OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

So they will likely have a single large lot with the same little buses covering even more ground on each route? Those little buses were crowded when they went to two lots. I hope they have very high frequencies. I guess they know what they are doing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sani wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:42 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:00 pm They just resurfaced C which I thought was weird but probably be using it for awhile until any new economy lot is built (hopefully with APM).

Could be they want to use B for the "new" economy attached to an APM? That lot would be most in line with the terminal to rRCF.
C&A are contiguous lots. You can just rename it all to "economy parking" and run a bus to the single big lot.
I wonder if they'll just have one entrance, maybe make the current entrance to C an exit-only. You can see on Google Maps how they've combined the two lots in the areas they've repaved over the last couple of years.

Still, whether it's one lot or two, I hope they run more buses. Would it be possible to add some option to request a bus at stops so the drivers know where people are waiting, and maybe add a real-time arrival screen so you know if it'll be there in 5 minutes or 15? Or maybe none of that's practical, I don't know.
Lot's C and A have always basically been one lot, just divided by fencing or whatever.

With all the competing lots that have come online since they built the economy lots, they probably don't need all three anymore. They will likely convert one of them to the employee lot so it will be closer and keep part of it for overflow.

They definitely need more than just the current C lot so they will combine C and A and even then they will probably be at capacity during peek travel days of the year.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks like google updated the sat image for KC to June 2022. You can even see the jet bridges at the new terminal now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 pm Looks like google updated the sat image for KC to June 2022. You can even see the jet bridges at the new terminal now.
Don't see it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Have to use google earth, then go to the history icon and change the date and then flip it back to the most recent. Not sure why it doesn't default to the most recent.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:09 am So they will likely have a single large lot with the same little buses covering even more ground on each route? Those little buses were crowded when they went to two lots. I hope they have very high frequencies. I guess they know what they are doing.
Consolidation will likely mean more busses serving the lot than before…
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:19 am
Sani wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:42 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 pm

C&A are contiguous lots. You can just rename it all to "economy parking" and run a bus to the single big lot.
I wonder if they'll just have one entrance, maybe make the current entrance to C an exit-only. You can see on Google Maps how they've combined the two lots in the areas they've repaved over the last couple of years.

Still, whether it's one lot or two, I hope they run more buses. Would it be possible to add some option to request a bus at stops so the drivers know where people are waiting, and maybe add a real-time arrival screen so you know if it'll be there in 5 minutes or 15? Or maybe none of that's practical, I don't know.
Lot's C and A have always basically been one lot, just divided by fencing or whatever.

With all the competing lots that have come online since they built the economy lots, they probably don't need all three anymore. They will likely convert one of them to the employee lot so it will be closer and keep part of it for overflow.

They definitely need more than just the current C lot so they will combine C and A and even then they will probably be at capacity during peek travel days of the year.
They’ll keep B for overflow.

It needs to get fixed. I wish they’d be more open on their master plan. It always feels like they’re in pr instead of just saying it works likes this but this is how we want it to work eventually.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just don't see how the logistics would work with those little buses all covering a single lot. Unless they run like every few minutes, which would require a lot of labor, it's not going to work very well. I think you are going to end up with very crowded buses that take forever make a trip through the lot.

Plus parking buses pick up and drop off passengers on the same route in the parking lot and that makes smaller buses work even less because you have less room to store and access luggage as people get on and off.

I don't use economy parking in KC anymore, so I don't care. I just hope the rental car buses work better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They won't pick up and drop off on same buses I'm quite sure
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:34 pm They won't pick up and drop off on same buses I'm quite sure
Hopefully not at the terminal, but they most likely will in the parking lots. They will arrive at the lots with a bus full of arriving passengers and drop them off as departing passengers board the buses. The bus will then be full of departing passengers as it returns to the terminal and that is where I would hope they offload on the departing level before the buses go and pick up arriving passengers on the arrivals level. This is how nearly every other airport works anyway. I can't see KCI running two bus routes to the parking lots. That's even more labor than using all those little buses.

During the process of picking up and dropping off passengers in the parking lots, small buses like that are a PITA because people with luggage getting on the bus get in the way of passengers that are about to get off the bus. And one lot for an airport the size of KCI will be pretty a long trek through the parking lot.

