NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:46 pm "They are after expansion is done and we get SEA/LV placed. Kansas City has more checked boxes for NBA than any other “prospective” city available. Including the three most important: geography, Mahomes & viable arena+district"

Immaterial without an ownership group.
Hence why I said Mahomes in there. He's obviously gonna be leading an ownership group at some point. You don't get an ownership group these days without a *major* sports star leading it. A-Rod just bought the TWolves, Lebron is getting the team to Vegas...and we are damn lucky we have Mahomes so take advantage of it.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:16 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:26 pm
Fountains wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Yeah NBA isn't coming here
They are after expansion is done and we get SEA/LV placed. Kansas City has more checked boxes for NBA than any other “prospective” city available. Including the three most important: geography, Mahomes & viable arena+district
No they aren't
Uh huh. And KC isn’t getting the World Cup either.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Kc didn't support the kings, the wizards or comets, Brigade.Drove Sporting KC to kansas.
The wrighting is on the wall for loyalty to sports here. We'll see how long Chiefs and Royals stick around.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCKev wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:13 am Kc didn't support the kings, the wizards or comets, Brigade.Drove Sporting KC to kansas.
The wrighting is on the wall for loyalty to sports here. We'll see how long Chiefs and Royals stick around.
How do people still think this
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:00 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:35 pm
Fountains wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:16 pm

No they aren't
2 entirely different things
You're right. The World Cup is hella lot harder to get than NBA.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:37 am
Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:00 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:35 pm

2 entirely different things
You're right. The World Cup is hella lot harder to get than NBA.
disagree.

WC is a onetime event in the near future.
NBA is a business that needs to work every year for 20+ years.

For NBA, KC of 5,10,15,25 years from now is competing with other cities of the future. At current growth rates, its not an attract option.

I agree with you that if it doesn't happen now it never will. In my case, I don't think it will happen now and every year it gets even less attractive.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Mahomes doesn't have the money either, and KC doesn't have an ownership group. This is pure wishcasting. The sprint center has been sitting there for a decade free to use and I don't think the NBA has even shown an interest or played a game.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 am Mahomes doesn't have the money either, and KC doesn't have an ownership group. This is pure wishcasting. The sprint center has been sitting there for a decade free to use and I don't think the NBA has even shown an interest or played a game.
There’s been a few exhibition games here over the years
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KC's best chance is to get an NBA team is relocation, i.e. NO Pelicans. We most likely won't get an expansion team w/o an ownership group with deep pockets and the NBA actually picking KC over Seattle (not going to happen) or LV. I don't get the desire about LV. It's a very transient city.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:46 pm "They are after expansion is done and we get SEA/LV placed. Kansas City has more checked boxes for NBA than any other “prospective” city available. Including the three most important: geography, Mahomes & viable arena+district"

Immaterial without an ownership group.
Hence why I said Mahomes in there. He's obviously gonna be leading an ownership group at some point. You don't get an ownership group these days without a *major* sports star leading it. A-Rod just bought the TWolves, Lebron is getting the team to Vegas...and we are damn lucky we have Mahomes so take advantage of it.
Mahomes does not have deep enough pockets to "lead" an ownership group. Plus he is still an active player without the time to dedicate himself to being a leader of an ownership. Maybe when he retires after a couple of more of big contracts he would have the time and resources. And who knows maybe in 10 years he is with another team when the Chiefs get another young quarterback to take his place.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 am Mahomes doesn't have the money either, and KC doesn't have an ownership group. This is pure wishcasting. The sprint center has been sitting there for a decade free to use and I don't think the NBA has even shown an interest or played a game.
Mahomes is only in year 5. But he is *definitley* going to be a billionaire in his career. I’m talking about towards the end of his career when he’s a billionaire, has tons & tons of connections and is similar to how Lebron is bringing a team to Vegas right now in the exact same circumstances.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

We’re not getting an expansion team.

However, we are next in line for a relocation team once Seattle & Las Vegas acquire expansion teams. I'm not even being biased on that, there just isn't a better city than KC that will check all the boxes for the next NBA team.
At some point in the next 5-10 years, a shitty franchise like Sacramento, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. will come up for sale and Mahomes will lead/bring together an ownership group to buy the team and relocate it in KC. He’s already said this is a goal of his in the KC Star. And we have all the fundamentals to bring a team here too, so it fits. An added bonus was when we got the WC and it shows we can handle global level sports.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:19 pm So in 10 years we will bring a team to a 30 year old arena? No we won't.
I'm sure they'll renovate but that arena is still completely fine. There are much worse ones hosting NBA teams right now. It's also about the district surrounding it which will now include the south loop cap & maybe Royals spinoff.

My educated guess it'll be the New Orleans Pelicans.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:59 pm We’re not getting an expansion team.

However, we are next in line for a relocation team once Seattle & Las Vegas acquire expansion teams. I'm not even being biased on that, there just isn't a better city than KC that will check all the boxes for the next NBA team.
At some point in the next 5-10 years, a shitty franchise like Sacramento, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. will come up for sale and Mahomes will lead/bring together an ownership group to buy the team and relocate it in KC. He’s already said this is a goal of his in the KC Star. And we have all the fundamentals to bring a team here too, so it fits. An added bonus was when we got the WC and it shows we can handle global level sports.
Bad can go to worse when you bring it to KC!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:40 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:59 pm We’re not getting an expansion team.

Bad can go to worse when you bring it to KC!
Referring to your response from earlier, I actually think now we benefit the longer this drags out for getting NBA relocation. For the World Cup, we had to get in 2026 because it's only 10 cities and it could be too tough in the future to have landed that event. However, for the NBA, the only real cities we're "up against" to get a team are just a bunch of rust belt cities that aren't investing in urbanism and already carry NHL teams in the winter. The only real competition was San Diego but they somehow elected to build an 11k seat arena last fall, which takes them out of the running. So I think we will far surpass any competition to get a relocation team in the next 5-10 years (if not already).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:52 am KC's best chance is to get an NBA team is relocation, i.e. NO Pelicans. We most likely won't get an expansion team w/o an ownership group with deep pockets and the NBA actually picking KC over Seattle (not going to happen) or LV. I don't get the desire about LV. It's a very transient city.
This is the key to getting NBA:
-Viable arena/district
-Ownership group formed by a celebrity/star
-No existing NBA teams nearby
-Size-able population throughout the state & 500-mile radius
-Helps to not have NHL team
-Growth
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:54 pm -No existing NBA teams nearby
No NBA teams near by? But there's like 6 NBA teams within a 500-mile radius of KC.
KC is the way to be!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AllThingsKC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:41 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:54 pm -No existing NBA teams nearby
No NBA teams near by? But there's like 6 NBA teams within a 500-mile radius of KC.
Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska have no NBA team and that’s well over 10 mil people. An NBA team would be a hub for a big region in perfectly situated location, is what I’m saying.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 pm Nashville, Mexico City, Tampa Bay are all ahead of KC on the pecking order
Lol no they’re not.
Nashville & Tampa are way too close to current teams in Orlando & Memphis.

Mayyybe Memphis would go to Nashville…but they’re *way* more focused on getting MLB since they already have NHL & NFL in winter. They need a summer sport.

The players won’t go to Mexico City, lol. Do your research first instead of reading headlines.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 pm Nashville, Mexico City, Tampa Bay are all ahead of KC on the pecking order
KS is sport teams out and we aren’t growing fast enough to have capacity for another anytime soon.