Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

Cool pour happening today.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Split columns becoming a thing in KC? New air terminal has Y columns, now this with a V.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:06 pm Split columns becoming a thing in KC? New air terminal has Y columns, now this with a V.
Will end up being more of a W when done. Think this is half the structure.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

So they're made from wood or are those the forms?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:05 pm So they're made from wood or are those the forms?
forms
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

What’s the W for? What’s it represent?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:20 pm What’s the W for? What’s it represent?
Nothing. Transfers load from 3 columns above to 2 below in an attractive architectural feature
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Thwee Wight.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

More context on skybridge. Went away due to some operational concerns on the developers side. Wasn’t heated for example and it would have been considered egress, so codes required it to remain open 24/7. That’s not ideal as amenity areas need to be able to be closed down for safety at certain hours.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:23 pm More context on skybridge. Went away due to some operational concerns on the developers side. Wasn’t heated for example and it would have been considered egress, so codes required it to remain open 24/7. That’s not ideal as amenity areas need to be able to be closed down for safety at certain hours.
Lol. Whatever it takes to get it taken down I guess.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:23 pm More context on skybridge. Went away due to some operational concerns on the developers side. Wasn’t heated for example and it would have been considered egress, so codes required it to remain open 24/7. That’s not ideal as amenity areas need to be able to be closed down for safety at certain hours.
I was reminded of this Convo coming north on baltimore from crossroads the other day. At one time the light well building owner wanted to put a skywalk from the building to that new garage across Baltimore. It was squashed because it would ruin the view to the NY life building vista on 9th and it would have. Perfect example of why arts commission has oversight. Architecture and the like are definitely art.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:37 pm
Lol. Whatever it takes to get it taken down I guess.
Like I've said before. Big bummer for residents as it would have been a great feature for downtown living.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm
I was reminded of this Convo coming north on baltimore from crossroads the other day. At one time the light well building owner wanted to put a skywalk from the building to that new garage across Baltimore. It was squashed because it would ruin the view to the NY life building vista on 9th and it would have. Perfect example of why arts commission has oversight. Architecture and the like are definitely art.
The Arts commission had nothing to do with this going away but I'm glad a group of appointed citizens with no background in art, architecture or development protected your view of the side of a building.

Something like a skywalk should have over-site by the city and they should only be approved when the application makes sense and there's no major negative consequences. Sorry, "birds lives" are not significant.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Hopefully you are jesting about birds lives not being important. There have been major declines in world bird populations that don’t bode well for our environmental stability. We can’t rely on toxic chemicals to maintain a sustainable lifestyle and birds play an enormous role in controlling insect, rodent and other deleterious populations. There are major research organizations that are helping to find methods to utilize their benefits and help us to reduce our impact on their numbers. Migration tracking allows urban areas to reduce bird strikes during mass migrations as an example. Human convenience like sky bridges at higher elevations are simply another way to provide less exercise (which most Americans need) and reduce needed street activity in urban environments. I absolutely love good sustainable urban development and KC needs to step up on that.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

A goal of good urbanism is having people on the street. The skywalk was invented to get people off the street. So, building skywalks is bad urbanism.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Generally agree though a skywalk for private use between two buildings is not nearly as bad as skywalks for the general public. But yeah, ideally don't go there.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Tunnel that shit 🤣
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:43 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm
The Arts commission had nothing to do with this going away but I'm glad a group of appointed citizens with no background in art, architecture or development protected your view of the side of a building.

Something like a skywalk should have over-site by the city and they should only be approved when the application makes sense and there's no major negative consequences. Sorry, "birds lives" are not significant.
What? I didn't say they did I said I understand why they got that power. What does a developer have in architecture background of a city?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:04 pm A goal of good urbanism is having people on the street. The skywalk was invented to get people off the street. So, building skywalks is bad urbanism.
Such a bad blanket argument and flat out inaccurate in certain cases. Skywalks that connect office buildings to parking garages for example. If those people had to exit the building and walk across the street to enter the parking garage, that’s all they’re doing. They’re not deciding to suddenly take a stroll around the area or go and spend some money before heading home for the day.

For years I parked in the town pavilion garage as my office was in the town pavilion building. I’m so thankful for that skywalk especially in the depths of winter.