Kansas City Fly Over

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Kansas City Fly Over

Post by normalthings »

Appears to be 1990's. Pre-Science City and P&L. Very high quality footage filmed used a helicopter close in over downtown.

Go to KC on Bing Maps and select the city flyover.
https://www.bing.com/maps/aerial
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Kansas City Fly Over

Post by grovester »

Not seeing a flyover option?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

grovester wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 am Not seeing a flyover option?
Zoom in a bit and it’ll probably pop up in the bottom right corner
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow that was really neat. The PAC and the Light buildings make such a difference. Somehow the Crowne Plaza hotel looks just as beat.

Chris can you film what this looks like now?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

longviewmo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:58 pm
grovester wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 am Not seeing a flyover option?
Zoom in a bit and it’ll probably pop up in the bottom right corner
Thanks!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Not quite 1:1 but pretty close

dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Cool pic. Nice to see some changes between the 2 with more on the way
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am Cool pic. Nice to see some changes between the 2 with more on the way
The lack of change over 30 years is a bit depressing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:25 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am Cool pic. Nice to see some changes between the 2 with more on the way
lol, I love KC but that's what I see. I mean 99% of even KC people would not see the difference. If they looked closely, they might see the PAC and arena. We all see every little change.

KC barely changes, but that's good for people like me that take skyline pics. It's a real PITA to keep up with cities and KC's skyline barely changes over ten year periods. Many cities have not added structure like the PAC and Arena in such visible locations but KC rarely adds tall buildings of over 10 stories. The little cluster around the P&L district of midrises has been nice considering what was there before.

BTW, I took that second pic, not sure where you got it from, maybe reddit?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:54 pm
lol, I love KC but that's what I see. I mean 99% of even KC people would not see the difference. If they looked closely, they might see the PAC and arena. We all see every little change.

KC barely changes, but that's good for people like me that take skyline pics. It's a real PITA to keep up with cities and KC's skyline barely changes over ten year periods. Many cities have not added structure like the PAC and Arena in such visible locations but KC rarely adds tall buildings of over 10 stories. The little cluster around the P&L district of midrises has been nice considering what was there before.

That was a bad 30 years (except for 2010's). The next 30 will be much better. However, I'd much rather have infill focus than skyline focus.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

On another note, they need to build Strata which would be in front of One KC place for the lower portion. I like how the new buildings in P&L block at least the lower parts of town pavilion now. It makes downtown look much more dense. You should not be able to see the bottom third of 40 story buildings on 12th street from the liberty memorial.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm

That was a bad 30 years (except for 2010's). The next 30 will be much better. However, I'd much rather have infill focus than skyline focus.
I honestly don't see how. It's hard to look past 10-15 years, but I don't see KC adding more than one or two 20-30 story buildings after three light. Four light is probably 5-6 years out. Over the next 10-15 years, KC will once again have a glut of suburban office space to fill up like Cerner or whatever new gets built in JoCo and JoCo subleases.

Best case scenario over next 15 years I think will be 4 Light, maybe that 20 story at the old transit center another one or two 12-15 story residentials probably in crossroads (and the one by KCsouthern). And if KC is really lucky one of the several proposed smaller office buildings like Strata or the one by Municipal will go up, but doubtful unless a company decides to move downtown.

But again all that will not really change the skyline at all. KC will probably not see a skyline changing building for at least another 15-20 years when the market is strong enough for a new tall residential or hotel tower, a downtown stadium would probably be what helps make a tall residential or hotel happen.

Come to think of it. I can't think of many cities that have not built a 30+ story building or has them UC now. Even Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincy etc have while KC has not. Memphis is about the only major city that comes to mind.

But I agree, infill is great, but would still be nice if KC built at least a couple more 30+ story buildings.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm Even Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincy etc have while KC has not.
Which is precisely why infill > skyline.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Those cities have added tons of infill too. The 5 story wood apartments are going up on every corner of every city except the big dense cities like DC, Philly, Chicago etc.

I'm just making a point about KC's skyline is not really changing and hasn't since the 80's. The skyline it has is really nice and it's much more lit up than many cities now.

