Kansas City Fly Over

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Kansas City Fly Over

Post by GRID »

KCMO just needs embrace incentives for unban projects. They don't have to be east of Troost either. KC still competes with KS. JoCo is building major office projects with incentives which is something that is actually not that common now (new suburban office construction).

KC residents and elected officials are too emotional or something about incentives being used when they are used without question in affluent parts of JoCo. If KCMO stops dragging things down with incentive issues, I think the city would see a lot more development and a larger share of regional development.

People need to be educated that urban development with incentives is better than suburban development without incentives. But remember, most suburban development in KC is built with incentives, so urban development with incentives is really the only option to truly compete.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm

That was a bad 30 years (except for 2010's). The next 30 will be much better. However, I'd much rather have infill focus than skyline focus.
I honestly don't see how. It's hard to look past 10-15 years, but I don't see KC adding more than one or two 20-30 story buildings after three light. Four light is probably 5-6 years out. Over the next 10-15 years, KC will once again have a glut of suburban office space to fill up like Cerner or whatever new gets built in JoCo and JoCo subleases.

Best case scenario over next 15 years I think will be 4 Light, maybe that 20 story at the old transit center another one or two 12-15 story residentials probably in crossroads (and the one by KCsouthern). And if KC is really lucky one of the several proposed smaller office buildings like Strata or the one by Municipal will go up, but doubtful unless a company decides to move downtown.

But again all that will not really change the skyline at all. KC will probably not see a skyline changing building for at least another 15-20 years when the market is strong enough for a new tall residential or hotel tower, a downtown stadium would probably be what helps make a tall residential or hotel happen.

Come to think of it. I can't think of many cities that have not built a 30+ story building or has them UC now. Even Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincy etc have while KC has not. Memphis is about the only major city that comes to mind.

But I agree, infill is great, but would still be nice if KC built at least a couple more 30+ story buildings.
We are running out of high earners willing to live downtown and commute to jobs in OP. Not sure if we have enough as is to support a taller highrise.
I know that. That's why I keep mentioning office space as being so important which often means those big towers that KC is not getting. With all the new office space going up still in JoCo, those areas will intercept even more people from living downtown. JoCo is getting into the big mixed used master planned stuff along 435 etc. That's going to really put a dent in what happens in downtown KC. You will also end up with a major new hotel tower in Overland Park like a hyatt or omni or something before one goes up downtown for the same reasons.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm I mean there was some change but didn't really get going until about 10-15 yrs ago. arena, P&L. 1 & 2 Light, HR Block HQ, Lowes Convention Hotel. PAC, Reverb, plus some other reno's and building in crossroads that is not very vertical but new stuff and new life. Heck the re-do of the old TWA HQ for Barkley adding back the rocket was nice. So there is a lot there, maybe nothing that really jumps out of the photo from the drone shots.
I can't speak to the old days- I've only really been heavily following KC development since about 2019

Since I began watching in 2019 there have only been 3 main things I steadfastly wanted to happen in KC that I think would be game-changers:
1. The South Loop Cap
2. The World Cup
3. Royals downtown

Two of those are accomplished and the third is probably happening now. These have been my main priorities since I got here, and it's been successful- so from my POV, I've seen KC do well. I think KC has been alot of headways with infill projects as well, many of which I didn't even know were in play (i.e. womens stadium). That's why I'm optimistic going forward- I personally haven't seen much go wrong. There's been alot of unexpected surprises as well. The only bad failure I've seen in KC in my timeframe has been Mac's project. I do understand it has been bad in the past however.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm
We are running out of high earners willing to live downtown and commute to jobs in OP. Not sure if we have enough as is to support a taller highrise.
I know that. That's why I keep mentioning office space as being so important which often means those big towers that KC is not getting. With all the new office space going up still in JoCo, those areas will intercept even more people from living downtown. JoCo is getting into the big mixed used master planned stuff along 435 etc. That's going to really put a dent in what happens in downtown KC. You will also end up with a major new hotel tower in Overland Park like a hyatt or omni or something before one goes up downtown for the same reasons.
totally we are on the same page. Like I said on another thread, if we shifted all JoCo apartment construction to downtown every lot in Crossroads, Loop, etc would be filled in 1 decade.