Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Westport

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am It did not survive. The Tailleur people are opening a cafe/bar in the spot.

https://cityscenekc.com/the-parisian-ca ... -and-main/
I really think the Tailleur people could open a concept anywhere and turn it into a success. They are about to take a 3rd building on with limited parking/site distance and turn it into another hot spot.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:50 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am It did not survive. The Tailleur people are opening a cafe/bar in the spot.

https://cityscenekc.com/the-parisian-ca ... -and-main/
I really think the Tailleur people could open a concept anywhere and turn it into a success. They are about to take a 3rd building on with limited parking/site distance and turn it into another hot spot.
Went to Tailleur last night for the first time. FANTASTIC vibes inside. Good Sazeracs too
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Fountains wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:24 pm They finally repainted those green lanes. Westport already looks better! Now once they get the Riot Room building rebuilt and fix the side walk by World Market that looks like it was dipped in acid it will finally look like a presentable entertainment district. Next step after thar should be fixing up/developing the Eastern part that heads to Main St.
I’d love to see the park at Westport and Broadway redone. It would go a long way to jumping Broadway and moving toward the streetcar. It’d make a good outdoor dining area.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

“Bumuda triangle”..
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

Does anyone know what the deal is with the blocked off area along Broadway (The Washington St, Broadway 40th St/Terrace Triangle) and They put up a bunch of white bollards that appear to be permanent. Thought it was a bike lane but it’s a huge area that's been blocked off.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/19656694 ... bk0g4372qK
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

That's super weird, NEgoofyfoot. I have no idea why they would do that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Yes, traffic calming at one of the most dangerous intersections in KC.

Eventual goal is to use the new space for people!
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:05 pm Yes, traffic calming at one of the most dangerous intersections in KC.

That makes sense & definitely needed. Thanks for the insight, could make for a great little urban park like they have in Times Square or Herald Square, or a spot for food trucks to gather!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NEgoofyfoot wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:02 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:05 pm Yes, traffic calming at one of the most dangerous intersections in KC.

That makes sense & definitely needed. Thanks for the insight, could make for a great little urban park like they have in Times Square or Herald Square, or a spot for food trucks to gather!
I am not sure what the budget is but a people-oriented space is the goal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am disappointed by how quickly any paint wears away. Why are we not using colored asphalt or concrete?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it seems foolish to use paint when there is the likelihood of a lot of wear and tear, and expansion/contraction of the surface from heat/cold.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

The project in Westport is part of a small PIAC request that was approved a couple of years ago. The intent of the request was to take back some space from the street using bollards and working with stakeholders to improve the spaces for activity. Westport Regional Business League / Multistudio / StreetSmartsKC have been working on this for awhile now. It is a work-in-progress.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Canary in a coalmine was doomed from the start, let’s put fine dining in a neighborhood full of government housing creating classism in what they’re trying to gentrify. Not to mention how poorly / cheaply built it was, I lived in that building out of pure necessity since I worked across the street, the first year it opened, and worked on that corner for seven years. That space needs to be something that caters to the neighborhood not weekend warrior yuppies from the burbs.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:46 pm That space needs to be something that caters to the neighborhood not weekend warrior yuppies from the burbs.
Couldn't u say that about the Russell, billies grocery. Taeullor, cheval and a few others? Canary was probably making money but the pitch story says all the staff walked out and the new owners wanted to change everything around, I guarantee something else goes into the space.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Oh absolutely. That entire corner is about to evolve once more into something new. I am very curious to see what will replace that space.

On the flipside I worked for the Johnny Kaws conglomerate for a year back in 2018 and I remember when Brett acquired the Californos building. Does anyone know what’s going on with his “cowboy bar” I remember they released a trailer about a year ago with some photographs of an actual bar space that had been built, rumors of a mechanical bull, and combining the space with the current Yard Bar, only to increase capacity. Whatever happened to all that?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:46 pm That space needs to be something that caters to the neighborhood not weekend warrior yuppies from the burbs.
https://foursquare.com/v/harlings-upsta ... 20f5e222e3
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:48 pm
Couldn't u say that about the Russell, billies grocery. Taeullor, cheval and a few others? Canary was probably making money but the pitch story says all the staff walked out and the new owners wanted to change everything around, I guarantee something else goes into the space.
Something will go back in there and sounds like the change of management was the driver behind the issues. I'm not in the restaurant business but I seem to recall this type of change usually being a killer for places, especially places doing well.

That stretch of Main from Armour Down to about 43rd st is going to go through some major change and development over the next 5 years. Some has already been completed, some is underway, and I'm several more in the planning stages. The area will become gentrified for sure, but that's not saying much given some of the socio-economics at work in the area currently. Going up was a given. I can see the "Yuppies" mixing well with the art school kids in the area and hopefully there will be a decent mix of housing options to keep for a good mix of residents, I guess we will see but regardless mid town will continue it's revival which is great.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Harlings… I remember going there underage and the rooftop patio of theirs that seemed like it was falling off the building.

Thank you for answering my questions about Kaws, I felt like SpongeBob working there, in that episode where he has to make thousands of anchovies crabby patties.

You’re probably right about the yuppies and the art kids, I forget that the majority of them are the same thing in the multi-verse.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:22 pm Oh absolutely. That entire corner is about to evolve once more into something new. I am very curious to see what will replace that space.

On the flipside I worked for the Johnny Kaws conglomerate for a year back in 2018 and I remember when Brett acquired the Californos building. Does anyone know what’s going on with his “cowboy bar” I remember they released a trailer about a year ago with some photographs of an actual bar space that had been built, rumors of a mechanical bull, and combining the space with the current Yard Bar, only to increase capacity. Whatever happened to all that?
Haven't heard any updates but maybe he figured out it was a bad idea.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

No shit, their first concept was a flop, those people only care about money, they’re completely detached from what’s actually going on in Kansas City.