Writing a Code of Conduct

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Post Reply
User avatar
bahua
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10916
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: Out of Town
Contact:

Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by bahua »

Some abusive behavior around here has prompted some to advise me to write, adopt and enforce a code of conduct for the forum. I was resistant to the idea at first, but now I think it's probably wise. I have some ideas, but are there any specific items you'd like to see in it? Here is the first one that comes to mind, so maybe try to keep it in this general format:

Be Respectful
Any language or other communication that indicates a desire of harm to another person on the forum will not be tolerated.
longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 994
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by longviewmo »

Appreciate it.
User avatar
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9279
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:57 am
Location: Kansas City, Missouri (Downtown)
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's sad you have to basically say, "No threatening to harm people." But I get it.
KC is the way to be!
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 19369
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by DaveKCMO »

Something about revealing or posting personal information.
User avatar
bahua
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10916
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: Out of Town
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by bahua »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 pm Something about revealing or posting personal information.
No Doxxing
Everyone reserves the right to reveal personal details about themselves on their own terms. With or without malice, posting identifying information about another person on the forum will not be tolerated.
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 19369
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by DaveKCMO »

bahua wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:45 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 pm Something about revealing or posting personal information.
No Doxxing
Everyone reserves the right to reveal personal details about themselves on their own terms. With or without malice, posting identifying information about another person on the forum will not be tolerated.
Perfect.
User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 16758
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by FangKC »

How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue

A classic essay defines different ways to disagree, from the worst to the best, with lessons that ring true in our divisive times.

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/ho ... 56666645-1
User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9582
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:34 pm How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue

A classic essay defines different ways to disagree, from the worst to the best, with lessons that ring true in our divisive times.

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/ho ... 56666645-1
To be fair, I think this forum is pretty respectful. A few forums I've been a part of in the past have a majority of posters that immediately move to the bottom of the pyramid you posted. That's especially true of forums that have a membership that is heavily weighed towards one side of the political spectrum - people can be complete asses when they feel they have the benefit of numbers. Although this is a left-skewed forum, I do not see that happening here. Most discussions are generally pretty civil.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Tucson Arizona
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by KCKev »

Well I stand on the Free Speech podium. Censorship is never the answer to a problem. I've found rag members to have good insights.Just stop posting in forums that run astray. If someone pushes the limit then have a conversation with that individual ,working with him or her creating the problem. Take a two strike your out approach. Then slam the hammar down.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
User avatar
bahua
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10916
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: Out of Town
Contact:

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by bahua »

AllThingsKC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm It's sad you have to basically say, "No threatening to harm people." But I get it.
Threatening harm is already a crime in every state and most Western countries, called assault.

Expressing a wish for harm to come to someone is not a crime, but it's still abusive and unacceptable in a place where civil discourse takes place.
User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9582
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by Highlander »

Highlander wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:41 pm
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:34 pm How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue

A classic essay defines different ways to disagree, from the worst to the best, with lessons that ring true in our divisive times.

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/ho ... 56666645-1
To be fair, I think this forum is pretty respectful.
Perhaps I spoke too soon.


viewtopic.php?t=21340&start=300
User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Killeen, TX

Re: Writing a Code of Conduct

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Highlander wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:41 pm
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:34 pm How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue

A classic essay defines different ways to disagree, from the worst to the best, with lessons that ring true in our divisive times.

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/ho ... 56666645-1
To be fair, I think this forum is pretty respectful.
Perhaps I spoke too soon.


viewtopic.php?t=21340&start=300
Yeah, it spiraled to say the least
Post Reply