Most skyline changing buildings in cities are office buildings with local company HQs. We all knw that KC struggles with that. That all happens in the suburbs of KC, so it's not like a new tower would be instead of infill. It would be instead of a new office complex in JoCo. And JoCo is about to start construction on some major new office projects, something that is not happening in most other markets which will make a new office tower in downtown KC nearly impossible.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:54 pm BTW, I took that second pic, not sure where you got it from, maybe reddit?
No way! I did grab it from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... ar_with_a/

Thanks for taking this shot, infill vs skyline debate aside, it is a gorgeous perspective
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:54 pm BTW, I took that second pic, not sure where you got it from, maybe reddit?
No way! I did grab it from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... ar_with_a/

Thanks for taking this shot, infill vs skyline debate aside, it is a gorgeous perspective
Thanks! Yeah, it's a stitched shot from a drone. It was not good enough for my website, so I never did anything with it, but thought I would post it.

BTW, I think KC has a great skyline, but it could just use a few more tallish buildings to just modernize it a little. I personally would not want anything much taller than One KC place though. My point is that taller buildings will come when companies come back downtown and that would not compete with infill, but make more infill more viable.

Getting the baseball stadium downtown should be priority and hopefully that will create some nice development east of Grand. And not just a bunch more five over ones and low end hotels. I'm talking some nice concrete construction mid-high rise apartments/condos, higher end hotel towers and maybe even an office tower.

There are plenty of other places the in the city to build the wood frame low rise apartment blocks other than the downtown loop.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KC’s large existing building stock ate a lot of the investment, so it’s hard to notice in a drone shot. Collison even has an article about how KC is a leader in conversions.

https://cityscenekc.com/kc-national-lea ... partments/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ yeah I get it. The amount of mostly vacant buildings that have been rehabbed in that first shot is pretty impressive but it also shows how much office space downtown has lost including a lot of relatively modern office towers. SO again, back to the lack of companies downtown now. Need jobs back down there which is why the city needs to support spec office development.

Areas like crossroads does give KC a lot more character having many repurposed buildings vs everything bland and new. But there is still so much open land and lots to build on, so hopefully it's time for KCMO to fill all those in! I just want to see a few nice towers and not just a sea of 5 story apartment blocks wrapped around garages, that's all. That stuff gets ugly if too much goes up in one area.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I mean there was some change but didn't really get going until about 10-15 yrs ago. arena, P&L. 1 & 2 Light, HR Block HQ, Lowes Convention Hotel. PAC, Reverb, plus some other reno's and building in crossroads that is not very vertical but new stuff and new life. Heck the re-do of the old TWA HQ for Barkley adding back the rocket was nice. So there is a lot there, maybe nothing that really jumps out of the photo from the drone shots. I agree there could have been more, and I think there will be more for sure. Barnes was pro development got it going, Funkhauser killed it for 4 years, and then SLy came back in and ushered in 8 yrs as much as he could. Lucas has been a mixed bag, braking a bit. But that is the story right there of roughly 20yrs of development. Hoping to see more and more
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm

I honestly don't see how. It's hard to look past 10-15 years, but I don't see KC adding more than one or two 20-30 story buildings after three light. Four light is probably 5-6 years out. Over the next 10-15 years, KC will once again have a glut of suburban office space to fill up like Cerner or whatever new gets built in JoCo and JoCo subleases.

Best case scenario over next 15 years I think will be 4 Light, maybe that 20 story at the old transit center another one or two 12-15 story residentials probably in crossroads (and the one by KCsouthern). And if KC is really lucky one of the several proposed smaller office buildings like Strata or the one by Municipal will go up, but doubtful unless a company decides to move downtown.

But again all that will not really change the skyline at all. KC will probably not see a skyline changing building for at least another 15-20 years when the market is strong enough for a new tall residential or hotel tower, a downtown stadium would probably be what helps make a tall residential or hotel happen.

Come to think of it. I can't think of many cities that have not built a 30+ story building or has them UC now. Even Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincy etc have while KC has not. Memphis is about the only major city that comes to mind.

But I agree, infill is great, but would still be nice if KC built at least a couple more 30+ story buildings.
We are running out of high earners willing to live downtown and commute to jobs in OP. Not sure if we have enough as is to support a taller highrise.