Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Oh my god it’s actually happening. Is there a timeline?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Has there been any updates to what the city wants to do on Grand outside of T-Mobile?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

For some reason this plan isn't widely available to the public and I have no idea why
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:59 pm For some reason this plan isn't widely available to the public and I have no idea why
I'm anxiously awaiting the plan for that section of Grand because the 2011 drawings show a very dramatic change. More of a elevated plaza with tons of trees.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No recent outreach to the Crossroads either. *sigh*
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Barring going back through all the posts on this thread to make sure this isn't a repeat link, a little google machine work found the following.

https://www.bnim.com/project/grand-boul ... scape-plan

The date leads me to believe this is the 2011 dwg mentioned above. This is a beautiful plan!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

longtimelistener wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:37 pm Barring going back through all the posts on this thread to make sure this isn't a repeat link, a little google machine work found the following.

The date leads me to believe this is the 2011 dwg mentioned above. This is a beautiful plan!
This thing looks so good that it might be almost as good as the cap.

Between this, the Greenline & the south loop cap...it tells me that KC is seeing 'walkability' as its number one issue it wants to tackle by 2026.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 pm
longtimelistener wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:37 pm Barring going back through all the posts on this thread to make sure this isn't a repeat link, a little google machine work found the following.

This thing looks so good that it might be almost as good as the cap.

Between this, the Greenline & the south loop cap...it tells me that KC is seeing 'walkability' as its number one issue it wants to tackle by 2026.
We were going to meetings to comment on this design a decade ago, finally got a couple lines of paint in late 2017. Maybe one day.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No way that is what is coming. I'd love it but it would be getting more fanfare.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:25 pm No way that is what is coming.
Why not? We should be asking for the moon right now. Tie it into the Cap project and get federal and state money for it. Say it's connecting a hotel/entertainment area to the arena for WC entertainment events and that it's vital for the cities WC program.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Because the city would be pimping it more. We can't even see the plan.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:44 pm Because the city would be pimping it more. We can't even see the plan.
Haven't really seen highway Cap updated plan for several years either though and it sounds like that's making progress. I'm hopeful for some big surprises to jump soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Me too. Hopeful but given grand work has already started I'm less optimistic of anything truly grand.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Protected Bike Lane First Step in Making Grand Grand Vision
The City Council has approved funding to plan a protected bike lane on Grand Boulevard between the South Loop and Crown Center, the first step toward implementing the “Making Grand Grand” vision hatched over a decade ago.

The money for the Grand Boulevard bike lane through the Crossroads District is part of a $1.1 million contract awarded to Veenstra and Kimm that also includes planning for three trail projects in the Northland.

It’s described by the city as the “first phase of the ‘Making Grand Grand‘ concept approved years ago by the Parks Board.
Ball is moving here

The city’s first attempt at implementing part of the proposal, painting bicycle lanes on Grand in 2017, was described as a “fiasco” by Minder. The paint wore off leaving only faint reminders and providing cyclists little security.
This must be what Specht was talking about earlier^
The planning money will allow the city to come up with an accurate budget for building the project, which Minder said may not be completed for three- to four years. He said the timing depends on potential federal funding and the city’s street resurfacing schedule.

As for the remainder of Grand, the funding includes planning to continue the bike lanes into Crown Center, which Minder said will be a more challenging stretch than the wide open street between Truman and Pershing.

As for the central business district and River Market, while the bike path is ultimately proposed for running that entire stretch of Grand, no funding is in the works for planning that route at this point.

“Because of budget constraints, we want to focus on the south portion of Grand and pick up on the momentum of Gillham,” Minder said.

He added the planned protected bike lane would connect the proposed South Loop Link with Crown Center.
Story at https://cityscenekc.com/protected-bike- ... nd-vision/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They literally just finished resurfacing a large swath of grand through the CBD. I thought maybe they were going to make some kind of adjustment now while doing that. Its a shame they missed that opportunity.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

great looking plan and would go perfect with the cap, creating an amazing connection from downtown to Crown Center. Hopefully it cab get done.

On the dedicated bike path one image shows a 1 way lane shot the other a 2 way bike lane. IF given a preference I'd vote for one side be South bound and the other side of the street Northbound. Give more room for a pedestrian side walk plus less congestion for bike users knowing everyone is going the same way (hopefully). I assume this may help with Scooter traffic as well (Birds)
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

kboish wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:17 pm They literally just finished resurfacing a large swath of grand through the CBD. I thought maybe they were going to make some kind of adjustment now while doing that. Its a shame they missed that opportunity.
The West side of the street is becoming parking protected. For whatever dumb reason, the East side is remaining the current layout that will be worn off again in 4 years. And this is only happening from 10th-Truman.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kboish wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:17 pm They literally just finished resurfacing a large swath of grand through the CBD. I thought maybe they were going to make some kind of adjustment now while doing that. Its a shame they missed that opportunity.
I mean, they did add a bunch of new concrete things in the middle of the roadway (a now unmarked roadway) that everyone is hitting. RIP cars. Can't believe they added those and have let it roll without being striped for the last three weeks now. Accidents galore.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:15 pm
I mean, they did add a bunch of new concrete things in the middle of the roadway (a now unmarked roadway) that everyone is hitting. RIP cars. Can't believe they added those and have let it roll without being striped for the last three weeks now. Accidents galore.
Try paying attention next time!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:18 pm
The West side of the street is becoming parking protected. For whatever dumb reason, the East side is remaining the current layout that will be worn off again in 4 years. And this is only happening from 10th-Truman.
Glad they are making at least part of it parking protected. That seemed like it was the easiest move that you could do without a huge investment. Its not perfect, but it is better.