New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by normalthings »

We can’t get one and it doesn’t allow for climate control anyways.

SoFI’a roof is unbelievably expensive
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Olympiastadion in Berlin
Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund
Mercedes Benz in Stutgard
Hard Rock Miami
These four added partial roofs and all but one are all older than Arrowhead. Mercedes Benz even has a similar undulating top to the upper deck like Arrowhead, but not as dramatic.

Arthur Ash New York
Wembley Stadium London
Both added retractable roofs

BC Place Vancouver removed an inflatable roof and installed a retractable.

They are all done very well. It can be done and I assume it will.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Most people just hate the town and neighborhoods surround TSC."

I would imagine most Chiefs fans couldn't care less what is around TSC. The tradition of tailgating, before and somewhat after game, is strong here. The stadium could be in a desert as far as they are concerned. Who cares about bars and restaurants when one can save money brings their own booze and food.
If the royals do move from TSC I can see the stadium site becoming more parking and then maybe some limited development along Blue Ridge where some existing parking is now.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:16 am There were several reasons the airport ended up where it is.

The City didn't want it in a floodplain after the 1951 flood damaged downtown air facilities on both sides of the Missouri.

It had to have enough space to accommodate jumbo jetliners.

It was much easier to assemble such a large land parcel in what was then a still rural area than one closer to the city that might have been built up with development or houses.

It needed to be away from already-developed residential areas to avoid the problems of noise and pollution.

They had to find a place above the floodplain where a large area could be flattened without encountering a lot of rock formations that would have to be removed at great expense. It had to be geologically sound -- meaning no natural limestone caves underneath.
And I would add the city already owned much of the land there because of the TWA Overhaul Base. And adding additional land over the years was quite inexpensive since it was farmland. And the city bought almost all of that extra
land from willing sellers over an extended period of time (even let some of the sellers to continue farming the land until the city needed it).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:51 pm "Most people just hate the town and neighborhoods surround TSC."

I would imagine most Chiefs fans couldn't care less what is around TSC.
I think it's mostly coming from Royals fans. And they're right, but it will be resolved.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 pm We can’t get one and it doesn’t allow for climate control anyways.

You're saying we cant get a roof over Arrowhead?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 pm We can’t get one and it doesn’t allow for climate control anyways.

Yeah, you're wrong here. A roof doesn't need to be sealed to assist in climate control. A marginal rise in temperature with infrared stadium style heaters would be a big improvement, especially for the upper bowl which needs it the most.

It's possible and being considered. SoFi's roof is expensive for multiple reasons but two major factors are the fact it expands far past the playing surface and stadium itself to cover a 6.2 acre area. It also has an over the top, expensive LED lighting system capable of playing video which is worthless for any real world applications and wouldn't be required at Arrowhead.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:42 pm Yeah, you're wrong here. A roof doesn't need to be sealed to assist in climate control. A marginal rise in temperature with infrared stadium style heaters would be a big improvement, especially for the upper bowl which needs it the most.

It's possible and being considered. SoFi's roof is expensive for multiple reasons but two major factors are the fact it expands far past the playing surface and stadium itself to cover a 6.2 acre area. It also has an over the top, expensive LED lighting system capable of playing video which is worthless for any real world applications and wouldn't be required at Arrowhead.
Interesting info, thanks. I'm generally quite strongly against the idea of enclosed NFL stadiums, but it is without doubt the direction that every new stadium is headed. The idea of maintaining Arrowhead as a true classic, open air NFL experience is appealing, but a SoFi-style floating roof, designed to match the contours of the existing swoopy concrete decks and arches, and provide a KC SuperBowl, also sounds (potentially) awesome.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

For as long as these stadiums serve alcohol, the fan base here is so dedicated, it’s a way of life for people.. nobody will care what they do with the stadiums in the long run, and knowing our city it’ll end up costing tax payer money. Roof or no roof Missouri or Kansas, chiefs fans will still attend, y’all can argue all you want about this, but chiefs fans are consumed and will blindly follow whatever is thrown at them. All we can hope is that our city pulls its pants up, and somehow gets public transit out there other than the bus. A league can pay a player millions but can’t subsidize public transit in any way possible.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just don't understand the push on here for light rail to the stadium, especially if the baseball portion of it will not be there. No one will ride it on a regular basis besides the 10 games a year and, even then, how do you haul your bbq grill. It's really the dumbest idea I've heard on this board. Just a colossal waste of money and would be a huge fail. Our suburban childhood utopias were a lie. Best to not throw good money after bad.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:51 pm I just don't understand the push on here for light rail to the stadium, especially if the baseball portion of it will not be there. No one will ride it on a regular basis besides the 10 games a year and, even then, how do you haul your bbq grill. It's really the dumbest idea I've heard on this board. Just a colossal waste of money and would be a huge fail. Our suburban childhood utopias were a lie. Best to not throw good money after bad.
Seems a bit like jamming a cocktail straw into a Big Gulp. Like, what? It won't solve traffic problems or have any demand. I don't disagree that I-70 is a viable--perhaps one of the most viable--corridors for potential rail, but this stadium thing is kinda nutso.

And probably if we're being honest about viability... 35?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Stadium only? No. It would need to go much further east of the stadiums to be viable. Lots of people would use LRT to downtown for baseball games, probably more than if the stadium stayed where it is. Any tax would have to include extentions to the east to pass. Why would you build just a 6 mile LRT line? Yes, LRT down both 70 and 35 makes the most sense and I guarantee that would happen if Jackson started building a system.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Build commuter rail, the stadiums are a destination along the way, extend the line further east to Lees summit / Blue springs etc, I should’ve been more clear, we need better public transit more than we need a new stadium. This city thinks it’s progressive but we just keep pouring money into big sports when we can’t even maintain parks at a city level.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Commuter rail is stupid.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Jesus Christ, now I remember why I left Facebook. People in Kansas City are stuck in time.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

There’s people in between the urban core and TSC…..I know you all hate eastsiders but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Noahfleshman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:23 pm This city thinks it’s progressive but we just keep pouring money into big sports when we can’t even maintain parks at a city level.
But we haven't.

In fact, last almost 20 years we've done everything but sports. We got a pretty big transit line, a new airport, subsidized tons of new development...but yet the biggest thing we're struggling is actually investing properly in our sporting assets.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Noahfleshman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:23 pm This city thinks it’s progressive but we just keep pouring money into big sports when we can’t even maintain parks at a city level.
But we haven't.

In fact, last almost 20 years we've done everything but sports. We got a pretty big transit line, a new airport, subsidized tons of new development...but yet the biggest thing we're struggling is actually investing properly in our sporting assets.
A. The tax payer stadium renovation investment surpasses that if the airport or streetcar.
B. Many would argue the proper level is none
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

I understand your point, but sports in this city are like the pig we keep putting make up on, I think it’s sad how these leagues can pay player $1 billion, yet they can’t foot 50 million for their own renovations despite the fact they have beer endorsements, sports endorsements who knows what, it’s a shame sports betting didn’t get legalized in Missouri.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:59 pm
But we haven't.

A. The tax payer stadium renovation investment surpasses that if the airport or streetcar.
B. Many would argue the proper level is none
I’d make the argument that our pro sports teams are more important to this city than any public transit. Thankfully we don’t have to pick one or the other.