Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:11 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm Not sure on the amount of residents but the amount of visitors is accurate.
What is their (and your) source on this to confirm it's accurate?
Datafy
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The whole set of data lacks context. Most datasets use Greater Downtown, which goes all the way to 31st and includes Crown Center. Even 20 years ago wouldn't the number of visitors include people going to the City Market on weekends? Science City? Crown Center? And FFA and SillsUSA visitors? Big 12 and Div II basketball tourneys? 225K seems pretty low.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcjak wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:19 am The whole set of data lacks context. Most datasets use Greater Downtown, which goes all the way to 31st and includes Crown Center. Even 20 years ago wouldn't the number of visitors include people going to the City Market on weekends? Science City? Crown Center? And FFA and SillsUSA visitors? Big 12 and Div II basketball tourneys? 225K seems pretty low.
It's not just kind of low, it's ridiculous. 225k to 10 million. Yeah okay.

Crown Center alone draws 225k and probably drew more ten years ago then it does now.

I'm sure visitors are up downtown, but those numbers are worthless without something backing them up. Is that just the P&L District area (which includes the arena)? Kemper was not technically downtown, but it was probably just as busy as TMobile in its heyday if not busier since it had many sports teams there too. Municipal was used a lot more more too 10-15 years ago. Just be realistic with stats. Manipulating them helps nobody.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The city keeps historical visitor information to downtown and convention districts but I have no idea how those were collected back then. We have technology now that is very detailed and can provide us with some highly useful insights to make these determinations.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Here's another take on the number of downtown visitors 20 years ago from CitySceneKC, "Mending Our Broken Heart: Diversions Needed for Downtown to Thrive (Part 1)", a reprint of a series first run in the Star at that time.

"A performing arts center is on the drawing board here. But that’s not enough, according to downtown’s latest blueprint plan and The Kansas City Star’s interviews with national urban experts and planners. Downtown also needs a bigger Bartle Hall. And a bulked-up Union Station. And a new sports/entertainment arena.

Doing all these could build on downtown’s arts and cultural strengths, and if you add up all the additional people who would potentially come to these new or expanded attractions, that’s 1.4 million more people a year in downtown.

That’s almost double the number of people who attend conventions and cultural attractions in downtown now, providing that many more potential patrons for restaurants, nightclubs and coffee shops."

So, that article, written at the time, claims 700,000 visitors to conventions and cultural attractions 20 years ago. Again, the exact geography isn't defined but at that time might have been limited to Bartle, Municipal, the Folly strictly downtown. Union Station, Liberty Memorial included? Maybe a few others?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Spirit Fest alone used to draw around 250-500,000 over one weekend. And that's not an exaggeration. It was a huge festival.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:41 pm Spirit Fest alone used to draw around 250-500,000 over one weekend. And that's not an exaggeration. It was a huge festival.
That would put it on par with some of the biggest festivals in the nation at that time. I can't imagine anywhere near 500k attended over the weekend.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:16 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:41 pm Spirit Fest alone used to draw around 250-500,000 over one weekend. And that's not an exaggeration. It was a huge festival.
That would put it on par with some of the biggest festivals in the nation at that time. I can't imagine anywhere near 500k attended over the weekend.
I know they used to draw 100k a day, so probably 250-350k or so. It was a big festival with some big concerts. I know it was starting to rival Fair St Louis in attendance, but eventually it it died off and eventually went away.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Woodstock 99 had 220k over 4 days. 98.9 Rockfest had 50k for one day and was able to claim biggest one day festival in this country.

Just saying there’s no way 200k attended Spirit Fest and rivaled Woodstock 99.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:15 pm Woodstock 99 had 220k over 4 days. 98.9 Rockfest had 50k for one day and was able to claim biggest one day festival in this country.

I was at Spirit fest in 99. 100k would be very generous. My guess would be 50k.

Men at Work, Violent Fems, Boom Boom Satellites, Moby, and a couple of other local bands.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:15 pm Woodstock 99 had 220k over 4 days. 98.9 Rockfest had 50k for one day and was able to claim biggest one day festival in this country.

Not sure why 200k is hard to fathom for a major festival in major metro. I recall a couple of years being really large crowds. I was there for the year Bob Dylan was there and they said it was over 100k for his concert alone and people come and go all weekend.

