Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by KCPowercat »

KC continues it's streak of piecemeal bike lanes different block to block
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:53 pm KC continues it's streak of piecemeal bike lanes different block to block
Are they gonna include the trees like in the renderings?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Now that 10 to 13th is finished I don't really get it. The floating bike lane I guess will be nice if we can get people to park right (they need signs telling them it's not all on them). The concrete half moons are worthless. We already had to restripe one parking line. Now they are tearing out curb ramps (why after the repave I have no idea)

Looks like floating bike lanes will also be going through the p&l corridor but only on the west side.

Maybe once all done it will make sense.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:22 pm Image
What a cluster. Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars. Whoever designed this should be fired. Along with the PM for arranging so much concrete work after the repaving.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why aren't they adding landscaping and tree wells? I see places in the roadway where they could.

Why does the turn lane need to be so wide? It looks like one could park two vehicles side by side in those.

The half moons wouldn't be eating cars if they had put up a raised planter barrier in that space with landscaping in it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

How much does it cost to cut a tree box and plant a healthier tree in it? It can’t be too much to add some. They might not provide much shade now but in a few years they will. They’re beneficial.

If you want to see how hellish it can be without trees, just walk on Grand during a hot summer day or go to Nashville where a ton of trees were cut down for new buildings. It’s miserable
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's especially disappointing when you see busy streets in other major cities lined with large trees and a shade canopy and the streets are much narrower than Grand. Kansas City has always made a big thing about its' boulevard system, but here's a case where they could really do a significant upgrade in one downtown and they have failed.

Mexico City has much more vehicular traffic that KCMO.

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4188886 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4181214 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Impre ... d-99.17064

Sao Paulo, Brazil

https://www.google.com/maps/@-23.541173 ... 384!8i8192

Buenos Aires, Argentina

https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.571484 ... 384!8i8192

Paris

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8430343 ... 384!8i8192
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

My biggest issue with the half-moons are that Platt made a few comments about them being pedestrian islands, when that cannot be farther from the truth. At minimum make them as wide as the median and line up with the crosswalks.

Trees would make a world of difference but I see them not being open to that since they use Grand for parades - ie sight lines (even though that's a stupid excuse from my end).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

gfenn11 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:26 am My biggest issue with the half-moons are that Platt made a few comments about them being pedestrian islands, when that cannot be farther from the truth. At minimum make them as wide as the median and line up with the crosswalks.

Trees would make a world of difference but I see them not being open to that since they use Grand for parades - ie sight lines (even though that's a stupid excuse from my end).
Pedestrian Islands? So they are ADA accessible?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are barely big enough to put two feet on and they are 2 foot behind the crosswalk.

Just another half hearted attempt. Make Grand "okay" should be the name of this project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Parades can never work with trees in the medians.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

im2kull wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:36 am
What a cluster. Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars. Whoever designed this should be fired. Along with the PM for arranging so much concrete work after the repaving.
I assume the lanes closest to the curb is the dedicated bike lane, and those areas marked off next to it are for car parking. Looks like simple labeling would help such as a big label in the parking area stating "PARKING" and then perhaps labeling the bike path as such :BIKE PATH" or even make all the bike paths a specific color. I like the setup it looks well planned just need to make it obvious to people and some more streetscape stuff
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 am They are barely big enough to put two feet on and they are 2 foot behind the crosswalk.

Just another half hearted attempt. Make Grand "okay" should be the name of this project.
They serve a purpose and if they cut down even 2% on the driving the wrong way on a one-way problem we have, it's a win.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars.
Is this bad?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:03 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 am They are barely big enough to put two feet on and they are 2 foot behind the crosswalk.

They serve a purpose and if they cut down even 2% on the driving the wrong way on a one-way problem we have, it's a win.
Honestly I thought this was just a masked way of trying to prevent those sideshows and whatnot going down grand
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:48 am Parades can never work with trees in the medians.
Would love this look down Grand but would oppose this between 13th and 14th. Prefer a more flexible space to be used here and there for special occasions.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:04 am
Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars.
Is this bad?
That is their goal isn’t it? Why do people get shocked when a device meant to force traffic into a certain area does that? No blame for the drivers who absolutely 100% are at fault?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don’t see the bike lane in that picture. Is it under all those cars?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:11 am I don’t see the bike lane in that picture. Is it under all those cars?
Downtown drivers aren't used to these bike lanes considering they see a biker using them 2.8 times a year.