Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Three Light

Post by KCKev »

Yes. So true. Tearing down any building removes the history and eventually any memory of the past.some day the light buildings will be imploded to make way for parking and the cycle of removing the memories of those that grew up with them will be gone.
Please pull forward to the next window.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:44 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:25 pm It's not hard to fathom. But Men at work and VF aren't drawing 250k. Nor did they.
Did I say "Men at Work drew 250k?" Never said those specific groups did and I was talking about the entire festival. Lot's of people might go to the festival and not to a concert and over 3 days, it would have been pretty easy to hit hundreds of thousands for the entire event. And lets say it was only 50k a day. That's 150k for the entire event, so over half visitors came downtown for one weekend.
This is my world so it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to see people make wild guesses. 50k unique visitors a day? How many people attended all 3 days?

A more realistic number is 90-100k unique visitors and that’s being generous.

Regardless it doesn’t change your overall point that 250k visitors a year is probably low.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCKev wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:36 pm Yes. So true. Tearing down any building removes the history and eventually any memory of the past.some day the light buildings will be imploded to make way for parking and the cycle of removing the memories of those that grew up with them will be gone.
Please pull forward to the next window.
I think one day the light buildings will be imploded to make way for a downtown interplanetary space station. That way people can travel to their new apartment, Mars Light 1.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

15% leased
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

As the glass wraps the 8th floor, it's becoming clear just how different this one will look from 2 Light. Sure, they're going to be about the same height, but the glass color is way different than One and Two Light, Loews and 1400 Baltimore.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Great to see that much variation.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:40 pm Image
This is a pipe dream from me, but I really wish the West facing areas of the parking podium would be apartments with full-length patios. Fantastic views of Main as well as the theater... Maybe one day.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It actually makes sense to wrap at least a couple of sides of a parking podium with apartments. Allow access to those floors from the parking level and charge a premium for residence to use those spots on their level.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kcjak wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:51 am It actually makes sense to wrap at least a couple of sides of a parking podium with apartments. Allow access to those floors from the parking level and charge a premium for residence to use those spots on their level.
For every parking spot you take away, you’ve got to add more vertically. If the exterior of the parking garage were apartments, you’d have to add several more floors of parking.

Parking is tight in these as they build the bare minimum required for residents and some tenant/public parking.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Obviously we are talking distant dreams but maybe a day in the future when there's enough potential lease signers not interested in a parking spot that parking counts can be reduced.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Much better than TWO. More variation in glass colors and less shiny metal framing. Even parking podium improved. What is going to be on that 6 story white vertical panel on the west end?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:44 pm Much better than TWO. More variation in glass colors and less shiny metal framing. Even parking podium improved. What is going to be on that 6 story white vertical panel on the west end?
Renderings show a map of downtown KC!

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I forgot how much better that tower looks with just a few more floors. Those extra floors just mass better with the parking podium. Regardless, I would agree it looks better than 2 light, but that wall on Main should be apartment units like somebody mentioned above.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

This is such a great project and adds much needed density to the urban core. Excited to see this thing grow, thanks for the pictures :)
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

GRID wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:22 pm I forgot how much better that tower looks with just a few more floors. Those extra floors just mass better with the parking podium. Regardless, I would agree it looks better than 2 light, but that wall on Main should be apartment units like somebody mentioned above.
I think that's still the original rendering with the taller (by 3-5 floors?) version of 3L. Current version not quite as elegant. Regardless, will look good (very happy they kept the "W" structural element and changed up the exterior surfaces) and will be great addition to the city.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:27 am
GRID wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:22 pm I forgot how much better that tower looks with just a few more floors. Those extra floors just mass better with the parking podium. Regardless, I would agree it looks better than 2 light, but that wall on Main should be apartment units like somebody mentioned above.
I think that's still the original rendering with the taller (by 3-5 floors?) version of 3L. Current version not quite as elegant. Regardless, will look good (very happy they kept the "W" structural element and changed up the exterior surfaces) and will be great addition to the city.
The rendering posted is the final version being built.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 am
By the last gent?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 am
No way. That last rendering is of the tower with additional floors before it was delayed and scaled back several floors. I think it was originally going to be about the same height at the new cordish tower in St Louis. You can't tell from that vantage point, but it's now basically the same height as 2 light, plus the angled roof.

Original

What's being built I believe. (less a penthouse floor and a few regular floors.)
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

That’s my bad. In my defense, the tall rendering is pulled straight from the current official 3 light website. Did those floors get added back in or is it a mistake?

https://threelightkc.com/