NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’d almost be for a East Village location over Arrowhead if you absolutely had to have lots of space. At least you would get people into that area thinking about a DT ballpark and what it would feel like.
User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 32268
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: NFL Draft

Post by KCPowercat »

Might as well get used to having crowds of sports fans over there
Link2
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

Confirmed the draft will still take place at Union Station. There have always been concerns with the weight restrictions in front, but those are being addressed.
User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: Briarcliff

Re: NFL Draft

Post by rxlexi »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 pm Confirmed the draft will still take place at Union Station. There have always been concerns with the weight restrictions in front, but those are being addressed.
Awesome! I've been a little surprised how quiet things have been until very recently about the 2023 Draft - these events are a huge deal and I would have thought all of this planning would have been completed before now, with downtown businesses circling the dates and salivating. Either way, should be a blast and great showcase for the city.
Link2
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:49 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 pm Confirmed the draft will still take place at Union Station. There have always been concerns with the weight restrictions in front, but those are being addressed.
Awesome! I've been a little surprised how quiet things have been until very recently about the 2023 Draft - these events are a huge deal and I would have thought all of this planning would have been completed before now, with downtown businesses circling the dates and salivating. Either way, should be a blast and great showcase for the city.
Agreed, it is a weird feeling pre-mega event. But from what I've been told -- just like with the Super Bowl -- you will not hear much publicly from the league for the most part leading up to it, then all of a sudden a few months out, everything happens. But there is so much going on behind the scenes, and the NFL is in KC quite frequently for sites and planning sessions. We're likely to experience this in full beginning about 8-10 weeks out once the Super Bowl has concluded.
UMKC Roo
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:39 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by UMKC Roo »

It's interesting you both say that- I think it's ironically a good thing.

I was in Detroit back in April- they hold the 2024 Draft. It was being promoted everywhere in Detroit with banners, flagpoles, fliers, etc. It seemed like the greatest deal ever to Detroit. I thought about how in KC the Draft is sort of a...footnote. I've asked sports friends if they're attending and most shrug and don't care.

I think that goes to show how far along KC has come up compared to alot of these cities, particularly other Midwest cities who'd be ecstatic about the Draft. Kansas City has experienced an ASG, MLS Cup, two World Series, two Super Bowls, 4 AFC Titles hosted, an NCAA championship and now a new NWSL team + stadium all in a span of 10 years. That's a ton.

When you put all that in perspective, it makes sense why having something like the NFL Draft doesn't "wow" the residents as much as it would've in 2009. KC has experienced *alot* of big time events. Host cities like Detroit have not, and that's why I believe it was a much bigger deal to Detroit. I really think this goes to show how much KC has come up to where the NFL Draft is just "another day" here.
Last edited by UMKC Roo on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 pm Confirmed the draft will still take place at Union Station. There have always been concerns with the weight restrictions in front, but those are being addressed.
I always assumed the actual draft part of the program would be in the great hall. Is that not the case? I thought it would be great to have the draftees come out with low camera views to the ceiling and huge windows. Would be so cool.
Link2
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:28 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 pm Confirmed the draft will still take place at Union Station. There have always been concerns with the weight restrictions in front, but those are being addressed.
I always assumed the actual draft part of the program would be in the great hall. Is that not the case? I thought it would be great to have the draftees come out with low camera views to the ceiling and huge windows. Would be so cool.
Completely agree -- that would be a very cool shot. But no, the draft itself will take place in front of Union Station on a massive stage as part of an even larger overall setup out there (green room, media areas, fan areas, VIP, etc.). On top of all that, there will also be a giant NFL Draft Experience (similar to MLB All-Star Fan Fest), but outdoors.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:33 pm Completely agree -- that would be a very cool shot. But no, the draft itself will take place in front of Union Station on a massive stage as part of an even larger overall setup out there (green room, media areas, fan areas, VIP, etc.). On top of all that, there will also be a giant NFL Draft Experience (similar to MLB All-Star Fan Fest), but outdoors.
I guess that's fine. Just not sure of the need to build the big stage to take up more space for people being outside watching by video screen. Maybe, the historic people at Union Station wouldn't like the idea of building seating in the great hall for some spectators and team representatives. Fingers crossed that the weather is nice that week. Also, they should just close all the roads downtown for that: Main St, Pershing all the way through Crown Center, Grand. Streetcar and pedestrian only. Park at Crown Center or US garage coming from the south or ride the streetcar from parking from anywhere north.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by DColeKC »

Inside union station isn’t big enough by a long shot to hold just the draft portion. You could have 15-20k people watching the draft on top of the 10-14k who pay to access the area closest to the stage.

As for NFL and lack of info. It’s impressive what they get done in short amounts of time. They don’t really start any of the work until 6 months out and they also have the Super Bowl planning overlapping. The draft is a huge event but it’s on par with a major multi-day music festival.

