Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I still can't believe they're angry about funding for the World Cup. Who gives a shit, it's the World Cup in Kansas City. You don't get to be a picky asshole with that.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

On Thursday, Platt said he’s disappointed that the Royals haven’t communicated their vision or needs, or even which of many proposed locations they’d prefer.

“The biggest frustration that we’re feeling is that we haven’t been given a lot of information from the Royals directly. No one really knows what the plan is. No one knows what their intentions are,” Platt said.
You know what’s funny is this the exact incompetence of their actual MLB team too so it makes sense why the team sucks when it all really falls down from the top.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Does the blue cross move put WSP back on the list of potential stadium sites?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:46 am Does the blue cross move put WSP back on the list of potential stadium sites?
Two land owners - City and BCBS so that's a plus. However, is it big enough...?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:50 am
shinatoo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:46 am Does the blue cross move put WSP back on the list of potential stadium sites?
I don’t think they’re leaving their current office. They’re just expanding to another building too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:02 am
I don’t think they’re leaving their current office. They’re just expanding to another building too.
That doesn't seem right? Why would they split up their space like that?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 am
On Thursday, Platt said he’s disappointed that the Royals haven’t communicated their vision or needs, or even which of many proposed locations they’d prefer.

“The biggest frustration that we’re feeling is that we haven’t been given a lot of information from the Royals directly. No one really knows what the plan is. No one knows what their intentions are,” Platt said.
You know what’s funny is this the exact incompetence of their actual MLB team too so it makes sense why the team sucks when it all really falls down from the top.
Why should he be disappointed? If the Royals haven't made a final decision to rehab the stadium or not, which it appears they haven't, then why make any type of commitment to move anywhere? First things first, just like the Chiefs.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:46 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 am

Why should he be disappointed? If the Royals haven't made a final decision to rehab the stadium or not, which it appears they haven't, then why make any type of commitment to move anywhere? First things first, just like the Chiefs.
Sources indicate the Royals and Chiefs are working on joint ballot language, and plan to put proposals before voters next Spring.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Spring vote is what I heard also.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Will be an epic failure if they ask the public to fund a new baseball stadium. I can see them asking for a funding mechanism for operational aspects similar to TSC deal. Could be smart going at the first try with the Chiefs though.

We all share the city managers frustrations about lack of transparency but I have a mildly informed opinion that is has to due with getting land bought for a reasonable amount. If you own land and John Smith calls to purchase, your price is different than when John Sherman wants it.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Not accurate: "The 18-story building will allow Blue KC to consolidate all on-site employees into one location"

I was just going by WSP today thinking you could steal 30 feet from Grand for a stadium site and still be totally fine to accommodate traffic. Grand is insanely wide. Still easily the best site for me, they'd just have to figure out how to squeeze it in but I think those kind of constraints make for more interesting and unique stadiums.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:07 pm

Not accurate: "The 18-story building will allow Blue KC to consolidate all on-site employees into one location"

I was just going by WSP today thinking you could steal 30 feet from Grand for a stadium site and still be totally fine to accommodate traffic. Grand is insanely wide. Still easily the best site for me, they'd just have to figure out how to squeeze it in but I think those kind of constraints make for more interesting and unique stadiums.
Got bad info from Goonies earlier in the day. Had to retract it.

I also have to say though the stadium shouldn't and won't go at that site.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Soccer Site!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:41 pm Soccer Site!
Now that I am down with for that site
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Yeah, WSP is literarily no capable of fitting the smallest MLB stadiums. If we're going to toss out ideas, let's at least at minimum make sure they're big enough. That's one thing that can't be changed in the case of WSP.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:46 pm We all share the city managers frustrations about lack of transparency but I have a mildly informed opinion that is has to due with getting land bought for a reasonable amount. If you own land and John Smith calls to purchase, your price is different than when John Sherman wants it.
Given all the talk about a downtown stadium any reasonable landowner would have in the back of his/her mind that it is for a possible stadium. Just the talk can drive up land prices.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Link2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:55 pm
Sources indicate the Royals and Chiefs are working on joint ballot language, and plan to put proposals before voters next Spring.
Without more detail it could be for rehabbing both stadiums at TSC. BTW which voters? County? City? Both? Anyway, are the Chiefs going to have their stadium study finished by then. I know times flies but I thought the study was going to take a year and was just announced just a few months ago.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:10 pm
Without more detail it could be for rehabbing both stadiums at TSC. BTW which voters? County? City? Both? Anyway, are the Chiefs going to have their stadium study finished by then. I know times flies but I thought the study was going to take a year and was just announced just a few months ago.
There’s no point in spending to rehab the Royals. You’ll just have to do it again later. A new build is more efficient.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:49 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:10 pm
There’s no point in spending to rehab the Royals. You’ll just have to do it again later. A new build is more efficient.
Even a new build will have to be rehabbed at some point in its life. And a rehab will be cheaper than a new build.
Both teams are looking at the rehab option. Definitely believe there will be a joint decision by the teams to both go for rehab or new. No way one gets new and the other a rehab, IMO.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:17 am And a rehab will be cheaper than a new build.
not accurate.