Meet up following E-W SC meeting Tuesday, Oct 4th?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Meet up following E-W SC meeting Tuesday, Oct 4th?

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

An idea was tossed around, and seemed like a good few of us were going, so I thought I should put this in the top of the thread. The meeting ends at 8, so figured we could all meet up for a beer afterwords. Oak and steel was tossed out as an idea. I’ve not been yet, so was keen on trying it out, but if anyone else has an idea they could put it here.

I also want to get a pic together to put on here if y’all would like. Kinda give a face to our little group of misfits. If y’all are going to attend the meeting let us know on here so we can all meet up! Hope to see y’all soon!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Meet up following E-W SC meeting Tuesday, Oct 4th?

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I'll be at the meeting, certainly down for a beer afterwards.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sure. I'll show up.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I was at the meeting at the beginning, popped home for a minute. If you still want to grab a beer Anthony/Chris/Anyone else post here I’ll come out for it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I’ll be there after 6!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:52 pm I was at the meeting at the beginning, popped home for a minute. If you still want to grab a beer Anthony/Chris/Anyone else post here I’ll come out for it.
Planning to, Oak and Steel? Chris and I are planning on heading there soon, and Dave said he would also be there
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sorry I couldn't make it. Did it work out?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 pm sorry I couldn't make it. Did it work out?
It worked out well. Dave, FlippantCitizen, SWID, Anthony, and I showed up to Oak and Steel. Definitely a good place to meet for something like this. Next time, we'll try planning sooner so that more can come.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 pm sorry I couldn't make it. Did it work out?
It worked out well. Dave, FlippantCitizen, SWID, Anthony, and I showed up to Oak and Steel. Definitely a good place to meet for something like this. Next time, we'll try planning sooner so that more can come.
Sounds great! Couldn’t make it this time around but will try next time
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Awesome. Glad the site could bring people together.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

That's great! I saw a brief bit on the news. May have to go to the virtual one. Working late plus young kid at home means I dont get to many meetings these days.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

So? How did the first public meeting go? Any key takeaways?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:31 pm So? How did the first public meeting go? Any key takeaways?
They’re very much mode agnostic until after they hear from preferences of the community. So SC isn’t a guarantee
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:31 pm So? How did the first public meeting go? Any key takeaways?
I have to say, the project leaders from the city/streetcar authority were very good. They understood the sides for all stakeholders (neighborhood, commuters, businesses) and seemed to genuinely want to strike a good balance for all. I'm not sure I see a point of going to the stadiums if the Royals are DT but they had every option and route with the ability for those who came to express their opinion. It seems so, so early to make a decision with viability not even being studying enough yet or cost. Is there even room to turn 39th street north at Broadway? Is 39th street wide enough even for streetcar? Does the giant hill on 31st and SW Trafficway make that a non-starter for a route? I heard some people discussing center-running vs side running, an argument I've heard numerous times on here. I assume they probably were the same people. Made me laugh a bit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Participate online. It's an equal experience, other than not being able to talk to people.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:16 pm I'm not sure I see a point of going to the stadiums if the Royals are DT but they had every option and route with the ability for those who came to express their opinion. It seems so, so early to make a decision with viability not even being studying enough yet or cost.
Lots of people live between State Line and the Blue River. The stadium isn't much further and provides a connection to a future transit project on the Rock Island. Easier to do with BRT than streetcar. It's literally in the long-range transit plan.
Is there even room to turn 39th street north at Broadway?
Yes, what you saw has pretty much made it through a "fatal flaw" analysis. Have you been to 5th and Delaware?
Is 39th street wide enough even for streetcar?
Yes, if you remove at least one side of the on-street parking. Preferably you'd remove all of it, but... reality.
Does the giant hill on 31st and SW Trafficway make that a non-starter for a route?
Pretty sure the hill on the Plaza is steeper and it's going to be fine.
I heard some people discussing center-running vs side running, an argument I've heard numerous times on here. I assume they probably were the same people. Made me laugh a bit.
Wasn't me!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:52 pm Lots of people live between State Line and the Blue River. The stadium isn't much further and provides a connection to a future transit project on the Rock Island. Easier to do with BRT than streetcar. It's literally in the long-range transit plan.
Yes, this was pretty much my thought as well. BRT makes sense, providing a better product for the East Side and connection to the stadiums is a nice addition. I just don’t see streetcar making sense there yet. But, Maim St started with Max and got a huge upgrade. Perhaps, the same will happen here.

Yes, I know 5th and Delaware proves it can be done though that loop in RM sure slows things down. Of course, 39th and Broadway is a much busier intersection.

39th in places right now is two very narrow lanes and two narrow parking lanes. If you say that you can take one parking lane for two streetcar lanes, I’m good to believe it. But, I’m all for getting rid of all the parking. Businesses probably would revolt though.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:02 pm Yes, I know 5th and Delaware proves it can be done though that loop in RM sure slows things down.
Id imagine that issue gets solved when the riverfront extension comes to fruition. Straightlining seems to speed up operations significantly