OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Could be it. Below the number WR was to have paid
Either way, I think we’re “gonna have to build another spec building” to confirm the market again…
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

weve never built a spec tho
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:38 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Could be it. Below the number WR was to have paid
Either way, I think we’re “gonna have to build another spec building” to confirm the market again…
Spec office building in KC?, in this post covid market? Yeah, not happening. This will be the last office building to go up in downtown in a long time. The one by Crown Center might happen, but it's not spec.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Was kind of a joke lol.

However, I remember Stritzel saying a while back that he thought a real tenant would kick off the Podium and/or Platform venture office
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great news. I actually like the building at ground level. Good on DNA for pushing for better ground level interaction
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:52 pm Was kind of a joke lol.

However, I remember Stritzel saying a while back that he thought a real tenant would kick off the Podium and/or Platform venture office
That's still my hope. Since 1400 became more or less "spec" office space, I figured if it was leased out by a new to town firm, or a firm looking to expand, it would mean good news for the other proposed office buildings. In my opinion, Podium, Strata, and 13th and Grand should all now become residential (Podium can have a hotel). Platform Ventures should take priority for the next downtown office building. By having Podium, Strata and 13th and Grand all become residential, the area immediate on, and around, the streetcar can get denser with more residents.

There will likely be another big built to suit project in the near future. Emphasis on likely. Nothing is set in stone for that one yet.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Can't wait to hear who is coming downtown! Lord let it be employees who will want to get out of the building for lunch and happy hours! And of course move downtown.

I'll never not be angry with H&R. A complete and utter fail when it comes to any kind of true positive impact on downtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:36 pm If it's Blue Cross, just a sideways move for downtown office market. Would be great news if from outside KCMO. And the 'success' also depends on whether they got asking price/rates or had to low ball. The latter might deter near term spec building.
BCBS would be a slight positive as they would at least be moving inside the loop but another downside would be that it would remove one of KC's better large parcels of available office space from the market. That would have negative impact for attracting an outside company to KC that needs space quickly. The present BCBS space is older and not likely to attract a high profile tenant.
Yeah that's a good point and many larger markets (with better air service) also have high Class A vacancy so DTKC chances of scoring an HQ or 1000+ headcount major site from outside metro not looking great. Would be a score if that happens but hopefully someone outside KCMO as BCBS or other city core player doesn't bring anything additional to downtown (or KCMO tax base) unless this is an expansion and not a move.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:03 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:36 pm If it's Blue Cross, just a sideways move for downtown office market. Would be great news if from outside KCMO. And the 'success' also depends on whether they got asking price/rates or had to low ball. The latter might deter near term spec building.
BCBS would be a slight positive as they would at least be moving inside the loop but another downside would be that it would remove one of KC's better large parcels of available office space from the market. That would have negative impact for attracting an outside company to KC that needs space quickly. The present BCBS space is older and not likely to attract a high profile tenant.
Yeah that's a good point and many larger markets (with better air service) also have high Class A vacancy so DTKC chances of scoring an HQ or 1000+ headcount major site from outside metro not looking great. Would be a score if that happens but hopefully someone outside KCMO as BCBS or other city core player doesn't bring anything additional to downtown (or KCMO tax base) unless this is an expansion and not a move.
But that's why we should build another Class A
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:26 pm Can't wait to hear who is coming downtown! Lord let it be employees who will want to get out of the building for lunch and happy hours! And of course move downtown.

I'll never not be angry with H&R. A complete and utter fail when it comes to any kind of true positive impact on downtown.
Then it would be best if the company occupying the WR building comes from outside of KC. In a city the size of KC, I don't see many people relocating where they live because their office moved a few miles. Of course it would be best if the company was from outside KC in any event because it means growth but I would not expect much if its a company moving DT from the Crossroads, Plaza or even College Boulevard.

I do not understand, however, why H&R Block employees, while not moving downtown, would not at least venture out for food. Everywhere I've ever worked, that was at least a once a week endeavor.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:46 pm I do not understand, however, why H&R Block employees, while not moving downtown, would not at least venture out for food. Everywhere I've ever worked, that was at least a once a week endeavor.
They do, but their cafeteria is arguably nicer and cheaper (they give employee discounts) than anything in P&L.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have some emails out to some connections trying to find out who it is. Anyone else have some sources to check with?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 am Have some emails out to some connections trying to find out who it is. Anyone else have some sources to check with?
The rag is my source :lol:
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 am
Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:46 pm I do not understand, however, why H&R Block employees, while not moving downtown, would not at least venture out for food. Everywhere I've ever worked, that was at least a once a week endeavor.
They do, but their cafeteria is arguably nicer and cheaper (they give employee discounts) than anything in P&L.
Exactly. They incentivize their workforce to not leave the building. We need downtown employees spending money downtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 am
Exactly. They incentivize their workforce to not leave the building. We need downtown employees spending money downtown.
This is common behavior in tech and financial services no matter where you go.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 am
This is common behavior in tech and financial services no matter where you go.
My company had a subsidized cafeteria in every location I worked. It got old. We frequently left the complex for lunch at a local restaurant. The company gym was a bigger disincentive to leave than the cafeteria.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Of course, what fast places are left in the district besides Chipotle? Burger King gone. Mixx gone. Mama's gone. I guess more H&R Block people eat at the grocery store than anywhere. Of course, most places want a drive thru. Not sure why a local place like Hawaiian Bros wouldn't work or a good version of Panera.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:50 pm
Of course, what fast places are left in the district besides Chipotle? Burger King gone. Mixx gone. Mama's gone. I guess more H&R Block people eat at the grocery store than anywhere. Of course, most places want a drive thru. Not sure why a local place like Hawaiian Bros wouldn't work or a good version of Panera.
Would love a Hawaiian Bros, Tropical Smoothie, Torchy's or Unforked/SweetGreen in P&L

Quick lunches that I can grab and then run back to my desk are tough in P&L
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Good point but this has always been the case even when there were more options.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 pm

Would love a Hawaiian Bros, Tropical Smoothie, Torchy's or Unforked/SweetGreen in P&L

Quick lunches that I can grab and then run back to my desk are tough in P&L
Agree. I do know Hawaiian Bros was talked to by PNL leasing people. Picklemans has been a fantastic add!