OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I actually think the local options will be fine. PDX comes to mind as an airport that really leans into local vendors. I travel there frequently for family purposes. Personally I love their vendors and maybe I'm just aloof to all the 5 year old throwing temper tantrums over chicken nuggets but I just don't really see it. KC like Portland takes a lot of pride in our local eateries and businesses and I think embracing that part of our image is for the better. Dunkin satisfies the need for ubiquitous albeit terrible coffee and perhaps a McDs would be good but I'm rooting for all the local vendors to succeed and my prediction is the vast majority actually will.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:01 pm I actually think the local options will be fine. PDX comes to mind as an airport that really leans into local vendors. I travel there frequently for family purposes. Personally I love their vendors and maybe I'm just aloof to all the 5 year old throwing temper tantrums over chicken nuggets but I just don't really see it. KC like Portland takes a lot of pride in our local eateries and businesses and I think embracing that part of our image is for the better. Dunkin satisfies the need for ubiquitous albeit terrible coffee and perhaps a McDs would be good but I'm rooting for all the local vendors to succeed and my prediction is the vast majority actually will.
Just admit it, you fly to Portland frequently for your Antifa meetings.;)

Joking but I do agree with you on this completely. Nothing wrong with one or two nationally known spots but the vendors should rep the city just like the decor and welcoming attitude.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:37 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:01 pm I actually think the local options will be fine. PDX comes to mind as an airport that really leans into local vendors. I travel there frequently for family purposes. Personally I love their vendors and maybe I'm just aloof to all the 5 year old throwing temper tantrums over chicken nuggets but I just don't really see it. KC like Portland takes a lot of pride in our local eateries and businesses and I think embracing that part of our image is for the better. Dunkin satisfies the need for ubiquitous albeit terrible coffee and perhaps a McDs would be good but I'm rooting for all the local vendors to succeed and my prediction is the vast majority actually will.
Just admit it, you fly to Portland frequently for your Antifa meetings.;)

Joking but I do agree with you on this completely. Nothing wrong with one or two nationally known spots but the vendors should rep the city just like the decor and welcoming attitude.
At Indoc they told me to deny Antifa's existence
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Everything the news is saying points to an opening around early March. This is exactly as expected
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:45 pm Everything the news is saying points to an opening around early March. This is exactly as expected
Was hoping they could get it in late January so the AFC Championship (if Chiefs get it) would be ready by then. I suppose the NFL media will all see it when they come in April anyway. Glad they are gonna be open early March so that Big 12 tournament is covered.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To be clear it was the ones leading the media around that hinted at February somehow or it wouldn't have come out that way.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:54 pm To be clear it was the ones leading the media around that hinted at February somehow or it wouldn't have come out that way.

Sure. but last week of February (what they where told) is really not far off from 1st week of March (what we had been expecting).
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I've always been of the opinion.
Feel free to go all local for sit down restaurants.
Names people know for fast/fast casual. A bit of an exception to this if it is very obvious what they will have. For example, if there is a local chipotle type place, fine, people will be able to order something similar to they are used to quickly. I am very surprised there isn't one mcds/wendys/etc in each "node". As others mentioned I think you really need at least one of those type places. Although not my go to, sometimes if I have a quick connection it just is easiest to go that route, you know what you are going to get, easy order, and in theory quick.

Coffee I feel like doesn't matter local/non-local. As long as people know its a coffee place, they will figure it out pretty quickly.

Side comment: Has there been any concern about staffing the new terminal? I know there are issues staffing the current spots, is that going to carry over? or do people seem to think they will get staffing together? If the new terminal opens and places can't stay open due to lack of staff, it sure will be a bit of a sour note.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The number of times I've thought about what I'm eating while at an airport is a grand total of zero
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Maybe the reason they were able to get so many local restaurants to commit to the airport is because of the lack of national brand names.

I’m guessing Parisi And Messenger would find it more difficult if they were sharing a terminal with a Starbucks.

KCDowntown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:10 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:47 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Thanks for posting a readable version of that. As much as I like the local theme, I think they have made a mistake in not seeking out a McDonalds (or other fast food chain) or Starbucks. All but the very adventurous traveller's like what they like or at least something familiar and those from out of town are not going to find it at KCI. I suspect we will see some of the concessions change within a year or two at the most.
Yeah, I think you will see some of these close and be replaced by the likes of and Chipotle and McDonalds. It will be interesting to see what survives.
I'd sure hope not. I hope these locals do well.
Oh I agree. Well honestly, I don't really think it matters much, but maybe local places will take more pride in providing better products and service. I don't care if it's local or not, just having options will be amazing. I just think it will be interesting to see how well they do. I hope they do well. There are still al of of people in KC that almost "want" to see this new terminal fail just so they can say "I told you so". As soon as places close, and they will, people will say stupid things. I was saying that if they do close, they would likely be replaced by chains that are more able to take the risks and absorb the cost of doing business at an airport.

Seeing all the video of the recent open house to the media, it looks like it will be a lot nicer and open than I thought. Ceiling heights etc don't seem as low as it seemed before (at least in the concourse corridors) and it's so compact that even walking to the bus lanes in the garage is probably fine so long as the are running buses on both levels.

I really look forward to using the new terminal and I really hope the people that don't get this new terminal stop with the hate and embrace it. It really makes people from KC seem really ignorant to be against having a modern airport terminal with basic airport amenities that are found in every other airport it the country.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It would be neat if they can get the people mover built by Summer 2026.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:49 am
GRID wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:47 pm

Yeah, I think you will see some of these close and be replaced by the likes of and Chipotle and McDonalds. It will be interesting to see what survives.
There are still alot of people in KC that almost "want" to see this new terminal fail just so they can say "I told you so". As soon as places close, and they will, people will say stupid things.
Where are "all these people"? I don't know one who has voiced this point of view.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kansas City Star: 360 Video: Tour the nearly completed single terminal at Kansas City International Airport.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 67281.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:52 am

There are still alot of people in KC that almost "want" to see this new terminal fail just so they can say "I told you so". As soon as places close, and they will, people will say stupid things.
Where are "all these people"? I don't know one who has voiced this point of view.
Agree. I haven't heard this once and I am around a lot of nay sayers.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yea, i don't hear this at all. In fact, i hear a lot of people ready for the new terminal to be open.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

social media. I know, I should ignore that but it's what I see mostly since I don't live there. Good to hear it's not really the case.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:08 am

social media. I know, I should ignore that but it's what I see mostly since I don't live there. Good to hear it's not really the case.
I didn't read every reddit post but the ones I did read not one person voiced this opinion in a huge response to the new map. That is a userbase that is against about anything