Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:49 pm If we're still debating sites this thing is not going to be done in 24.
Who says they are. They’re a lot further into this than they’re leading on.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There has to be a better use of that Star printing press building vs just tearing it down. I still think something like the Markthal in Rotterdam would be nice, but not sure if something like that would work in a most American cities let alone KC where there is so little foot traffic etc.

I just can't imagine tearing that building down. So wasteful.

And can you imagine a parking structure over the east end of the south loop? That would look hideous as you drive into downtown from the east. If KC does build a downtown stadium, there has to be a plan to hide any new parking structures inside residential development etc.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:35 pm I have a feeling this is coming from the Star wanting to dump their print building so bad that they'll sell it cheap. City wants to make sure it doesn't sit there for decades mothballed and connecting it to a stadium was thrown out as an option. I don't think it's viable and might be a smokescreen for land sale negotiations at another site.
Star does not own the building anymore. They've already dumped it for cheap (I think it was 20 or 30 million?)

I really hope it isn't torn down. Levelling such a cool, architecturally unique building in KC would be such a waste.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm There has to be a better use of that Star printing press building vs just tearing it down. I still think something like the Markthal in Rotterdam would be nice, but not sure if something like that would work in a most American cities let alone KC where there is so little foot traffic etc.

And can you imagine a parking structure over the east end of the south loop? That would look hideous as you drive into downtown from the east. If KC does build a downtown stadium, there has to be a plan to hide any new parking structures inside residential development etc.
Airline History Museum. I've already determined that's the best idea because I thought of it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:41 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:49 pm If we're still debating sites this thing is not going to be done in 24.
Who says they are. They’re a lot further into this than they’re leading on.
Good. Just weird this breaking news is now just coming out like they don't have a site already decided. If they do, which site is it?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This is going to be a long one...

If you have a chance to build the ballpark in place of the KC Star printing press, do it and don't think twice. The printing press building is a detriment to downtown and has been since the day it opened. It's a 2-block superblock that only acts a barrier to progress in the Crossroads - its a blessing that the building is empty because as long as the paper was printed there it was going to remain. Yes, it looks cool from the north, but that is its sole benefit because it is blank walls at street level on every side. It is modern building that actively hates the pedestrian walking next it and would need to be completely redone to actually be a positive influence on its surroundings (i.e. same as the old downtown library building). Yes, it would be wasteful, but its throwing good money after bad.

I would love for this area to be the site of the ballpark over East Village and here is why:
  • 4 minute walk from the Kaufmann Center streetcar stop (East Village is 9 from 12th and Main stop), which maximizes the benefit of existing public transportation infrastructure
  • Ample opportunity for benefits of the stadium to affect surrounding area - The main opportunities for East Village spinoff are blocked on three sides by KC Government buildings to the west, the US Government building to the south , and highways to the east. Spinoff is forced north into a part of downtown that is separate from all major amenities. There is no blockage on any side for a site on KC Star printing press except maybe to the north.
  • Parking garages built over the highway? Good! That way they aren't taking the place of anything good in the Crossroads.
  • Brings 20,000 people on average downtown 81 times a year which would increase the likelihood of improving retail options downtown & more development downtown. Its a major convention coming downtown 81 times a year, and we all know how downtown just feels different when there's a big convention downtown
Yes, this site also has some negatives. A lot of small scale functional buildings would get torn down, and I would hate losing them. By my count the P&L district and Sprint Center cost us 27+ buildings of various possible utility. Do I miss some of them like the TWA Building, Keystone Building and Soakies building? Absolutely. But KC is better for the investment (i.e. we have a World Cup coming here in 4 years).

There is only 1 functional side of a block in this entire North East Crossroads area and it is the east side of Grand between Truman and 16th. I would love it if they could save or incorporate these buildings(ala left field in Petco Park) or for the stadium to be one block to the east, but if that's the cost of doing this I'd be able to live with it.

EDIT: BTW - I still prefer the Jail site over this, East Village & 18th & Vine

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

OH, I agree KCDowntown. That's by far the best place to put a stadium.

It just really sucks that the Star building would have to go. Although you are absolutely correct. That building as it was originally intended to be used is terrible for an urban area. It does look neat (or it used to when it was occupied and cared for). But it's worse than a warehouse or convention center when it comes to interacting with the urban fabric.

If there is a real chance of a ballpark happening there, I would go for it. I mean there is not much in that area worth saving and a stadium there would tie into the rest of downtown much better than EV etc.

But, if that doesn't happen, they need to find a way to repurpose the building and open it up to the neighborhood, make it an attraction. Would an indoor botanical garden work there like the one in OKC? A botanical garden could be tied to the freeway park somehow. I just don't see the point in tearing it down. But yeah, leaving it as it is is not really an option either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Haven't we torn down enough of downtown and we still haven't learned our lessons? There are viable good stock buildings right there, not much in the area? These are phrases people said in the 60s that we look back and cringe.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:43 pm Haven't we torn down enough of downtown and we still haven't learned our lessons? There are viable good stock buildings right there, not much in the area? These are phrases people said in the 60s that we look back and cringe.
If you take a every block in the NE Crossroads starting at Grand from Truman south to 17th, there is only 1 half of a block of city that is attractive and well-utilized. Yes, there are good functional buildings in there that would get torn down - but as a whole the area isn't contributing much of anything to downtown's success.

The P&L cost us a ton of existing building stock (some active and functional, but most not) from the old Jones Store where Cosentino's is now, to a UMB Drive in, to the Brutalist beast across from the Empire Theater (now 3 Light). But downtown is a better place now without them because what they were replaced with is a higher and better use.

