Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Politics

Post by grovester »

While there is always a pivot after a primary, DeSantis has shown his true colors, wouldn't expect anything else since it's worked so far.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Curious, how does one "improve crime"?

In the real world of KCMO the City's Mayor has little if any control over the police department. For KCMO the PD is an agency of the state government though funded by the city. It is governed by a Board appointed by the governor. The mayor is a member of that board by default but with one vote has little power in how the board governs the police.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:28 pm Curious, how does one "improve crime"?

In the real world of KCMO the City's Mayor has little if any control over the police department. For KCMO the PD is an agency of the state government though funded by the city. It is governed by a Board appointed by the governor. The mayor is a member of that board by default but with one vote has little power in how the board governs the police.
Push for an actual prosecutor in Jackson County for starters. Instead of the __Fill with any other job position title___ hack we have pretending to be a prosecutor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Giuliani is not a good comparison. The New York City mayor has control over the police department, can fire and appoint the police commissioner, and also has control of the City's school district. The NYC mayor has much more power than any KC mayor.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Lucas has basically no control over the KCPD.

They can do other things to help combat crime, but it is basically minimal and some could hurt the city or be expensive which is hard to justify when you have to spend 20-25% of budget on PD anyways. For example, close all bars sooner and reduce number of liquor licenses. Massive increase in prosecutor resources (0 tolerence) - again, questionable to work and money isn't there. But ya, there is no magic solution to fighting all crime. BUT - you guessed it - development, urban renwal, and more activated and safe streets can do a lot to help.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I'm thinking Lucas is planning on replacing Cleaver. It makes far more sense than running for Senate, spending millions, and losing by 10+ points. In 2024, Cleaver could be running for his 10th term. He'd also be 80 at the time. Lucas, being significantly younger, living in a Congressional District that's deep blue, and solid name recognition are all factors that would make him easily win, but only if Cleaver retired.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree with Chris. It's much more likely he's looking at Cleaver's seat. It's an easier get. Running for Senate in Missouri as a Democrat is hard to begin with. You really need it to be an open seat where the incumbent is retiring. Then on top of that, running as a black candidate statewide is even more difficult because you have to take into account how conservative rural voters are. Thus, you would need a huge turnout in metro areas. One would likely also need it to be a presidential election cycle with a popular incumbent Democrat.

I can't see a black candidate becoming Governor or Senator in Missouri unless they have already won a statewide office like attorney general, secretary of state, or Lt. Governor. The candidate would also have to be really charismatic.

So in essence, it would be someone like Sly James who has already served two terms as Attorney General and has long-time state-wide name recognition. Maybe someone with even a bit more charisma than Sly. Say a Morgan Freeman type, but younger.

The only circumstances I could see where Lucas could beat Hawley would be if after the primary, there was strong evidence that Hawley had actively conspired with others in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol to overturn the election. And there was evidence that his campaign had knowingly accepted Russian money to get him elected so that he could serve their interests.

Jason Kander lost to Roy Blunt. Kander had won state-wide office twice and was a veteran. Blunt has the charisma of a yard gnome and was basically a paid corporate lobbyist already. His entire family is. Still, Missourians re-elected him.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ I get the feeling the majority of the country doesn't care about 1/6. It happened, it was bad but we want to move on. Only thing keeping it topical are the democrats and while it's not a bad strategy, it's exhausting.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:24 pm ^ I get the feeling the majority of the country doesn't care about 1/6. It happened, it was bad but we want to move on. Only thing keeping it topical are the democrats and while it's not a bad strategy, it's exhausting.
Correct. They just want their gas cheap again.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:24 pm ^ I get the feeling the majority of the country doesn't care about 1/6. It happened, it was bad but we want to move on. Only thing keeping it topical are the democrats and while it's not a bad strategy, it's exhausting.
Polling shows the majority of America is paying attention to the hearings. Conversely, those same polls also show the two sides are quite firmly entrenched in their beliefs. But there has been an uptick in Rs who believe Trump should be indicted, as well as a bump in Rs who believe Trump should not run in 2024.

Simply moving on would be a catastrophic approach for the country's present and future. You have to hold accountable those who plotted to overthrow the government.

