Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:02 pm Yeah, I still think Washington Sq Park is by far the best spot. I mean it's central to everything.
Location isn't even being considered as it's not a viable location and makes no sense. It's just a urbanized version of TSC, in the middle of nothing.

And why take away the little green space we have downtown? Just makes no sense.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am There's no way KC could pull that off. State building, jail and historic church demoed before construction and that tight location.... 1 in a billion chance.

There's no reason why this space would be easier to make work than Washington Square Park. The new stadium could be elevated from the street to fit there. No demos, the land is ready now and the streetcar is right there with highway access from all directions. A new Royals stadium does not need P&L right next to it. P&L will still benefit with younger fans that are used to walking and riding the streetcar while suburbanites would much rather be nearer to Crown Center.

sorry to beat a dead horse
The church doesn't need demolished. Washington SP would just barely fit a small minor league stadium, no chance even a smaller capacity MLB stadium fits.

It's a big assumption thinking suburbanites want to be closer to Crown Center. The stadium doesn't need to go next door to PNL but the closer it is, the better for all investors, taxpayers and fans.

EV is still the easiest location but it's a big risk. What if the stadium doesn't spur more development around it and it literally is nothing more than a stadium sitting there, surrounded by interstates and government buildings? Placing it near existing development hotspots ensures it will be additive to the downtown fabric and takes away the pressure of creating more development.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am There's no way KC could pull that off. State building, jail and historic church demoed before construction and that tight location.... 1 in a billion chance.

There's no reason why this space would be easier to make work than Washington Square Park. The new stadium could be elevated from the street to fit there. No demos, the land is ready now and the streetcar is right there with highway access from all directions. A new Royals stadium does not need P&L right next to it. P&L will still benefit with younger fans that are used to walking and riding the streetcar while suburbanites would much rather be nearer to Crown Center.

I know Target Field does this, gaining two acres by extending over railroad tracks and roadways.

Washington Square Park is 5-acres... How big does the footprint of an MLB stadium need to be?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:38 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
What does the scoreboard have to do with being downtown? A massive scoreboard will be a relatively small part of the budget. All new and re-modeled stadiums have massive scoreboards now.
Uh you don’t need a scoreboard the size of the K at the new stadium.
Obviously there would be a new design for the new stadium, but I think the Fountains and the Crown scoreboard will stay in the design. In fact those elements are to the point of being iconic now in baseball stadiums as they have been in MLB since 1973. The new big scoreboard is great and one of the better ones in all of pro sports. So Those elements will stay for sure. I agree that they can pair down the size of the video board a bit, especially if design dictates it. But the Crown shape stays as well as the outfield fountains. They may not form a "1" any more and they may be as big but I 100% guarantee they will be in the new design and I am good with that. Nothing wrong with incorporating iconic things into a new design.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Another crude rendering haha

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

freedog wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 pm

I know Target Field does this, gaining two acres by extending over railroad tracks and roadways.

Washington Square Park is 5-acres... How big does the footprint of an MLB stadium need to be?
10 acres minimum but 12 is ideal.

Att sight is 13. 13th site is 10.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:31 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:38 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm

What does the scoreboard have to do with being downtown? A massive scoreboard will be a relatively small part of the budget. All new and re-modeled stadiums have massive scoreboards now.
Uh you don’t need a scoreboard the size of the K at the new stadium.
Obviously there would be a new design for the new stadium, but I think the Fountains and the Crown scoreboard will stay in the design. In fact those elements are to the point of being iconic now in baseball stadiums as they have been in MLB since 1973. The new big scoreboard is great and one of the better ones in all of pro sports. So Those elements will stay for sure. I agree that they can pair down the size of the video board a bit, especially if design dictates it. But the Crown shape stays as well as the outfield fountains. They may not form a "1" any more and they may be as big but I 100% guarantee they will be in the new design and I am good with that. Nothing wrong with incorporating iconic things into a new design.
Agree the iconic "Crown Vision" will be a major part of the new stadium.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The jail site is the best spot because:
1. It can kick off development in EV still
2. It can kick off development on Grand/P&L
3. It can kick off development in the East Crossroads

No other location will create as much synergy. No other location can cover all 3 of these major spots downtown. Simple as that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:06 pm The jail site is the best spot because:

No other location will create as much synergy. No other location can cover all 3 of these major spots downtown. Simple as that.
I don't disagree. At&t building is the big question mark. Can it be torn down? I hope so because it's hideous.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:06 pm The jail site is the best spot because:

1. Not really
2. P&L already developed.
3. Sure
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:30 pm

1. Not really
2. P&L already developed.
3. Sure
You mean to ignore the ten thousand empty lots on Grand…? I get that you’re a very ‘glass half empty’ oriented person but I mean come on, most of those area’s are just common sense to fill in around a new stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

freedog wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 pm Washington Square Park is 5-acres... How big does the footprint of an MLB stadium need to be?
Does that include the blue cross building and that huge parking lot to the north?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:09 pm

I don't disagree. At&t building is the big question mark. Can it be torn down? I hope so because it's hideous.
Is there a way to maybe renovate it and incorporate it into the stadium like San Diego did with Western Metal Supply Company?
Example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/689261917950694052/
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm Another crude rendering haha

These are fantastic, thanks for posting these. Something to hope for!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:43 pm
freedog wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 pm Washington Square Park is 5-acres... How big does the footprint of an MLB stadium need to be?
Does that include the blue cross building and that huge parking lot to the north?
Don't think so. I just looked up Kc Park's website
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think at this point it’s coming down to P&L, Jail or EV. And I think decision is coming soon.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:43 pm
Including every square inch of that parking lot gets it up to 12 acres. The issue is being bound by Main and Grand. Childrens Mercy would just barely fit in between those streets. A baseball stadiums unique shape doesn't fit regardless of how it's orientated.

Let's save this location for a future downtown Soccer stadium!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

1. Washington Park is only about 570 feet wide. And you would need something well over 600ft for a modern stadium.

2. The idea that Washington Park is in the middle of nothing is ludicrous.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:38 pm 1. Washington Park is only about 570 feet wide. And you would need something well over 600ft for a modern stadium.

We don’t need to keep debating this because it’s not going to Washington Park
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:38 pm 1. Washington Park is only about 570 feet wide. And you would need something well over 600ft for a modern stadium.

Relative to what ownership and the mlb see as added layers to enhance a fans overall experience, Washington Park isn’t near anything. So middle of nothing. What do fans do during the hours before and after the game. That’s relative. Not what they’ll do if they make it a family weekend trip. Fans won’t check out crown center or union station on a game day. They want to eat and drink. Celebrate a big win or drown their sorrows after a big lose.

If Washington Park was the only option, they’d stay at TSC.