OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

For the customers terminal parking would be the biggest pita I could think of if you flew out of old and into new. I assume there would be temp shuttles to the old garages for a bit.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For people that know more about this than me, how much more connecting traffic should we expect?

Is there any incentive to route more traffic through KCI now? My assumption is no because is KC mostly functions as getting people to heavily traveled tourist destinations or the big hubs.

We're surrounded by really good airports that already connect you anywhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the popular assumption is SW would connect more people here (and away from like a Denver or STL). Probably about all that can be expected unless a new airline comes in or something like Alaska tries to expand east and wants to use us as a new connection point.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:21 pm the popular assumption is SW would connect more people here (and away from like a Denver or STL). Probably about all that can be expected unless a new airline comes in or something like Alaska tries to expand east and wants to use us as a new connection point.
Yeah, I was thinking more about the incentive. Delta has three hubs within distance, AA has DFW, so Southwest makes the most sense.

Just wondering what their incentive would be to move flights here? I truly don't know? More availability to avoid delays? Cheaper?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not in that biz at all but yeah I'd think you are right, capacity, customer satisfaction (which is why they never did here before), landing costs (ours will be higher than now but lower than other cities?), less cancellations (STL was 4%, KCI 3.39%, DEN 3.36% in 2021) https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-adv ... tion-data/
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

^fees I think play a decent roll in it. If someone is connecting ideally you connect them where the fees are the lowest. But someone flying Indianapolis-Oakland might also pay more to fly a more direct route thru KC than let’s say Baltimore. So they might be able to charge more to offset the fees.

I think we will see Southwest add some routes that have good O&D numbers but just need a little help from connections, but I think it’s going to be a slow growth. June schedule comes out the end of October. So we will see what it entails.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Massive expansions by SWA at Denver and BNA. More moderate growth at STL that seems to have slowed.

KC moved too slowly and Southwest moved on
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Like they can't change their routes.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

It would be odd if they didn't add at least a few new routes along with restoring pre-covid service considering Southwest was the biggest advocate of the new terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:59 am Like they can't change their routes.
Taking dozens of gates at surrounding airports is a long term infrastructure commitment. I believe SWA will add some in KC but nothing like they are at the airports surrounding us.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

An interesting addition to the Use/Lease agreement

Section 3. That the Director of Aviation is hereby authorized to further amend any Use and Lease Agreement with Signatory or Non-Signatory Airlines at the Kansas City International Airport to add, delete or change the amount of the premises leased without further City Council approval.

https://kansascity.legistar.com/View.as ... AE01595F2C
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems smart. The city council has too much oversight/control over airport operations.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The people who run the Airline History Museum would likely disagree.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

So the new job has me flying for work -- actually, more than I've every flown before in my life (about 2x/mo) -- and I cannot believe we have put up with this dump for so long. I am 100% ready for the new terminal.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:39 pm So the new job has me flying for work -- actually, more than I've every flown before in my life (about 2x/mo) -- and I cannot believe we have put up with this dump for so long. I am 100% ready for the new terminal.
I've been flying more within the last year, and it's really sunken in to me that old KCI is barely even recognizably an airport. The terminals are so totally unoptimized to be a modern airport that they feel like some sort of ancient ruin that was never intended for transportation in the first place
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCI is just a bunch of gates. It was never comparable to any other airport that actually has concourses etc.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCI is so bad that is makes this normal new airport look like the Hope Diamond of airports.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

These furnishings are chosen/decided by the airline occupying that gate?

First external entrance sign is up describing the Arrivals drive / baggage claim and also the lane for rideshare (and not sure what else, I assume taxis)

Not my favorite sign. Pretty basic blue with white lettering.