5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: 5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCBJ is saying that City Harvest has been having trouble getting final approval from the FAA on height restrictions. Apparently in February and again this month June the FAA has said they won't approve it yet. Brian Platt is stepping in now and says he thinks they can get this resolved in a matter of months. The developer says they'll start construction in 1Q of next year if they get this approved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rvest.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ridiculous.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Definitely ridiculous.

The FAA needs to align with modern aviation. They're completely out of touch and off base with their restrictions.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Brian Platt says River Market restrictions should be removed for the whole district by next week- this is a gamechanger for RM moving forward.
A cloud that’s overshadowed development in the River Market is expected to be lifted next week when city leaders meet with federal aviation officials about height limits that have been hindering projects there.

City Manager Brian Platt is optimistic that what he describes as a high-level meeting with officials from the Federal Aviation Administration will favorably resolve restrictions that have stalled a planned 13-story and even a five-story project in the River Market.

Project should be able to move forward next week
The city manager said he believes the meeting next week with the FAA will allow the 13-story project to move forward.

413 Delaware also says they're gonna be moving forward if Platt does indeed solve this next week.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sure not completely. I'm sure they won't be allowing a 30 story tower at 5th and Delaware or anything
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Collison with some good news this morning
Federal Aviation Administration officials agreed informally to ease height restrictions that had inhibited development in the River Market area, according to City Manager Brian Platt.
https://t.co/9sirq40BWM
Last edited by Cratedigger on Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crujones81
Surface Lot

Post by Crujones81 »

Great news for this project, and the RM in general.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This thing is going to really dominate the River Market. Hopefully it turns out more attractive than the rendering. Also hope it leads to more ten plus story buildings in that area.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Agreed. this is really great news. I was worried with some of the reports I had read about FAA examiners in Texas just arbitrarilly denying projects that are key to our growth. The DT Airport is an important asset to our city but lack of government transparency should not hold back density. Both runways face North-South inclination, so it seems like something that should not really impact RM.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I wonder what other tower projects we’ll get in the RM in future once they resolve the FAA rules
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TODactivist had the 12 floor hotel plan near Delaware/W RM but that was before pandemic.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:30 pm I wonder what other tower projects we’ll get in the RM in future once they resolve the FAA rules
If I were the city, I’d set a height limit of 16 floors in the River Market. That’s plenty tall for the area but isn’t so tall that it would really ruin anything.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Have they considered a "bowl"?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:13 pm This thing is going to really dominate the River Market. Hopefully it turns out more attractive than the rendering. Also hope it leads to more ten plus story buildings in that area.
Have you posted an honest to goodness positive thing about KC without some sort of negative out clause in 3 years? Honestly Grid, you are turning crank on us!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 pm Have they considered a "bowl"?
🥺
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

lmao
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

By decree of the KCRag House of Representatives, such a measure shall be forbidden. :P
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:17 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:13 pm This thing is going to really dominate the River Market. Hopefully it turns out more attractive than the rendering. Also hope it leads to more ten plus story buildings in that area.
Have you posted an honest to goodness positive thing about KC without some sort of negative out clause in 3 years? Honestly Grid, you are turning crank on us!
Boy you don't like critics much huh. I just don't think the rendering make this project look all that great. It doesn't mean it won't look great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Answer the question sir!

For this specifically we are getting a dense highrise over a surface lot. All great things. That post seemed all negative. Just seems we only hear what's wrong with whatever. Just messing with you
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:52 pm Answer the question sir!

For this specifically we are getting a dense highrise over a surface lot. All great things. That post seemed all negative. Just seems we only hear what's wrong with whatever. Just messing with you
You have known me a for a long time. I will always point out what's wrong with stuff lol.