And I guess I don't understand the feeling of exhaustion as more and more revelations are put forth. The approach by the committee has really been so precise and succinct, the hearings have been fascinating television imo. And the primetime ratings prove I'm not the only one who appreciates these events.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Link2 is correct. You have to hold accountable those who participated in the attempted overthrow of the government and overturning an election result. If you don't do that, you no longer have a functioning democracy and give sanction to people who promote the idea of using force to impose their will on others.

Those who so quickly want to "move on" simply don't understand the peril of this moment. A sitting president sanctioned an insurrection, and even now continues to make veiled threats of violence. Unacceptable in a democratic republic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It should be exhausting. Republicans just do not get how much damage Trump has and continues to do to our democracy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:26 pm Link2 is correct. You have to hold accountable those who participated in the attempted overthrow of the government and overturning an election result. If you don't do that, you no longer have a functioning democracy and give sanction to people who promote the idea of using force to impose their will on others.

Those who so quickly want to "move on" simply don't understand the peril of this moment. A sitting president sanctioned an insurrection, and even now continues to make veiled threats of violence. Unacceptable in a democratic republic.
I'm not implying that our government move on from dealing with it. They're doing the right thing by investigating and prosecuting the idiots involved. It's the media and democratic politicians that need to get back to business.

And while I agree it shouldn't have happened, those who were involved should be punished etc, the narrative that this was some kind of organized attempt of "overturning the government" is just dumb and dramatic. It was an unorganized group of idiots, many of which just went in for a joy ride but no true agenda. It's like those who loot stores. It's a few leaders followed by a bunch of butt darts who see an opportunity and find excitement and joy in doing things they shouldn't.

Now we have Biden calling half the country "MAGA Republicans" and comparing them to Nazis. This is the same dude who said he would unify the country.

How did I live to see the two worst presidents in our history back to back?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:17 am
It should be exhausting. Republicans just do not get how much damage Trump has and continues to do to our democracy.
Disagree, what you see as damage they see as acceptable collateral damage in order to get to a certain point. We'd have to go situation by situation but a big portion of this country is sick of status quo.

I think if we are ever going to get to a middle ground of understanding, people will be required to compromise. For example, should Trump have taken all the documents he did? Probably not. Did the FBI need to enter his home using a search warrant? Probably not. Is Trump taking documents a new thing? No Is the FBI serving a search warrant on a former presidents private home a new thing. Yes.

I think until the democratic side admits that we have a giant double standard we won't get anywhere. Trump did a lot of dumb things but we know, for a fact, that he didn't get a fair shake from our DOJ and FBI.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The fact that he wouldn't and still won't concede a lost election should be enough for any rational level headed person to never support him again. But rational people are hard to find in America now a days on both sides of the political spectrum.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:38 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:26 pm Link2 is correct. You have to hold accountable those who participated in the attempted overthrow of the government and overturning an election result. If you don't do that, you no longer have a functioning democracy and give sanction to people who promote the idea of using force to impose their will on others.

I'm not implying that our government move on from dealing with it. They're doing the right thing by investigating and prosecuting the idiots involved. It's the media and democratic politicians that need to get back to business.

And while I agree it shouldn't have happened, those who were involved should be punished etc, the narrative that this was some kind of organized attempt of "overturning the government" is just dumb and dramatic. It was an unorganized group of idiots, many of which just went in for a joy ride but no true agenda. It's like those who loot stores. It's a few leaders followed by a bunch of butt darts who see an opportunity and find excitement and joy in doing things they shouldn't.

Now we have Biden calling half the country "MAGA Republicans" and comparing them to Nazis. This is the same dude who said he would unify the country.

It 100% was an organized attempted coup -- not a group of misfits simply following every word from their right-wing demigod. Comparing the attempted overthrow of the federal government with those who loot during a riot is really offensive.

Tell me where Biden is wrong in his assessment of MAGA believers. Trump's movement fits the literal definition of both fascism and nazism.

It's really interesting Trump and his voters created this mess we're in with the extreme divisiveness -- dating back to Obama's presidency -- and now they're mad that Biden won't come in and clean everything up for them? Biden has tried to unify the electorate, with little to no success. And he has governed from the center -- much to the displeasure of progressives in his own party. There is simply no moving large blocs on the fringes in the case of the Dems. And the Rs really can't call it the fringe base anymore; it's taken over the entire party.

