Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

Post by earthling »

^Like I said, there are explanations on both (all) ends of spectrum and most will believe what they want to hear. It's not as simplistic as any one measure or influence.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm Voting for the lessee of 2 evils has worked great
See economy
See World economy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 am All my family come from all over southern MO & the worst stat of all is that their parents were New Deal Dems because it saved them from the Depression & their kids, all my aunts & uncles, became Republicans just to not be like their parents. Just how it was in my family at least, that petty.
In the 1980's the GOP basically sold their soul when they courted the Ultra Conservative Religious right. Ultra Christian groups that controlled a very powerful narrative. They have been picking off rural, blue-collar, DEMs for decades. The DEMs went to hot & heavy with urban intellectuals and really left the others in the wake to court that coastal liberal money.

As an DEM and one that falls into the urban intellectual (college educated, white collar worker), I'd love to see a return of the party to more moderate views that have a chance to make a difference instead of trying to push some ideas to fast that may be too fringe to get all buy in. A little change here and there over a period of time on some (not all ) social issues and look to get things done on infrastructure and moving toward renewable energy, new green tech, science & education industries of innovation, as well as less reliant or foreign supply chains and more domestic production.

The USA rebuilt Europe after WWII and we were the science & technology leaders of the globe, producing amazing goods the rest of the world wanted. But now we lack that as we once did. This country is at it's best when innovating, our history has been about the "big dream" and achieving it
I wonder how long the two party system will last as the party platforms become more and more shifted towards the far left and far right. I think moderates in each opposing party are far more like each other than they are like the rest of the their own party. It would seem that conditions are ripe for a more mainstream party to evolve that embraces some of the more moderate components of each party.
viewtopic.php?p=642472#p642472
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm

See economy
Across the globe. No one govt leader can magically fix on own. We can make up whatever shit explanation we want on either end of spectrum and most will believe what they want to hear. Both religion and politics have exploited that well since civilization started.
America's issues are worse than others which is pretty embarrassing given the wealth and power this country has. If anyone thinks voting for the same establishment pile of shit to combat the rise of the Trumplican they are mistaken. We are seeing it played out in real time.
While the US is suffering some economic challenges, we are actually not having as many as some parts of the world. Our inflation is not as bad. We don't have the same energy concerns that Western Europe has because of the war in Ukraine and the sanctions against Russia.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Does anyone really think that if the orange guy had won in 2020 that we would be in any different situation?

Please.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:11 am Does anyone really think that if the orange guy had won in 2020 that we would be in any different situation?

Please.
Marginally. Social unrest would likely be SIGNIFICANTLY higher though. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This economist is great, big business is the one that causes inflation not the government printing more money and it makes perfect sense. I mean big business is reaping in record profits.
youtube.com/watch?v=RH1tT4NW8NI
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:57 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 pm Platte & Clay have shifted left and are gonna flip Dem next election.
You must not follow local politics and voter temps.

Clay county just had a massive ordeal with their more liberal commissioners. I am sure voters are beyond disillusioned with left leaning politicians up there.
not a certain anything will flip but living in Clay county it has certainly seen a little more blue tint to it over the years. I mean it used to be blue because when DEM's were heavy into the Blue Collar, Unions and the "working man". With the Ford Plant in the middle of Clay county and when the TWA overhaul base was here & Harley Davidson, it & Platte County, had a lot of Union workers. Plus those who went to work at Fairfax, NKC industrial, and a ton of KCPD and KCFD you had a large blue collar working base. That base has shifted to the GOP a lot over the years as they have spewed a false narrative and idea to these people but in the end they could care less about them, just wanted to scare them into voting red.

