New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:41 pm There is very minimal historical or urban fabric left (part of my original argument). This area is gonna see parking lots spring up. Might as well building a stadium there too and its not like there can't also be some stadium adjacent development there.
So, you're saying build the stadium on Paseo West? Doesn't that make it even further from the city center and totally separated due to EV parking lots? And I'd really like your thoughts on North Loop. What's the barrier on that spot?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:39 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:41 pm There is very minimal historical or urban fabric left (part of my original argument). This area is gonna see parking lots spring up. Might as well building a stadium there too and its not like there can't also be some stadium adjacent development there.
So, you're saying build the stadium on Paseo West? Doesn't that make it even further from the city center and totally separated due to EV parking lots? And I'd really like your thoughts on North Loop. What's the barrier on that spot?
My idea is based on the assumption that EV gets Royals, mixed-use development, and parking garages.

News reads that Royals want to move as soon as possible. NorthLoop closure is an administrative, political, and maybe legal battle waiting to happen
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 pm NorthLoop closure is an administrative, political, and maybe legal battle waiting to happen
I'd say a big project like this would be one of the only ways to push it through though. If not, it's probably a dead-end opportunity and we'll be stuck with the highway for a long time.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:16 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 pm NorthLoop closure is an administrative, political, and maybe legal battle waiting to happen
I'd say a big project like this would be one of the only ways to push it through though. If not, it's probably a dead-end opportunity and we'll be stuck with the highway for a long time.
Maybe if they didn't want a 2026 or 2027 opening.....
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:22 pm Maybe if they didn't want a 2026 or 2027 opening.....
I don’t think they know what they want and negotiations haven’t even really started yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if we reach the end of the lease before moving.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:23 pm I still don’t understand why there’s no talk about North Loop along with highway removal. Just enough room to build the stadium and have it surrounded by buildings, so no parking lots. It’s on the streetcar line with a stop already and would connect River Market to DT. I see absolutely no downside.
If I thought North Loop removal in combination Kauffman 2.0 was possible I'd support it all the way. Frankly I just don't see how we do highway removal for the North Loop without a massive helping hand from the feds. Probably way too complicated not to mention slow moving to get federal, state, local officials all on the same page to meet the needs of the Royals. Wish it was possible. That being said removing the north loop remains one of my highest aspirations for the city in the medium term.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I was under the impression that the new ONeil bridge crossing and interchange was a precursor to North Loop removal. It’s probably the only reason why I never complained more about how terrible the new bridge design is. If it had to happen to get north loop removal in the future, I could hold my nose. Not good.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:58 pm I was under the impression that the new ONeil bridge crossing and interchange was a precursor to North Loop removal. It’s probably the only reason why I never complained more about how terrible the new bridge design is. If it had to happen to get north loop removal in the future, I could hold my nose. Not good.
It is for MoDot support and for actual traffic flows. However, KCK/KDOT/etc are against North Loop removal.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:58 pm I was under the impression that the new ONeil bridge crossing and interchange was a precursor to North Loop removal. It’s probably the only reason why I never complained more about how terrible the new bridge design is. If it had to happen to get north loop removal in the future, I could hold my nose. Not good.
It is for MoDot support and for actual traffic flows. However, KCK/KDOT/etc are against North Loop removal.
I've heard the reasonsing before but we really truly should NOT make a north loop decision based on KCK or anything Kansas. Have they not destroyed enough of KCMO already?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:00 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 pm
I've heard the reasonsing before but we really truly should NOT make a north loop decision based on KCK or anything Kansas. Have they not destroyed enough of KCMO already?
As I understand it, Kansas has the power to stop or delay a change.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

North Loop removal could be a boon to KCK give how KCMO's urban renaissance has benefitted residential growth in her neighborhoods.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The chiefs currently utilize every bit of the surface parking at tsc on game days. A move closer to public transportation would have a fractional impact on surface lot needs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I can't believe anybody on this forum would support an NFL stadium anywhere near downtown.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am I can't believe anybody on this forum would support an NFL stadium anywhere near downtown.
The stadium in Harlem would be cool
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am I can't believe anybody on this forum would support an NFL stadium anywhere near downtown.
Not exactly DT but I've been to Seattle's NFL stadium and it's very nice. I'd be for a stadium on the north river or close enough to DT to be connected easily by rail.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 am The chiefs currently utilize every bit of the surface parking at tsc on game days. A move closer to public transportation would have a fractional impact on surface lot needs.
I’m not saying other cities go without any surface parking or that it’s perfect but I don’t understand why no one thinks it can’t get better here.

The other urban mid-sized city stadiums have a fraction of the amount of surface parking as TSC.

Paseo West is pretty much all fenced off concrete block industrial. A stadium there is an improvement for Paseo West and downtown.

What is unique about this site is that it’s cut off from all other neighborhoods accept for East Village which becomes Royals&Mixed Use in this vision.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The sweet spot is right on the outskirts of downtown like Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis have right now. That’s where we need to go with it.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:05 pm
The sweet spot is right on the outskirts of downtown like Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis have right now. That’s where we need to go with it.
Agreed. Its just (I say loosely) a matter of finding real estate big enough to make it worth their while and thats probably more than just a stadium on its own now as everyone wants in the development game.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:05 pm
Going to a games in 2 of those cities sparked my Paseo West idea.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I would support something on the outskirts of downtown if they for some reason verify TSC is in shambles structurally. Or if they simply came out and said they have no interest in TSC anymore and a move was 100% going to happen, but that also opens the window for Kansas and I'll fight that with my pocket book.