As for Detroit advertising and KC seemingly not excited about the draft. Couldn’t be further from the truth. I don’t think KC needs to advertise, the NFL will do that for us. There are people behind the scenes who are very excited and have began working on this. You won’t see any of that info until shortly before the draft.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 am Inside union station isn’t big enough by a long shot to hold just the draft portion.
It’s larger than the theater in NYC where it was held for decades with no issues. Sure, you want to involve many more people, but most all are going to see this via video board anyway. Make the grand hall the inner sanctum for teams and vips and charge for access. This event is almost more about marketing the city on national television for two days than anything. Show off the best parts all the time instead of some tent stage in a parking lot.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 am Inside union station isn’t big enough by a long shot to hold just the draft portion.
It’s larger than the theater in NYC where it was held for decades with no issues. Sure, you want to involve many more people, but most all are going to see this via video board anyway. Make the grand hall the inner sanctum for teams and vips and charge for access. This event is almost more about marketing the city on national television for two days than anything. Show off the best parts all the time instead of some tent stage in a parking lot.
Well, it’s a 5 million dollar “tent” stage first off. Secondly, it was moved away from the theatre setting for dozens of reasons so there’s no desire to go back to that. The stage placement will allow for some epic shots including overhead drone and helicopter shots.

This is all about showing off the city and that’s hard to do when 90% of your shots are inside a historic (and active) train station.

NFL fans are used to watching things on giant LED screens, they don’t mind.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just don’t want it in any way to feel like Las Vegas. It has to feel like it’s in a vibrant, active city and in no way a parking lot. If you can put it in a parking lot and not make it look like a parking lot, you’re a true magician.
Link2
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:13 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 am Inside union station isn’t big enough by a long shot to hold just the draft portion.
It’s larger than the theater in NYC where it was held for decades with no issues. Sure, you want to involve many more people, but most all are going to see this via video board anyway. Make the grand hall the inner sanctum for teams and vips and charge for access. This event is almost more about marketing the city on national television for two days than anything. Show off the best parts all the time instead of some tent stage in a parking lot.
Well, it’s a 5 million dollar “tent” stage first off. Secondly, it was moved away from the theatre setting for dozens of reasons so there’s no desire to go back to that. The stage placement will allow for some epic shots including overhead drone and helicopter shots.

This is all about showing off the city and that’s hard to do when 90% of your shots are inside a historic (and active) train station.

NFL fans are used to watching things on giant LED screens, they don’t mind.
Exactly. And with estimated three-day attendance in the 350,000+ range, inside Union Station could never be a consideration for an event of this size.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

Link2 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am Exactly. And with estimated three-day attendance in the 350,000+ range, inside Union Station could never be a consideration for an event of this size.
With 350,000 people, no ones going to be able to see anything in person anyway! Who cares if they see on a video board the events happening inside the station or on a stage outside of it that they can't see with their own eyes anyway? Personally, I care more about the promotion of the city to the rest of the world vs any tiny change in the event for those from here. Do whatever shows off the city the best. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a good impression.
Link2
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:52 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am Exactly. And with estimated three-day attendance in the 350,000+ range, inside Union Station could never be a consideration for an event of this size.
With 350,000 people, no ones going to be able to see anything in person anyway! Who cares if they see on a video board the events happening inside the station or on a stage outside of it that they can't see with their own eyes anyway?
I understand your point, but it's not happening with the rapid growth of the event. With it expanding each and every year, the league would not go backward and downsize the event. Nor would we want them to.

As DColeKC mentioned just prior, this event really is about not only the tens of millions in projected impact -- if not $100+ million -- but also the ability to showcase the destination on a truly global scale. Much harder to do that if the event takes place indoors.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

Link2 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm I understand your point, but it's not happening with the rapid growth of the event. With it expanding each and every year, the league would not go backward and downsize the event. Nor would we want them to.

As DColeKC mentioned just prior, this event really is about not only the tens of millions in projected impact -- if not $100+ million -- but also the ability to showcase the destination on a truly global scale. Much harder to do that if the event takes place indoors.
I'm just glad it's still at Union Station. You'll still get great shots of the huge crowd in front of an iconic KC building with DT in the background.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:05 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm I understand your point, but it's not happening with the rapid growth of the event. With it expanding each and every year, the league would not go backward and downsize the event. Nor would we want them to.

As DColeKC mentioned just prior, this event really is about not only the tens of millions in projected impact -- if not $100+ million -- but also the ability to showcase the destination on a truly global scale. Much harder to do that if the event takes place indoors.
I'm just glad it's still at Union Station. You'll still get great shots of the huge crowd in front of an iconic KC building with DT in the background.
Being outside of Union Station with the downtown KC skyline in the background is the best possible scenario for our city. I'm glad it's staying there like it should. I also can't wait to hear how they plan to address the weight issue because that's right up my alley. I'd watch an entire 2 hour youtube video on something like that.

This won't feel anything like Vegas, I can guarantee that. Like I said before, they only got the Draft because you get rewarded as a franchise if you spend 5 billion on a stadium.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: NFL Draft

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think it’s going to be spectacular at Union Station. Couldn’t be more excited. Knowing Kansas City, the streets will be full the entire time, streetcar running, CC full and hopefully beautiful weather. Will be hearing for months how surprising great KC is, just like when the ASG came to town. We know how to show up.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7473
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: NFL Draft

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 pm I think it’s going to be spectacular at Union Station. Couldn’t be more excited. Knowing Kansas City, the streets will be full the entire time, streetcar running, CC full and hopefully beautiful weather. Will be hearing for months how surprising great KC is, just like when the ASG came to town. We know how to show up.
I hope they don't close the streetcar as they did during previous major sports events.
Post Reply