This is a generational opportunity for downtown, and I'd be willing to make some sacrifices for the future betterment of downtown. This isn't just tearing down a building and replacing it with surface parking, this is tearing down buildings and replacing them with something that will improve downtown. This development roughly needs at least a 4 x 4 block area, East Village has that, but it definitely isn't an ideal location. To get the stadium in a better location there is literally no other place downtown to put it that doesn't involve some level of sacrifice.

KCDowntown
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:14 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm There has to be a better use of that Star printing press building vs just tearing it down. I still think something like the Markthal in Rotterdam would be nice, but not sure if something like that would work in a most American cities let alone KC where there is so little foot traffic etc.

Airline History Museum. I've already determined that's the best idea because I thought of it!
I actually love this idea. I'm in favor of saving the printing press building and know it can be incorporated into a stadium zone regardless of how it's used. But there are dozens of options.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The views from behind home plate would be a massive win for this location. A true showcase of the downtown skyline and yes, the ATT LL building sucks but this would make that building have ballpark views. Making it more realistic for the developer to transform the exterior look of the building.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What would motivate a developer to change the exterior of the AT&T building. This is a mission-critical piece of infra for our region.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:18 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:43 pm Haven't we torn down enough of downtown and we still haven't learned our lessons? There are viable good stock buildings right there, not much in the area? These are phrases people said in the 60s that we look back and cringe.
If you take a every block in the NE Crossroads starting at Grand from Truman south to 17th, there is only 1 half of a block of city that is attractive and well-utilized. Yes, there are good functional buildings in there that would get torn down - but as a whole the area isn't contributing much of anything to downtown's success.

The P&L cost us a ton of existing building stock (some active and functional, but most not) from the old Jones Store where Cosentino's is now, to a UMB Drive in, to the Brutalist beast across from the Empire Theater (now 3 Light). But downtown is a better place now without them because what they were replaced with is a higher and better use.

This is a generational opportunity for downtown, and I'd be willing to make some sacrifices for the future betterment of downtown. This isn't just tearing down a building and replacing it with surface parking, this is tearing down buildings and replacing them with something that will improve downtown. This development roughly needs at least a 4 x 4 block area, East Village has that, but it definitely isn't an ideal location. To get the stadium in a better location there is literally no other place downtown to put it that doesn't involve some level of sacrifice.

KCDowntown
Yeah I lived down here when we torn down those buildings for p&l. I remember. Power and light is open daily,and brings neighborhood amenities a stadium is open 20 percent of the year.

I'm not going to fight this location I just can't believe we are so flippant about losing more buildings especially when we have blocks of surface pots right there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:39 pm What would motivate a developer to change the exterior of the AT&T building. This is a mission-critical piece of infra for our region.
Only at&t wanting to look sexier. Nothing else.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:39 pm What would motivate a developer to change the exterior of the AT&T building. This is a mission-critical piece of infra for our region.
Money - I don't truly understand the functional purpose of the LL building but I'd have to assume that with a slight change in tech over the last 50 years a near windowless 300' building is no longer needed to house mission-critical infrastructure. The need for roof mounted antennas are also no longer required so you'd think a mission critical telecommunications facility that likely houses several server farms would be better placed underground. I mean at this point, we are sinking server farms in the ocean, not placing them in nearly windowless brutalist style high rise buildings.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If we do go with this Crossroads site, I have only two questions:

1. Would we be able to get any towers beyond the outfield wall here?

2. How much would this really impact the Loop? It seems like it would mostly just impact the Crossroads and loop wouldn't see much traffic from it
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm

KCDowntown
Yeah I lived down here when we torn down those buildings for p&l. I remember. Power and light is open daily,and brings neighborhood amenities a stadium is open 20 percent of the year.

I'm not going to fight this location I just can't believe we are so flippant about losing more buildings especially when we have blocks of surface pots right there.
I think this boards obsession with eating up surface lots is interesting. If i'm investing money into downtown, even with city or tax incentives, I'm not even remotely concerned about helping eliminate surface parking lots. Especially if it means I get a worse off location. We should motivate land bankers to do something with the surface lots, not force a massive once in a lifetime project like a new stadium to go somewhere inferior because creeps have sat on these lots forever and a day.

Also, it's always a point of frustration to see any viable building torn down but it's part of the greater plan and essential to the success of downtown.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'll admit, KC Downtown put up some pretty good persuasion points for this site over EV. I'm not crazy about EV. I think the Crossroads site has potential *if* they're able to get towers up around it.

Obviously the jail site is still the best option though, and I'm confused why it's not getting a look but this one is.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 pm We should motivate land bankers to do something with the surface lots, not force a massive once in a lifetime project like a new stadium to go somewhere inferior because creeps have sat on these lots forever and a day.
Like how P&L was landbanked? Seems a bit "cut your nose off to spite your face". Sure, I hate landbanking, but if we can eliminate a very large amount of it in one project, that's what we should do instead of tearing down functional buildings in use.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm

KCDowntown

I think this boards obsession with eating up surface lots is interesting. If i'm investing money into downtown, even with city or tax incentives, I'm not even remotely concerned about helping eliminate surface parking lots. Especially if it means I get a worse off location. We should motivate land bankers to do something with the surface lots, not force a massive once in a lifetime project like a new stadium to go somewhere inferior because creeps have sat on these lots forever and a day.

Also, it's always a point of frustration to see any viable building torn down but it's part of the greater plan and essential to the success of downtown.
The city has been landbanking EV not s developer.

I fail to see how this crossroads site is superior to EV. It's equal to worse to me.