Maybe they are setting things up to be miserable and then they can quickly get people's attention to fund a APM.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Grid…has it not been covered that the blue bus fleet is currently SPLIT between B & C terminals, and B & C economy lots… so the new terminal will double the quantity of buses on the route to two consolidated end points. The only real overlap on pax will be some coming back and waiting for the last stop in Economy lot, and pax getting picked up at the first few stops going to terminal.

I assure you the bus situation will be infinitely better with this new terminal to the economy lot and V/V
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ I understand that. But running those smaller buses for a massive parking lot like that will be annoying for users, trust me. I just hated those little buses when I used to use them all the time and that was back when it was split up three ways so the route through the parking lot was 1/3 less. Regardless, I just have my doubts they they will maintain a high frequency, but I guess time will tell.

Sorry, I just think the buses have never been run well at KCI, none of them and there is always some excuse or reason why. The rental car buses are stupidly run too and have been long before the driver shortage. What do they pay the people that stand outside the rental car facility? They are just annoying and get in the way. Any traveler knows how to rent a car in a RCF without their hands held unless wayfinding signage is really bad and it sort of is so fix that. Redirect that resource to more drivers or something.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:18 pm ^ I understand that. But running those smaller buses for a massive parking lot like that will be annoying for users, trust me. I just hated those little buses when I used to use them all the time and that was back when it was split up three ways so the route through the parking lot was 1/3 less. Regardless, I just have my doubts they they will maintain a high frequency, but I guess time will tell.

Sorry, I just think the buses have never been run well at KCI, none of them and there is always some excuse or reason why. The rental car buses are stupidly run too and have been long before the driver shortage. What do they pay the people that stand outside the rental car facility? They are just annoying and get in the way. Any traveler knows how to rent a car in a RCF without their hands held unless wayfinding signage is really bad and it sort of is so fix that. Redirect that resource to more drivers or something.
How can you know whether it will be good or bad before we've even opened the terminal?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:30 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:18 pm ^ I understand that. But running those smaller buses for a massive parking lot like that will be annoying for users, trust me. I just hated those little buses when I used to use them all the time and that was back when it was split up three ways so the route through the parking lot was 1/3 less. Regardless, I just have my doubts they they will maintain a high frequency, but I guess time will tell.

How can you know whether it will be good or bad before we've even opened the terminal?
I don't. It could be perfectly fine. Just voicing opinions based on what I know and my past experiences at KCI and other airports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:11 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:34 pm They won't pick up and drop off on same buses I'm quite sure
Hopefully not at the terminal, but they most likely will in the parking lots. They will arrive at the lots with a bus full of arriving passengers and drop them off as departing passengers board the buses. The bus will then be full of departing passengers as it returns to the terminal and that is where I would hope they offload on the departing level before the buses go and pick up arriving passengers on the arrivals level. This is how nearly every other airport works anyway. I can't see KCI running two bus routes to the parking lots. That's even more labor than using all those little buses.

During the process of picking up and dropping off passengers in the parking lots, small buses like that are a PITA because people with luggage getting on the bus get in the way of passengers that are about to get off the bus. And one lot for an airport the size of KCI will be pretty a long trek through the parking lot.

Maybe they are setting things up to be miserable and then they can quickly get people's attention to fund a APM.
Maybe just not assune things are miserable before they happen?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:53 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:11 pm

Maybe just not assune things are miserable before they happen?
What's the fun in that?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

5th Amendment to current ULA and 1st Amendment to the new ULA are on docket this week
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:35 pm 5th Amendment to current ULA and 1st Amendment to the new ULA are on docket this week
What does that mean?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:35 pm 5th Amendment to current ULA and 1st Amendment to the new ULA are on docket this week
What? They're applying the right to not be tried in court twice to the airport? Lol
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm
What does that mean?
5th Agreement:
- General updates and getting ready for new terminal
- Non-signatory carrier is signing on (JetBlue?)

1st Agreement:
- Extends existing rates&charges until 4/30/23
- Baggage system fee edits
- Facility Fee edits