NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by Link2 »

mgsports wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 pm Tulsa has WNBA and OKC Thunder.
Tulsa hasn't had a WNBA team since 2015
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Another dude that doesn’t like women’s sports. Anything else you want to educate us on?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:26 pm Another dude that doesn’t like women’s sports. Anything else you want to educate us on?
No one likes the WNBA, it’s not exclusive to men. My wife is a former starting member of a D1 athletic program and can’t stand to watch it.

The men who say they like the wnba are lying and just trying to be woke. It’s pathetic.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

someone posted earlier about women's soccer & tennis being popular across the board and WBNA lags behind. I know it does well in some places and has a strong fans base. My guess is that in women's soccer and tennis the game at the surface level looks very similar to the men's game. The same exciting plays that are made during a match are essentially the same on the surface. Now go behind the scenes some shots may be hit harder, go faster, etc. But a wicked header into the back of the net or a laser forehand down the line look the same in the men's and women's game. Again I know there are differences but to the average fan they are the same on the surface so there is less perceived space between the men's & women's game.

With the NBA & WNBA it's different. In a lot of ways the women are better technical players than the men, they play a more "pure" brand of ball. Quick passes, open looks. tight defense, constant hustle, etc. Not to say the men's game is not like this but the WBNA is more team oriented in success than focusing on super stars, isolation, clear outs and let LeBron do it all. Plus the most exciting plays in basketball are dunks. I mean the highlights we see dunks in transition, dunks off a sweet pass, alley-oops, it is an exciting play and one that rarely happens in the WBNA, if at all. So I think the average fan perceives the WBNA as a little less entertaining because it cannot or rarely can deliver the same level of exciting plays in the form of dunk that the NBA can. Yes I realize the NBA has become a perimeter game where they jack 3's all night and barely go to work in the paint but the dunk and inside paly above the rim is still there and lacking in the WBNA. That's my 2 cents but I think the WBNA is fine with outstanding players but at the same time it is a niche sport in terms of fandom.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:26 pm Another dude that doesn’t like women’s sports. Anything else you want to educate us on?
Exactly. I'm a big men's basketball fan (both professional and college) -- and I truly enjoy the women's game as well. Both in-person and on TV can be exciting if you're a fan of the sport. Watching the best athletes in the world compete at the highest level is what I am looking for, and the WNBA certainly delivers that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 am
Exactly. I'm a big men's basketball fan (both professional and college) -- and I truly enjoy the women's game as well. Both in-person and on TV can be exciting if you're a fan of the sport. Watching the best athletes in the world compete at the highest level is what I am looking for, and the WNBA certainly delivers that.
They are the best female basketball players in the entire world but it's just a difficult sport to watch on TV or in person. dukuboy kind of nailed it, we are constantly seeing highlights from the NBA and have witnessed players like MJ, Kobe and Lebron. The difference in skill and ability between LeBron and the best WNBA player is so gigantic they're not even in the same galaxy. There's a reason even women don't spend their money to support the WNBA.

Some things are a bit forced and if this was a professional women's basketball league without the help of the NBA, it wouldn't have made it past year 3.It's just not a good product.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NWS has a higher average attendance than WNBA in 2019. NWS trending up and WNBA trending down.

KC Current have more turnout than almost all WNBA teams
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone use the word woke in the past few years that doesn’t just mainline certain media into them.

That aside, women sports are fun! I can’t speak for basketball, but where sports fail it’s normally do to a lack of investment and availability.

Watching elite athletes at the peak of their ability is fun. If basketball can’t make it work, that’s on them.!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:55 pm I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone use the word woke in the past few years that doesn’t just mainline certain media into them.

That aside, women sports are fun! I can’t speak for basketball, but where sports fail it’s normally do to a lack of investment and availability.

Watching elite athletes at the peak of their ability is fun. If basketball can’t make it work, that’s on them.!
lol on the woke comment. I guess if you haven't heard it in two years, maybe look within? Joking, kind of but seriously I know it's a word mostly used by conservatives towards liberals but it has it's relative place. Insisting any man who talks shit on the WNBA is doing so because of his gender is def a woke comment. Maybe it just fuckin sucks?! If it was great women would support it, they don't.

I agree watching elite athletes is fun but there's something about the WNBA that isn't translating into a viable product. I think the idea that the males in the NBA are so good and so dynamic, strong, fast and freakish make watching the women hard in comparison. Someone mentioned tennis and that's a great point. Women's tennis is equally as popular as mens because the play between the men and women look so similar.

I don't care to try and understand it all but people in this country speak with their money and the money says the WNBA sucks.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:55 pm I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone use the word woke in the past few years that doesn’t just mainline certain media into them.

lol on the woke comment. I guess if you haven't heard it in two years, maybe look within? Joking, kind of but seriously I know it's a word mostly used by conservatives towards liberals but it has it's relative place. Insisting any man who talks shit on the WNBA is doing so because of his gender is def a woke comment. Maybe it just fuckin sucks?! If it was great women would support it, they don't.

