The Future

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Future

Post by bahua »

We have tried numerous automated ways to combat the spam, but there is simply no bot-proof method. I have activated 14 new users in 2020, and while I agree that's a very low number, that is out of 954 registrations. The vast majority of these are bots. Even including the 14 users I activated, only six have more than zero posts.

I don't like it any more than you do, but the reason this site is not swimming in spam is because of these measures.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bahua wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:50 pm We have tried numerous automated ways to combat the spam, but there is simply no bot-proof method. I have activated 14 new users in 2020, and while I agree that's a very low number, that is out of 954 registrations. The vast majority of these are bots. Even including the 14 users I activated, only six have more than zero posts.

I don't like it any more than you do, but the reason this site is not swimming in spam is because of these measures.
Switching to a host platform such as Tapatalk (what Urban STL uses) would take the burden off your shoulders
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The burden of activating users isn't particularly severe.

Also though, I am committed to this forum existing ad-free. I promised years ago that it would be forever. Tapatalk offers no option for any price to keep ads off a forum with this level of traffic. Only individual users can pay a monthly fee to remove ads -- ads which do not benefit the forum in question either. All revenue goes to tapatalk. Also, tapatalk's privacy policy is onerous(sharing user data with business partners, etc), and I cannot in good conscience subject users of a free forum to compromising advertisement and onerous privacy after promising to do the opposite.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't believe people are not joining due to onerous application processes.

Most folks are voyeurs and just want to know what's going on without any intention of commenting.

"Long time listener, first time caller". Some eventually sign up when they have something to say.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 am I don't believe people are not joining due to onerous application processes.
I think you're overestimating how much people care about joining forums they have no existing ties to. Back when a Twitter account was necessary for activation I just didn't bother with it because I didn't have a Twitter account and didn't care to jump through those extra hoops to get set up here -- and I was even someone who had already posted here a few dozen times (on an account which was mysteriously deleted, presumably by mistake in the great war on spam). Email is more convenient, but for a random passerby they have to account not just for the time it takes to compose and send an email, but also the completely unknowable amount of time it will take for their email to be read and acted on. Pretty inconvenient for someone who wants to jump into an existing, ongoing conversation.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So we agree?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

This forum at one point required a Twitter? That's funny. I never would have gone for that if I had known.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 am I don't believe people are not joining due to onerous application processes.

Most folks are voyeurs and just want to know what's going on without any intention of commenting.

"Long time listener, first time caller". Some eventually sign up when they have something to say.
I believe I fit this description.
gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

I made an account almost for the sole purpose of the forum keeping track of what I had already read for me.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

mean wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:33 pm This forum at one point required a Twitter? That's funny. I never would have gone for that if I had known.
Definitely not in the time I've hosted it, which began in 2006, I believe.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just putting this hear because it was talked about, but now the Forum displays a Tapatalk Favicon on my Safari on Mac. Before, there was never a favicon, so I just find it interest that there's a tapatalk one up there now.

Anyone else have this? Not sure if you can see it from the screenshot, but it's there in the top right.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think that's just safari taking a liberty with a phpbb forum without its own site icon.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 am
bahua wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:33 pm
bchociej wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:08 am Would you be interested in sharing numbers regarding bandwidth, traffic counts, database size, hosting costs, etc?
Hosting for the server on which this site runs(and constitutes 99.9999-repeating% of the host's traffic and use) is $20 a month. Annual domain renewal is about $15. Mail delivery is being increased from free to about $35 a month. The database is about 750 MB in size. Traffic numbers require installing a monitoring agent on the host, and I haven't felt compelled to do that yet. I suppose I probably should.
UrbanSTL uses Tapatalk which has hosting plans from a basic forum for $0 to $10/month for everything including a forum iPhone/Android app. It is, imho, a much better interface/experience with the app making it much easier to post project updates from. Tapatalk also manages spam prevention which makes the sign up process for a new account much much easier than our current emailing scheme. KCRAG has added something like 9 users this year. We need to make it easier to join and spread the word in general.

Tapatalk has a built in donation/award feature, supports advertisements and memberships, etc.

https://www.urbanstl.com

https://www.tapatalk.com/introduction
I would love to see us make it easier to join. I’m happy with the way the forum is set up but I also like Urbanstl. I think as the sort of face of YIMBY in KC it is important that we make it as easy to join as possible
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What are ambassadors on here?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anyone see how the Omaha forum looks after an update? Keeps the same general layout as this forum but with a more modern design.
https://www.eomahaforums.com/
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:10 am What are ambassadors on here?
This is linked at the top of almost every page. Supporters and Ambassadors keep the lights on around here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Is there a way to block a user entirely. I don’t even want to know they responded to my post
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

You can add them to your ignore list, but I don't believe this marks their posts as read.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I'm having an issue where my account won't stay logged in when I try to respond the DMs on here. If I type out a message and it click respind it sends me to the login page continuously. I've tried clearing out the cookies and everything. Does anyone know how to fix this?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Separately, I tried to update my Patreon payment method and it keeps rejecting two different cards. Trying to pay!