Ambassador

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat »

edit...nm
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Thank you. But Jesus, these guys get paid by the word?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:30 am https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... ad-image-3

although the PDF doesn't really list Oak so who knows if that's the current version
Not approved by city council but wouldn't surprise me if city staff is using it anyway.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Actually, the cycletrack plan can be found at kcmo.gov/bikekc

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... -community
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:23 pm Actually, the cycletrack plan can be found at kcmo.gov/bikekc

thank you! Edited my dumb old link out. I don't really get investing in Grand and Oak with our limited resources
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:30 pm
gfenn11 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:23 pm Actually, the cycletrack plan can be found at kcmo.gov/bikekc

thank you! Edited my dumb old link out. I don't really get investing in Grand and Oak with our limited resources
They sure love having out of date info on their website, huh? :lol:
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rode the gilliam/oak cycle track the full length this morning. What a fantastic asset for our city! Lots of people out and so much better than riding in the street. I like it way more than the gravel trails too.

I know some people on here say they never see them used but momentum is growing. The more we have a system and people venture out for test rides the more system use will grow.

Rock Island is so busy on the weekends it's getting hard to use, same for the Trolly Trail. Hopefully we will see that downtown too.

Aside: what's your opinion on people walking/jogging in the cycle track when there is a perfectly good sideWALK RIGHT THERE!?

I'll keep my opinion to myself until I hear what everyone has to say.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:42 pm Rode the gilliam/oak cycle track the full length this morning. What a fantastic asset for our city! Lots of people out and so much better than riding in the street. I like it way more than the gravel trails too.

I know some people on here say they never see them used but momentum is growing. The more we have a system and people venture out for test rides the more system use will grow.

Rock Island is so busy on the weekends it's getting hard to use, same for the Trolly Trail. Hopefully we will see that downtown too.

Aside: what's your opinion on people walking/jogging in the cycle track when there is a perfectly good sideWALK RIGHT THERE!?

I'll keep my opinion to myself until I hear what everyone has to say.
I don't mind as long as the route isn't that busy. And even if so, I hope they keep to normal road rules and run on the opposing side and clear the path when people are approaching. I've only encountered it twice and one of the runners was not even trying to get out of my way while heading right at him. I understand how they might view it as safer, but for the most part, the sidewalk for the entirety of the path is great (especially for KC standards).
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Runners and walkers do not belong on the cycle track. Do scooters belong there? I can see that becoming a much bigger problem.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

taxi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am Runners and walkers do not belong on the cycle track. Do scooters belong there? I can see that becoming a much bigger problem.
If we are going to invest in a cycle track we should equally invest in a run/walk track next to it.

No idea what to do with escooters though. You could say no battery powered devices but we have so many ebike options now too.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

taxi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am Runners and walkers do not belong on the cycle track. Do scooters belong there? I can see that becoming a much bigger problem.
Why wouldn't scooters be allowed in the bike lane? As long as they aren't parked in the bike lane of course
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 am
If we are going to invest in a cycle track we should equally invest in a run/walk track next to it.

No idea what to do with escooters though. You could say no battery powered devices but we have so many ebike options now too.
Scooters are personal transit no? Not much different than E-bikes. As long as people aren’t parking/laying them in bike lanes I see no problem, it keeps them off sidewalks, which are pedestrian spaces, and keeps them out of car lanes, which lead to more conflicts anyways
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Makes sense
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 am

What would we call them? Sidewalks.

I would not allow scooters on the cycle track, sidewalks or multiuse trails. I understand they're supposed to start enforcing a ban on any self-propelled transport on public trails in Missouri. Considering how well they enforce everything else I'm not hopeful.

Pedal assist e-bikes will be fine, self-propelled not.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The sidewalks along this stretch aren't the best (like in most of this city). In some spots too narrow to allow anything but single file, due to tree roots and other reasons many places it is an uneven tripping hazard, many ada ramps are non-existent, and in some places there is no sidewalk at all (29Gillham apartments come to mind where the sidewalk forces you into a flight of stairs). Additionally cars pull out as far as possible at intersections before turning onto Gillham, so it feels safer to me to be more visible in the bike lane closer to the intersection instead of being 10 ft behind (and often partially unseen due to trees, power poles, etc) from where they've pulled through to.
So I don't think it's a big deal! I've jogged it a few times and am always to the side to make sure I'm not obstructing anyone who maybe approaching faster from behind.

Side note: I have seen more than one motorized vehicle using them like little mini ATVs, etc, but that seems rare.

Also: I've seen groups of weekend cycling groups traveling along Gillham and not using the protected lanes, even when spire work had this road narrowed to one lane in each direction. If we're going to ban pedestrians from the bike lanes, to be fair we'd need to force bicyclists to use them 😁
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:44 pm The sidewalks along this stretch aren't the best (like in most of this city). In some spots too narrow to allow anything but single file, due to tree roots and other reasons many places it is an uneven tripping hazard, many ada ramps are non-existent, and in some places there is no sidewalk at all (29Gillham apartments come to mind where the sidewalk forces you into a flight of stairs). Additionally cars pull out as far as possible at intersections before turning onto Gillham, so it feels safer to me to be more visible in the bike lane closer to the intersection instead of being 10 ft behind (and often partially unseen due to trees, power poles, etc) from where they've pulled through to.
So I don't think it's a big deal! I've jogged it a few times and am always to the side to make sure I'm not obstructing anyone who maybe approaching faster from behind.

Side note: I have seen more than one motorized vehicle using them like little mini ATVs, etc, but that seems rare.

Also: I've seen groups of weekend cycling groups traveling along Gillham and not using the protected lanes, even when spire work had this road narrowed to one lane in each direction. If we're going to ban pedestrians from the bike lanes, to be fair we'd need to force bicyclists to use them 😁
I'm for requiring bike lane use where available.

This was between 42nd and 43rd plenty of other options for a jogger than using the bike lane. I'm not unreasonable. :)

Mini bikes an ATV's are an issue I've encountered along the 85th street section of the Trolly Trail. Also on the Rock Island with the additional hazard of horses, both being ridden and just wandering around.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:42 pm Rode the gilliam/oak cycle track the full length this morning. What a fantastic asset for our city! Lots of people out and so much better than riding in the street. I like it way more than the gravel trails too.

I see people passing me every time I use it. It's almost like we're brainwashed into thinking that KC is simply incapable of regular urban bike use, despite cities all over the world proving us wrong.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:31 pm

I see people passing me every time I use it. It's almost like we're brainwashed into thinking that KC is simply incapable of regular urban bike use, despite cities all over the world proving us wrong.
Correct. Build it and they will come.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I ride it frequently and there are always other people on it. Not lots of people, but it does get used. The more connected and built it gets, the more it will be used. All bike lanes should be built like this.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kboish wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:53 pm I ride it frequently and there are always other people on it. Not lots of people, but it does get used. The more connected and built it gets, the more it will be used. All bike lanes should be built like this.
Exactly my experience as well