Regardless, lots of people went downtown and I still think Downtown was actually much busier during the day in the 80's even though it totally died at 5pm most days. Downtown feels very quiet now during the day. Just saying it didn't go from 250k to 10 million. That doesn't even make sense.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pmRegardless, lots of people went downtown and I still think Downtown was actually much busier during the day in the 80's
??????
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pmRegardless, lots of people went downtown and I still think Downtown was actually much busier during the day in the 80's
??????
Was office population higher in the 1980’s? I could see that being possible.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm

Not sure why 200k is hard to fathom for a major festival in major metro. I recall a couple of years being really large crowds. I was there for the year Bob Dylan was there and they said it was over 100k for his concert alone and people come and go all weekend.

Regardless, lots of people went downtown and I still think Downtown was actually much busier during the day in the 80's even though it totally died at 5pm most days. Downtown feels very quiet now during the day. Just saying it didn't go from 250k to 10 million. That doesn't even make sense.
It's not hard to fathom. But Men at work and VF aren't drawing 250k. Nor did they.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:25 pm It's not hard to fathom. But Men at work and VF aren't drawing 250k. Nor did they.
Did I say "Men at Work drew 250k?" Never said those specific groups did and I was talking about the entire festival. Lot's of people might go to the festival and not to a concert and over 3 days, it would have been pretty easy to hit hundreds of thousands for the entire event. And lets say it was only 50k a day. That's 150k for the entire event, so over half visitors came downtown for one weekend.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:03 pm
??????
Downtown KC was pretty busy during the weekday in the late 80's and early 90's. It had a ton more office space and just people working there. Think about how many office buildings that were converted to residential. Fed Reserve was down there etc. You go downtown at 4pm and Main and Grand were clogged with people, cars and buses. Places like City Center SQ and Town Pavilion were bustling most of the day.

The problem was it was all concentrated right in the core and everything outside the very center of the downtown loop was parking lots. Most of the loop itself was parking lots. I'm not saying it was better back then, just saying the daytime population was more active. And it seemed like there were more conventions. VICA and FAA alone would be in town for many days each and just fill the entire downtown area with people.

Downtown doesn't even have a McDonalds now. Again, I'm not saying it was better. It wasn't. But the core of downtown did feel more like a bustling city at least during the day back then. It was a ghost town after 5 though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:54 pm

??????
Downtown KC was pretty busy during the weekday in the late 80's and early 90's. It had a ton more office space and just people working there. Think about how many office buildings that were converted to residential. Fed Reserve was down there etc. You go downtown at 4pm and Main and Grand were clogged with people, cars and buses. Places like City Center SQ and Town Pavilion were bustling most of the day.

The problem was it was all concentrated right in the core and everything outside the very center of the downtown loop was parking lots. Most of the loop itself was parking lots. I'm not saying it was better back then, just saying the daytime population was more active. And it seemed like there were more conventions. VICA and FAA alone would be in town for many days each and just fill the entire downtown area with people.

Downtown doesn't even have a McDonalds now. Again, I'm not saying it was better. It wasn't. But the core of downtown did feel more like a bustling city at least during the day back then. It was a ghost town after 5 though.
KC was a much more competitive convention city in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's. It was a policy emphasis in the 70s.

2000's saw us add some important assets (ball room, Sprint Center, P&L) but we failed to push the ball forward on large and luxury hotels.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:05 pm

KC was a much more competitive convention city in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's. It was a policy emphasis in the 70s.

2000's saw us add some important assets (ball room, Sprint Center, P&L) but we failed to push the ball forward on large and luxury hotels.
Yeah, They were doing pretty well keeping up with the actual convention center infrastructure, but eventually starting really losing ground with a lack of hotels and that still keeps KC a lower tier convention city today. Loews is nice, but it's just not enough. I would say that downtown KC had at least as many good hotels back then as it does today. I mean the Westin, Hyatt and Marriot were all new and higher tier hotels back then vs now, especially what has happened to the Hyatt and I'm sure some of the others were nice too like Crown Plaza.

And I'm sure not doing something with KCI sooner also contributed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

??????

jfc no downtown was not busier in the 90s. that's literally the time we talk about how bad it was.

but lol at "Downtown doesn't even have a McDonalds now."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:05 pm

This whole convo should go to another thread. Weird reading people talk about the 70s when like 1% of this board was born then so we have no real idea.