eventually if we can sustain the momentum.

https://ig.ft.com/us-cities-index/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

America’s Next Hot Destination Is This Midwestern City

It’s got top-notch house hunting, mouth-watering food, and more museums than you can visit in a weekend.
Shall I take you inside the Nelson-Atkins, inarguably one of the best art museums in the country? Or should we start with the food? Or the magnificent homes, or the friendly people? Or, perhaps, I can persuade you to take a closer look at Kansas City by pointing out that my job allows me to go to my favorite cities every year—Paris, Mexico City, São Paulo, Los Angeles, and so on—and, yes, Kansas City is one I always visit.
...Byrne asked me what it is about Kansas City, as opposed to other Midwestern metropolises, that I love so much. To deflect, I first noted that anecdotally everybody I’ve ever talked to who has visited has loved it. Then I noted the obvious—it’s a very pretty city and there’s an incredible amount to do.
But as I tried to articulate the shape of my affection, I realized that what I love most is how Kansas City surprises people. We’ve been conditioned to think of midwestern cities as kind of forlorn places that modernity ravaged, but Kansas City has never felt that way to me. On the contrary, there’s a buoyancy to it. Even the Kansas City Museum, which forthrightly examines the region’s legacies of racism, sexism, elitism, and so on, felt more hopeful than not. There’s nothing eat-your-peas or arduous about visiting here. And I can’t wait to go back.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/americas- ... TNqt-1dU6Q
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:55 am America’s Next Hot Destination Is This Midwestern City

It’s got top-notch house hunting, mouth-watering food, and more museums than you can visit in a weekend.
Shall I take you inside the Nelson-Atkins, inarguably one of the best art museums in the country? Or should we start with the food? Or the magnificent homes, or the friendly people? Or, perhaps, I can persuade you to take a closer look at Kansas City by pointing out that my job allows me to go to my favorite cities every year—Paris, Mexico City, São Paulo, Los Angeles, and so on—and, yes, Kansas City is one I always visit.
...Byrne asked me what it is about Kansas City, as opposed to other Midwestern metropolises, that I love so much. To deflect, I first noted that anecdotally everybody I’ve ever talked to who has visited has loved it. Then I noted the obvious—it’s a very pretty city and there’s an incredible amount to do.
But as I tried to articulate the shape of my affection, I realized that what I love most is how Kansas City surprises people. We’ve been conditioned to think of midwestern cities as kind of forlorn places that modernity ravaged, but Kansas City has never felt that way to me. On the contrary, there’s a buoyancy to it. Even the Kansas City Museum, which forthrightly examines the region’s legacies of racism, sexism, elitism, and so on, felt more hopeful than not. There’s nothing eat-your-peas or arduous about visiting here. And I can’t wait to go back.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/americas- ... TNqt-1dU6Q
Actual meaty and well-written. Sounds like a true fan.