New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:29 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:24 am I don't understand the desire to develop the area around TSC with the Royals leaving. I also don't support a major public transportation spend to get to the area as it just makes no sense for NFL football. Especially not with parking revenue being a major factor.

I do wish visiting fans had some nicer things to look at when going to a game but let's be honest, they're staying downtown or the plaza, enjoying Kansas City and only venturing out to TSC on game day, for the game day experience. The lack of food options or bars/restaurants has helped create arguably the best tailgating in the league.
Because TSC is on the way to the rest of Jackson County it’s a great Phase 1 destination for LRT. The massive surface lots owned by the government make it a prime redevelopment location or park and ride and the roadways were already built out to support 80k+ people coming in/out.
Exactly. I will never understand why so many act like the metro area ends at Blue Ridge.

The stadiums are not really even in "eastern" Jackson County. Hell, the Blue Springs fire department is called the "Central" jackson county fire department.

Some day metro KC and Jackson County itself will start taking itself seriously and start acting like the county of nearly 3/4 million people that it is. (of which over half the population is outside of 435).

KC is not just downtown KC, the plaza and JoCo. Start investing in the primary county of the metro. Start with transit to the stadium(s). That should be phase one. Clean up the area around Arrowhead and start building the infrastructure that a county like Jackson deserves.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:02 pm KC is not just downtown KC, the plaza and JoCo. Start investing in the primary county of the metro. Start with transit to the stadium(s). That should be phase one. Clean up the area around Arrowhead and start building the infrastructure that a county like Jackson deserves.
Best way to do that is a development limit line. The development keeps moving (unsustainably so) further and further out. If we knew that this was as big a footprint as the city was going to be, I'd be more with you to encourage money inside that area. But, if we're going to try and surround Lee's Summit like we did Grandview or incorporate Blue Springs like we did Raytown, I'm a hard pass. There has to be a limit on where we encourage sprawl.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not saying that KCMO should annex the Jackson County suburbs. If anything, KCMO should de-annex the land it has east of Raytown and south of Grandview.

I'm saying that people act like there is nothing in Jackson County other than the stadiums and the downtown-plaza portion of KCMO. When in reality, there are hundreds of thousands of people in the county outside of 435. People want to move things to Village West where the ENTIRE county is less populated than Lee's Summit+Blue Springs.

Why not invest more in the most populated county in the metro? Light rail, or whatever to the sports complex and rebuilding the area around it would be a starting point to doing that. Build up the area around the stadium, start building LRT to other parts of the county and start cleaning up primary commercial corridors in the county from the suburbs all the way to downtown like US-40 etc.

Maybe people in Jackson County would support downtown more too if it were more connected to it socially and they had a more vested interest in it.

I'm not blaming KCMO here either. Jackson County itself has TERRIBLE leadership. It acts like a small rural county politically. The infrastructure there is embarrassing for a large metropolitan county. But it's also embarrassing for Kansas City in general.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:18 pm People want to move things to Village West where the ENTIRE county is less populated than Lee's Summit+Blue Springs.

Why not invest more in the most populated county in the metro?
I'm gonna guess it's simply because the people in KS suburbs have alot more money
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Suburban KCK is more affluent than suburban Jackson? Yeah, don't think so. And there is a LOT more money in suburban Jackson County than people not familiar with the area think.

And the TSC is probably more convenient to most of southern JoCo than western WyCo is. Plus, Clay and Platte County are also closer to the sports complex than than any location in KS.

The MO suburbs (east and northland) are more economically diverse, but there are still a LOT of people in those areas with money and the population of the MO side suburbs is double that of the KS suburbs, so just in pure size the numbers are significant.

Again, there is so much more to KC than JoCo. It's wild that people there STILL think that JoCo is where 90% of the "money" is in KC though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Also. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that "most" of the season ticket holders are from JoCo and KS. That's not true either. Just like most of the players don't live in KS even though a lot of them do. Hell a lot of Kansas people think all the players live in JoCo lol.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm Also. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that "most" of the season ticket holders are from JoCo and KS. That's not true either. Just like most of the players don't live in KS even though a lot of them do. Hell a lot of Kansas people think all the players live in JoCo lol.
Man people say the wrong things about a lot of things. Who cares.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm Also. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that "most" of the season ticket holders are from JoCo and KS. That's not true either. Just like most of the players don't live in KS even though a lot of them do. Hell a lot of Kansas people think all the players live in JoCo lol.
Two of the biggest names on the team live in Missouri, a ton of players live in Lees Summit. I only know of a handful that live on the Kansas side. Players tend to live in clusters since they often look to other players on recommendations. Not that any of this matters in respect to the stadium location, just anecdotal information.

As for the idea of the Chiefs ever playing in Kansas, just won't happen.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 pm
Man people say the wrong things about a lot of things. Who cares.
Just saying if I had a dollar!....
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Agreed. It's very annoying. I would hope most of our players live in the urban core since prob most are young & unmarried.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I always get a kick out of this too. Mahomes doesn't even live in JoCo.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The “we need to go to south JoCo because of season ticket holders!” is dumb as shit too.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:20 pm
Where did he build his new house?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

He's building it in Lock Lloyd
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:29 pm He's building it in Lock Lloyd
A modest 8-acre plot. ;)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beermestrength wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:40 pm
im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:20 pm
Where did he build his new house?
His old house wasn't in JoCo either, just to clarify. LOL
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He gained a half billion dollars could be a contributing factor.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Fountains wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:10 am I wonder why he is moving so soon.
He never intended to stay in the ranch home long term. I think he waited until he knew this is where he will be for a long time, likely even after his playing career is over to go big on his "forever" home.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Shoot me down for being a broken record, but I don't get why people are so happy to settle for the stadium staying where it is. Its a municipal asset, it shouldn't be out on an island like it is IMO.
A healthy modern city is based on a clustering of
complimenting uses. This is basically a carbon copy of 1970s car-centric suburban thinking.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:08 am Shoot me down for being a broken record, but I don't get why people are so happy to settle for the stadium staying where it is. Its a municipal asset, it shouldn't be out on an island like it is IMO.
A healthy modern city is based on a clustering of
complimenting uses. This is basically a carbon copy of 1970s car-centric suburban thinking.
Where do you want it?