Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by normalthings »

construction permit filed
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is the latest rendering for Converge Phase 2. I don't think it has been posted here. The project is on the docket for CPC 7/5/22:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hopefully that's a retail spot on lower right corner. Looks like it could easily be at some point.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The plans mention retail, so I assume that lower right corner is it.
KCDowntownLoop
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCDowntownLoop »

The walls to Elmhurst—the Bird home (as in Emery Bird Thayer)—still exist around this development, and I hope they keep them intact. If you go to the west side of the block (Valentine and Pennsylvania), the "Elmhurst" name is still on the wall.

https://valentineneighborhood.org/bird-mansion/
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It has to a degree, but that armor from Armour south to Westport has had years of neglect after the suburban flight. Most of the residences there were low rent, “flop house” hotels, etc. for years. I’m excited to see anything be down to bring what was once a vibrant midtown back to life. These developments, plus what has already been done & continues to be sparked around Armour is great. Plus the street car going down Main will continue to spur development between Broadway & Main all the way to the Plaza. We already seen some projects done, more in the way. I’m excited to see another neighborhood come to life again in midtown. I get the buildings might be dull but if people come back to live there I’m happier for the businesses and such that will return & keep those already open viable
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I completely agree, dukuboy. I could definitely nitpick the design of this development, or think of a much more ideal development for this site in a dream situation. But the bottom line is that this project adds about 300 apartment units and retail space, while maintaining the original retail and removing surface parking.

Not every development can be a home run. This one isn't perfect, but I'll take it.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Considering that the project transformed a suburban strip mall into several hundred residences and will convert a barren corner surface lot into a street facing building with ground floor retail and residences above, I'm more than happy with it. With the corner occupied, it will balance well against the other taller building along Broadway. The project even managed to reuse the parking structure which is the most sustainable form of construction.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah it's a generic lego block building but fine here. Only change I would've made is facing entirely along Broadway to block the lot view from Bway.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Agreed, having a continuous wall of retail on Broadway and all parking access from Valentine would have been an improvement. Dang, now I'm looking at the google maps view and I'm becoming more critical. But, all and all, good not great infill. I love seeing surface lots disappear.