2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Seems like a joke candidacy, but Andrew E. McGuire is "running" for mayor. He posts a lot on his Facebook and a Google Search revealed he sued the city over not finding his stolen scooter.
https://www.facebook.com/AEM4MAYOR
https://casetext.com/case/mcguire-v-city-of-kansas-city

I doubt any real candidate will run against Lucas, especially since he seems to have taken a turn recently in terms of policy. It is the start of election season, so this shift was to be expected. The homelessness policy announced today, push to change the development process to pre-approved incentives and laying a clear roadmap if you seek incentives, and then focusing on wanting to plant more trees on high-trafficked streets to combat health issues (like asthma) seem to appeal to most people in town.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I really want Mayor Q to win mostly because I just want keep Brian Platt in there
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:13 pm I really want Mayor Q to win mostly because I just want keep Brian Platt in there
Brian Platt has been really good and seems to like what he's doing. He needs to be retained. Do City Managers have tenure limits?

Also, here's the Rizzo campaign website. Not much on it in terms of policy: https://rizzoforthecity.com
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

No CM tenure limits, contract is voted on by the Council. Last CM, Troy Schulte, was in place for 10 years.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Going back through city council meetings... Feels like tensions are growing between Council and CM, Mayor and CM.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:31 pm Going back through city council meetings... Feels like tensions are growing between Council and CM, Mayor and CM.
On what topics?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:41 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:31 pm Going back through city council meetings... Feels like tensions are growing between Council and CM, Mayor and CM.
On what topics?
12 Broadway, KCI, General Development, communication.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:06 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:41 pm
On what topics?
12 Broadway, KCI, General Development, communication.
Who has which conflicting positions?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:20 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:13 pm I really want Mayor Q to win mostly because I just want keep Brian Platt in there
Brian Platt has been really good and seems to like what he's doing. He needs to be retained. Do City Managers have tenure limits?

Also, here's the Rizzo campaign website. Not much on it in terms of policy: https://rizzoforthecity.com
There was a discussion on Kansas City Week in Review on PBS tonight that Brian Platt might be on the way out. They reported there are rumblings on the City Council and that he is losing support there.

Michael Mahoney and Dave Helling both said they had heard rumors of it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:45 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:20 pm

There was a discussion on Kansas City Week in Review on PBS tonight that Brian Platt might be on the way out. They reported there are rumblings on the City Council and that he is losing support there.

Michael Mahoney and Dave Helling both said they had heard rumors of it.
Tough to hear. Love most of his ideas and the direction he’s pushing the city
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I feel like he’s too progressive and too fast for the Council/Mayor. Especially this council that seems slower and less productive generally than others.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We got to keep Platt in there at all costs...look at how many things he's moving for us
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As someone who has observed politics for a long time, and worked in state government for an agency head, this is my take. I think Platt has made the mistake of aligning himself too strongly with just the mayor, and one or two other council members, and has not worked hard enough to earn the trust and support of the others.

Being a city manager is more than making sure the snow plows do their work, and potholes get fixed, it means serving a constituency of at least a majority of the City Council and keeping them pleased.

The city manager doesn't really work for the residents of the municipality as much as they work for the mayor and council as an executive. Voters can't fire the city manager, only the council can.

While I'm not in the back rooms of City Hall listening to Council members talk, I'm guessing they aren't too pleased with this streamlining proposal that has the city manager solely responsible for doling out incentives. It hands too much power to one person and diminishes the power of Council members. I could be wrong. Someone tell me differently if you have evidence I'm off the mark here.

That said, I think it would be a mistake to change city managers now, and I don't think Platt has done anything to deserve removal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I was always worried that a Jewish white guy from the east coast who seemed to connect with urbanism was going to avoid the pitfalls and traps for long in this city. My guess is the east side councilpeople have made an alliance with the suburbanite councilpeople and will show that our urban core really doesn’t have a shot.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It’s more than just the incentive proposal
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The most counterproductive thing our government can do is boot Platt. He gets things done and quick.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I’ve talked to some people and Platt isn’t going anywhere. I’m sorry if I contributed to any of the gossip. Heard “zero chance”.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:13 am I’ve talked to some people and Platt isn’t going anywhere. I’m sorry if I contributed to any of the gossip. Heard “zero chance”.
This is fantastic. I was very concerned for a second that the city was about to shoot ourselves in both feet..
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

He's making many organizational changes because of the early retirement offer during Covid, which necessitated moving a lot of people to new positions. In addition to the needed changes that always exist in a 150+-year-old organization.

People hate change, especially government employees. So I'm sure hell is being raised inside city hall. Not to mention the hell that is probably being raised by the utilities.

I just hope we have the fortitude to stay the course.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

He moved to take council members off all RFP/ contract selection committees. They did not like that move and so he reversed course.