Calling Biden one of the two worst in history when we're not even two years into his first term seems like a colossal rush to judgment. I'd argue he's already one of the most consequential presidents we've seen and is on track to accomplish far more than most previous administrations.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:06 pm The fact that he wouldn't and still won't concede a lost election should be enough for any rational level headed person to never support him again. But rational people are hard to find in America now a days on both sides of the political spectrum.
Once again, people can accept that he lost, not like the fact he hasn't officially conceded and still support him. There are for sure radicals on both sides and I do have a hard time understanding how anyone can sincerely believe the election was "stolen" but he didn't invent that political move.

Just putting it out there for the record that I do NOT want him to run again or Biden. I think both sides have better options to offer and I'd like to move on from the Trump era. Current republicans are in a bad spot, they also want to move on but Trump is so popular they can't just come out and say that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:38 pm

It 100% was an organized attempted coup -- not a group of misfits simply following every word from their right-wing demigod. Comparing the attempted overthrow of the federal government with those who loot during a riot is really offensive.

Tell me where Biden is wrong in his assessment of MAGA believers. Trump's movement fits the literal definition of both fascism and nazism.

It's really interesting Trump and his voters created this mess we're in with the extreme divisiveness -- dating back to Obama's presidency -- and now they're mad that Biden won't come in and clean everything up for them? Biden has tried to unify the electorate, with little to no success. And he has governed from the center -- much to the displeasure of progressives in his own party. There is simply no moving large blocs on the fringes in the case of the Dems. And the Rs really can't call it the fringe base anymore; it's taken over the entire party.

Calling Biden one of the two worst in history when we're not even two years into his first term seems like a colossal rush to judgment. I'd argue he's already one of the most consequential presidents we've seen and is on track to accomplish far more than most previous administrations.
This sounds like something straight from a "vote democrat" pamphlet and I'm having a hard time taking it seriously.

What's actually offensive is trying to compare Trump supporters and the republican party to a group responsible for executing 10 million people. The nazi comparisons should really be put back to bed and reserved for truly catastrophic situations which we hopefully will never see again.

The idea January 6th was a coup attempt is only popular amongst some liberal followers because thats' what the committee has labeled it. It lacks all the main requirements to meet the definition. There were no strong body of supporters from within the government backing it, it wasn't provoked by a national crisis, didn't have widespread support and the military didn't get involved. Even all the noted Trump plots to hold onto the office didn't contain possibilities of declaring marshall law or getting the military involved.

Jan 6th only showed our democracy and system of checks and balances is working as it should.

How anyone and I mean anyone could think Biden's administration is good or has accomplished anything of importance blows my mind.

Horrific exit from Afghanistan (We're probably going back)
Worst inflation in decades
Highest gas prices ever (I know I know, presidents don't have a say in gas prices.... BS)
Insane immigration issues
Fentanyl chaos
Recession/Economy
Record homicides in major cities
Medicare premiums increase the most they ever have

75% of the country thinks our economy under Biden is pour, only 1% think it's great.

As for this county being divided, that can and should be blamed on many things. Obama wasn't this great unifier although he was a great leader. There are just too many factors for it to simply be blamed on Trump and his supporters. That's such a bad and wrong take. Social media is a huge factor as well.

EDIT: I'm sure phuqueue will be in shortly to offer his elitist condemnation of everything I said!
Last edited by DColeKC on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Tl;dr the fentanyl thing is all made up and you fell for it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:34 pm Tl;dr the fentanyl thing is all made up and you fell for it.
LMAO - OK!
"Fentanyl Deaths Climbing, DEA Washington Continues the Fight"
https://www.dea.gov/stories/2022/2022-0 ... nues-fight

"Fentanyl Seizures at Border Continue to Spike, Making San Diego a National Epicenter for Fentanyl Trafficking; U.S. Attorney’s Office Prioritizes Prosecutions and Prevention Programs"
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdca/pr/fe ... r-fentanyl

"US drug overdose deaths reach another record high as deaths from fentanyl surge"
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/health/o ... index.html