New Coaster coming to WOF

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by mister816 »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mister816 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:52 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:40 am
cor88b wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:12 am
Thought I read it was possibly going in the old dinosaur alive spot. Which would be good to fill that spot.
They have had nothing there since the dinosaur alive thing right? Be a good fill if that’s the case
it's great to fill that spot but do we need another woody next to prowler. i was hoping for something special... guess not
It’s wild just how much of the land around the edge of the prowler is unused or just parking. Seems they could easily lose that back lot and incorporate a whole expansion on that one lot alone.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

internal name for the new coaster: project dollhouse
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 pm
It’s wild just how much of the land around the edge of the prowler is unused or just parking. Seems they could easily lose that back lot and incorporate a whole expansion on that one lot alone.
That huge back lot was filled with cars and busses a few times in 2021. That's the bulk of their parking.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

[Edit] New coaster and 50th announcement is happening in two days
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I've had nothing better to do over the past day so I dug into some coaster forums and apparently we will be getting "project 50/dollhouse" which is this new wooden coaster opening next year. BUT also in 2024-2026 "project 2.0" will be a new steel coaster that has been in the planning stages for a few years. The wooden will be a GCI coaster- so expect something on par with Prowler (or better).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The Zambezi Zinger is what it’ll be. From the video released by WOF as well, looks like it’ll butt up to the boomerang, and adjacent to the Zulu, filling in the previous empty woodland space that the RR runs through. Looks to be a decent coaster, and a nice fill in of an otherwise unused area.

Link to the article is below

https://www.coaster101.com/2022/08/11/w ... r-in-2023/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:00 am The Zambezi Zinger is what it’ll be. From the video released by WOF as well, looks like it’ll butt up to the boomerang, and adjacent to the Zulu, filling in the previous empty woodland space that the RR runs through. Looks to be a decent coaster, and a nice fill in of an otherwise unused area.

I remember when this was the only real coaster in the park. There was a small coaster in the Scandinavian section of the park with a name something like Schussboomer??? but it wasn't much of a thrill. It was removed pretty early on. The next major coaster built was the Orient Express.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

People would get off the ride and immediately back in line for a redo. The car was single file and you were literally sitting in the crotch of the person behind you.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:00 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:00 am The Zambezi Zinger is what it’ll be. From the video released by WOF as well, looks like it’ll butt up to the boomerang, and adjacent to the Zulu, filling in the previous empty woodland space that the RR runs through. Looks to be a decent coaster, and a nice fill in of an otherwise unused area.

I remember when this was the only real coaster in the park. There was a small coaster in the Scandinavian section of the park with a name something like Schussboomer??? but it wasn't much of a thrill. It was removed pretty early on. The next major coaster built was the Orient Express.
Don't forget the Screamroller (first loop at WOF) that became the stand-up Extreamroller. It was a few years before the Orient Express.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:41 pm The car was single file and you were literally sitting in the crotch of the person behind you.
Good times. ;-)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice addition for Worlds of Fun. Hopefully they can do the same by bringing back Orient Express with a big more extreme launch coaster with inversions etc and WoF will go from a bottom tier park to a top tier park in the CF chain. WoF is a nice park, it just needs a few more rides to be a really good park.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I'm curious if there is any data available on annual attendance at WOF over the years. Just from my observation, the park generally seems quite a bit less crowded than I remember during my youth in the 80s/90s. But maybe my perspective is skewed (and my parents happened to take me on the busiest days).

Google is not giving me much. I see that Cedar Fair does not release complete info, but groups WOF in their "~1 Million Or Fewer Guests On An Annual Basis" category. The only other data point I see is a press release showing attendance in 1981 was just over 1.4M. So that would seem to indicate a decrease. Even aside from the covid impacts, the park seems to have more limited hours with earlier closing times.

Any speculation on when and why this shift happened?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It has to be way less just based on how much they can fill the parking lots. Back when they had the trams, they would fill the primarily lots and half the lots in the back. Now the main lots are rarely full.

I think WoF has lost its regional draw and probably even its local draw to some extent. I do think they could get it back though if they really tried, but they better hurry. WoF has been left in the dust by SDC and now even Adventureland is capturing a lot of people from Iowa that used to go to WoF.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

According to my son Adventureland has really fallen on hard times since Covid.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

IIRC World’s of Fun’s original “theme” was loosely based on Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, hence the vaguely international themed ride names and the hot air balloon branding. Seems like that global premise would be an easy one to lean into, and has lots of precedent to look at
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:22 pm I'm curious if there is any data available on annual attendance at WOF over the years. Just from my observation, the park generally seems quite a bit less crowded than I remember during my youth in the 80s/90s. But maybe my perspective is skewed (and my parents happened to take me on the busiest days).

Google is not giving me much. I see that Cedar Fair does not release complete info, but groups WOF in their "~1 Million Or Fewer Guests On An Annual Basis" category. The only other data point I see is a press release showing attendance in 1981 was just over 1.4M. So that would seem to indicate a decrease. Even aside from the covid impacts, the park seems to have more limited hours with earlier closing times.

Any speculation on when and why this shift happened?
I’m invested in CF, and they release a packet to investors whenever they do their earnings call. I’ll dig through my email and see if I can find if that data is in there
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:50 pm IIRC World’s of Fun’s original “theme” was loosely based on Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, hence the vaguely international themed ride names and the hot air balloon branding. Seems like that global premise would be an easy one to lean into, and has lots of precedent to look at
I was always confused why they started leaning away from it, not that they ever leaned into it as hard as they could have. But as a kid, the areas felt so distinct, you could almost lose yourself in the illusion. When I got a little older we had a family vacation to EPCOT, which basically took a similar concept to the extreme with its World Showcase thing, and I remember thinking how cool it would be if WoF went more in that direction. Of course Hunt and later CF were/are never going to put Disney money into WoF, but as I continued to go back every few years as an adult, it seemed to get further and further away from any specific "theme" and just became an increasingly generic and bland park with a few fun rides and a long ass walk in the heat between them. I noticed recently there was a Panda Express over by where the Orient Express used to be, so I guess that's about the level of effort we can expect in this regard. :lol:
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:22 pm I'm curious if there is any data available on annual attendance at WOF over the years. Just from my observation, the park generally seems quite a bit less crowded than I remember during my youth in the 80s/90s. But maybe my perspective is skewed (and my parents happened to take me on the busiest days).
WOF and OOF are both included in admission when both are open during the summer