Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Union Station

Post by bones.25 »

It looks great with the new lights! It's been over 20 years since the renovation and a lot of lean budget years and searching for an identity but it seems like US has really hit its stride in the last few years. Lots of deferred maintenance items have been taken care of including remodeling of the bathrooms, floor restorations, repairing/waterproofing the roof and stone facade, pedestrian walkway from the garage, etc. It still blows my mind that such a historically significant structure had some people calling for it to be demolished prior to the renovation. Its arguably the most iconic structure in the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 37 Most Beautiful Train Stations in the World

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... -slideshow
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Anyone know the full story of why the Maya exhibit keeps being delayed? Last century the Nelson had a Treasures of the Maya exhibit with lots of fragile items from Guatemala and it opened on schedule. Does Union Station not have the gravitas to pull off and create its own international shows?
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Virtually every photo I see of Kansas City used anywhere else in the world in publications or media is one featuring Union Station in the foreground.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am Anyone know the full story of why the Maya exhibit keeps being delayed? Last century the Nelson had a Treasures of the Maya exhibit with lots of fragile items from Guatemala and it opened on schedule. Does Union Station not have the gravitas to pull off and create its own international shows?

Union Station Kansas City

An update on MAYA: The Great Jaguar Rises exhibition at Union Station’s Bank of America Gallery.
Good things come to those who wait... and Kansas City has been VERY patient.

Yesterday, after months of unexpected delays, the final hurdles were cleared for the release of nearly 300 Guatemalan national treasures to be featured in the highly-anticipated MAYA: The Great Jaguar Rises exhibition at Union Station’s Bank of America Gallery.

Last night – under tight security – sealed crates were carefully loaded onto trucks in Guatemala City for guarded transport to a bonded warehouse awaiting final Customs clearance. As of this evening, the final leg of the journey to Kansas City is all that awaits.

This has truly been a monumental, international effort to bring such a magnificent and culturally important exhibition to our Kansas City community and beyond. Keep watching for opening details as a team of archaeologists works to install the priceless treasures over the coming week.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thanks, can't find anything on the US site. Any projected opening date? They changed my tickets to floating date. This is going to be a great opportunity for KC. Even most people from the US who go to Tikal do not make it to Guatemala City and the museums.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

An update on MAYA: The Great Jaguar Rises exhibition at Union Station’s Bank of America Gallery.
This morning, the long-awaited final step began with the loading of precious cargo onto a flight that departed Guatemala City at 6:00am. Nearly 300 priceless objects (many of which have never traveled internationally) are making the careful journey of over 2,500 miles to Kansas City.

At the same time, archaeologists and trained experts in handling priceless art and objects departed from multiple international locations to meet in Kansas City late this evening.

We have ALL been waiting for this day. Our excitement is only matched by the reality of some very long days and nights just ahead as we have multiple teams scheduled to work around the clock to unpack, inspect, document, and place each artifact in its final display position for what will be a truly historic encounter with one of the most important and influential civilizations to ever live.

Thank you again, Kansas City, for your patience. We could have given up on this opportunity so many times along the way. So many unexpected and unprecedented obstacles were put in our way. But we persevered, and our international partners did the same.

MAYA: The Great Jaguar Rises – presented by Bank of America... will be worth the wait!

As we sit today, we’re pleased to forecast an Opening Weekend starting August 20. That date will be finalized very soon, and individual reserved day tickets will be activated for online sale. Please keep watching our social media channels for frequent updates.

The journey is nearly complete, and we can’t wait to welcome you to the mystery of MAYA.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Station facade was illuminated in colors of Guatemala flag last night
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Great exhibit, incredible collection of ceramics and jade. Only real critique is how display cases are mounted very very low. My back hurts and my quads are sore from squatting.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:22 pm Great exhibit, incredible collection of ceramics and jade. Only real critique is how display cases are mounted very very low. My back hurts and my quads are sore from squatting.
That was exactly my take away.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would have the same problem. lol.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The Mayans are very short people.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That is true, especially in ancient times. But I have a feeling this was done to accommodate children. I think most kids might be bored trying to look at the intricacies of the designs. But some giggles at the penis bloodletting scene.