3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

What the fresh hell is this? This can’t be the same project, right?!?!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 am What the fresh hell is this? This can’t be the same project, right?!?!
No joke. What happened to the previous projects? And that spot needs ground level retail or something. That's a high profile corner.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I would be interested in their reasoning for no retail or walk ups on the south side.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The whole point is to be a TOD site. Someone doesn't know what that means. Or is this a different project?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Will the garage be public? Maybe it can be a park and ride or something…..regardless, this is a really poor design for the site
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Well so much for an interesting project with potential. Just another slapped together box with paint. Shame some of the previous renderings, the stylish ones, the ones used at the PIEA meetings, were cast aside. Glad it’s development, shame it sucks from design & function standpoint
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Everything I get, beyond the ground floor being bad, is that the rendering we’ve seen does seem to match the plans shown. The elevations are tacky. No ground floor activation on 3rd is what surprised me the most of this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Some mention that total number of spaces declined from previous iterations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:02 am Some mention that total number of spaces declined from previous iterations.
https://twitter.com/EricWBunch/status/1 ... 9490114560
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Can the city stop this and negotiate for a better ground floor?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:06 pm Can the city stop this and negotiate for a better ground floor?
I imagine they could. Wasn’t the approval process held up at the Ascend/Defeo project at 3rd and Oak because the Oak side wasn’t what they had hoped? Adequate changes were then done and the project was approved. So I guess they can do the same thing here.

What I learned from this 3rd and Grand project is that in response to an RFP, make sure you include diagrams and renderings of the ground floor and then stick with those so people don’t get false ideas.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This would be a good example for that site.

The Bower, Washington DC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.874919 ... 384!8i8192
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes. Likey.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^^The FAA would shit themselves like they did with everything else that’s new and proposed in the neighborhood. I’m in for a redesign.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 pm ^^The FAA would shit themselves like they did with everything else that’s new and proposed in the neighborhood. I’m in for a redesign.
I think another factor that concerns me is if the city allows that horrific ground floor to happen, then many future developments will see that it's okay to do that too. City needs to send a signal that they demand a real ground floor of retail/amenities so future projects don't waste time and have to re-draw.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 pm ^^The FAA would shit themselves like they did with everything else that’s new and proposed in the neighborhood. I’m in for a redesign.
I think another factor that concerns me is if the city allows that horrific ground floor to happen, then many future developments will see that it's okay to do that too. City needs to send a signal that they demand a real ground floor of retail/amenities so future projects don't waste time and have to re-draw.
I think getting the City Manager's attention is all it will take to get this addressed. He seems to be on it and openly wants KC to get more vibrant. It can't get more vibrant with ground floors like these in the newest buildings.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Lots of great pushback by the Planning on this project (asking for better materials, walk up units or commercial, etc.)

However this comment took me by surprise:
The proposed height of the building is not in compliance with the Greater Downtown Area Plan. Staff recommends reducing parking to reduce the height of the building.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ab=reviews

This is on major transit routes and Streetcar and bikeways. This should be whatever height the economy can support. Hilarious we are building transit and then setting maximums to density along it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't see why a 10-story building couldn't go there. The site at 5th and Main has a proposed 13-story building.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ground floor continues to be a complete flop
https://twitter.com/joshboehm/status/16 ... nuHX7uYY9A
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:25 pm Ground floor continues to be a complete flop
https://twitter.com/joshboehm/status/16 ... nuHX7uYY9A
I feel like I'm becoming the new GRID (a compliment) but I am dismayed that this is allowed to happen. Does KC have an actual interest in becoming a walkable dense place? Where is the weak link in the process today? Is it the Planning department? Council? This is a key location and the parking garage entrances front 3rd and there is limited ground floor activation.