I agree watching elite athletes is fun but there's something about the WNBA that isn't translating into a viable product. I think the idea that the males in the NBA are so good and so dynamic, strong, fast and freakish make watching the women hard in comparison. Someone mentioned tennis and that's a great point. Women's tennis is equally as popular as mens because the play between the men and women look so similar.

I don't care to try and understand it all but people in this country speak with their money and the money says the WNBA sucks.
WNBA viewership this past season was its highest in 14 years. And with new money being invested into the league, the addition of WNBA League Pass, and international initiatives -- the league is actually progressing in a positive direction. Attendance is certainly an issue in some markets -- just like many professional sports leagues -- but it's also relative to the size/location of a few of the arenas.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:04 pm

WNBA viewership this past season was its highest in 14 years. And with new money being invested into the league, the addition of WNBA League Pass, and international initiatives -- the league is actually progressing in a positive direction. Attendance is certainly an issue in some markets -- just like many professional sports leagues -- but it's also relative to the size/location of a few of the arenas.
Then explain why the LA Sparks average just over 5,000 people with a population of 12,000,000?

Not 100% sure on this but I believe there's only ever been 1 sell out game and that was a finals game.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 pm

Then explain why the LA Sparks average just over 5,000 people with a population of 12,000,000?

Not 100% sure on this but I believe there's only ever been 1 sell out game and that was a finals game.
I get the argument -- but LA is a notoriously fickle sports fan base (outside of Lakers & Dodgers). Chargers and their struggles to fill Sofi -- and that's the NFL. LA may also be oversaturated with sports, both professional and USC/UCLA combined.

Pre-Covid the Sparks averaged over 10,000 per at Crypto (Staples at that time). After the Covid pause, they returned by playing their games at the convention center -- and attendance dropped. Hopefully, they'll get that corrected.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 pm

I get the argument -- but LA is a notoriously fickle sports fan base (outside of Lakers & Dodgers). Chargers and their struggles to fill Sofi -- and that's the NFL. LA may also be oversaturated with sports, both professional and USC/UCLA combined.

Pre-Covid the Sparks averaged over 10,000 per at Crypto (Staples at that time). After the Covid pause, they returned by playing their games at the convention center -- and attendance dropped. Hopefully, they'll get that corrected.
Thanks for the info! That can explain the dip for sure.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm out of my element here, but women's sports succeed when they are funded and supported.

There are groups here that fund and support women's soccer. The same with tennis. The same with skating. Same with swimming. And so on. That's why the us consistently does great at these sports.

I can't think about anything specific about basketball that makes it's so women can't play or be supported. I don't love all sports, so it's up to them to create a league and do the hard work. I don't like basketball that much.

But the sports I do like all have functioning and growing women's games, so maybe you have to look in the mirror?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCYSvC-xsc

How Kansas City Lost Their NBA Team
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Kc needs a WNBA team to go along with women's soccer.
It would do very well here and have a good chance to compete with the current teams in the league.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

langosta wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:04 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCYSvC-xsc

How Kansas City Lost Their NBA Team
Some truths and some untruths in his comments. One item that was overlooked was how free agency affected the Kings. The ownership did not have deep pockets and when the Lakers signed Jabbar to a salary that was more then the Kings took in with ticket sales that was the end.
And the attendance wasn't as great as the speaker implied. The team issued many comp tickets and many tickets were never used. The policy on "announced" attendance was adding tickets sold plus comps not the actual numbers of people through the turnstiles.
"KANSAS CITY-OMAHA KINGS
Season GP Total Avg.
1972-73 41 261,860 6,387
1973-74 41 232,692 5,675
1974-75 41 308,906 7,534

KANSAS CITY KINGS
Season GP Total Avg.
1975-76 41 272,675 6,651
1976-77 41 330,526 8,062
1977-78 41 315,722 7,701
1978-79 41 442,354 10,789
1979-80 41 375,387 9,156
1980-81 41 336,585 8,209
1981-82 41 280,564 6,843
1982-83 41 340,359 8,301
1983-84 41 370,270 9,031
1984-85 41 262,812 6,410"

Only three visiting teams ever drew big crowds - Lakers, Celtics, and 76ers. And more than a few were dogs.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think the most telling number is where that list stops, 1985. The NBA in the 70's and early 80's was a struggling league. Bird & Magic helped lay some foundations for things to come and then Jordan became Jordan after 85 and the league never looked back.

IMO I think KC would embrace the NBA and be a great market. Plus I like it would the only NBA team in MO and situated nicely to have some decent rivals with OKC, Minn, Milwaukee, CHI, Memphis, Dallas and Houston. Throw in Indy as well. I hope we could get a team to relocate
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 am I think the most telling number is where that list stops, 1985. The NBA in the 70's and early 80's was a struggling league. Bird & Magic helped lay some foundations for things to come and then Jordan became Jordan after 85 and the league never looked back.

IMO I think KC would embrace the NBA and be a great market. Plus I like it would the only NBA team in MO and situated nicely to have some decent rivals with OKC, Minn, Milwaukee, CHI, Memphis, Dallas and Houston. Throw in Indy as well. I hope we could get a team to relocate
You forgot San Antonio and Denver to.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Denver yes for sure. I was trying to think about within an 10 hr drive max.