Don't get me wrong, most DEM's don't care about the people they court votes from either and this is more about politics and a political system that encourages politicians to only worry about staying in power than actually doing anything useful for their constituents. I'd love to see term limits in the House & Senate. Set them at 10yrs to help encourage more turnover and people to get involved in politics who are interested in making a difference. Right now it's leaders who have been in office for 25-30yrs are the ones more open to moderate ideas, not all but some. They don't worry too much about reelection because they are the known commodity and have built a strong base. Plus this might allow some of the good leaders to go back and give back to the next generation and encourage the amazing leaders who are out there to step up and run for office. There are a lot of really good people out there that do not get involved because they do not want to deal with the bs. They know they can get more done outside of politics, which is true and may always be true, but I'd love to see some of these people get involved. Instead the newer generation is filled with narcists who are looking to stroke their already inflated ego and run for office and wield power to be petty & vindictive and as a way to gain favor & do favor for people instead of being a leader with vision and purpose.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Inflation is high because global supply chains are fucked because, if you hadn't noticed, there has been a global pandemic going on for the past ~27 months, and many countries -- including a lot of the ones that make all the shit you want to buy -- have been taking it considerably more seriously than most of America has (for example, the police state-style lockdowns in China). What happens to those countries' economies isn't always just America's fault because of "something something reserve currency something something," and while America does have a big impact on other countries, it's a two-way street. On top of that, some industries badly miscalculated the effect that the pandemic would have on their business, leading to shortages of those products (lumber is one obvious example that has gotten a lot of attention). And on top of that, you have prices surging in some sectors as demand that had collapsed at the beginning of the pandemic (for, e.g., travel, or in many big cities, rental apartments, just as a couple easy examples) recovers (in the case of apartments, you also have pandemic measures like eviction moratoriums and rent freezes expiring, further driving price increases). As a relative latecomer to the causing-inflation party, now the war in Ukraine is also fucking things up, especially for food and energy. And every shock to one industry or sector ultimately has ripple effects across all the rest of the economy. Now you have businesses across the country reporting staffing shortages (as of the April BLS data, there were about two job openings for every available worker), further hampering supply and driving up costs. And even all of this is, ultimately, an oversimplified explanation, but it's closer to the reality than the utter inanity of "it's the Democrats' fault." The Democrats really are terrible, so it's bonkers that you people still feel like you have to invent reasons to hate them instead of just pointing to all of the things that are actually true.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm
I wonder how long the two party system will last as the party platforms become more and more shifted towards the far left and far right.
As an unabashed leftist, I would LOVE to see the Dems lurch really far to the left--but it does not seem to be happening. There is this pervasive narrative of "both sides are just so extreme" where it really is just the far right. Can anyone name a single "leftist" idea that the democrats have successfully implemented on a federal level? It seems like the more progressive members of the Dem party (AOC, the "squad," sherrod brown, etc) are silenced by the centrist party leadership so no progressive ideas really break through. On the other hand, the GOP really is the party of hard-right extremists--the Hawleys and Boeberts of the party actually call the shots and are rarely squashed by party leadership.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Does anyone really think that if the orange guy had won in 2020 that we would be in any different situation? Please.
This economist is great, big business is the one that causes inflation not the government printing more money and it makes perfect sense. I mean big business is reaping in record profits.
As an unabashed leftist, I would LOVE to see the Dems lurch really far to the left--
I didn't think that this already clown show of a thread could get worse but it's went from a comedic sewer to absolute insanity. Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet. Free speech exposes mental illness like nothing else.

<bahua>
This account has been deactivated. If the owner of this account can prove they can join the conversation without being abusive, I don't give a shit.
</bahua>
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet.
Would say this comment alone deserves for this sick person to be kicked off the rag. Ironically is the one who needs some serious help.

Not the kind of suggestion to ever make to anyone.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm
Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet.
Would say this comment alone deserves for this sick person to be kicked off the rag. Ironically is the one who needs some serious help.

Not the kind of suggestion to ever make to anyone.
Jesus. It’s one thing to disagree politically, and even get a little heated. It’s a whole other thing to tell people they should kill themselves for what they believe…
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm
Does anyone really think that if the orange guy had won in 2020 that we would be in any different situation? Please.
As an unabashed leftist, I would LOVE to see the Dems lurch really far to the left--
I didn't think that this already clown show of a thread could get worse but it's went from a comedic sewer to absolute insanity. Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet. Free speech exposes mental illness like nothing else.
And just fyi, the St Louis Reddit thread has also posted a similar thread about joining Illinois. Everything you have posted in this thread has been vague and none of it has been a talking point, its basically you bitching that someone brought it up
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm I didn't think that this already clown show of a thread could get worse but it's went from a comedic sewer to absolute insanity. Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet. Free speech exposes mental illness like nothing else.
To want your fellow countrymen to commit suicide simply because they disagree with you, or have different political goals, reveals more about the troubled state of your soul and mind than anything. To advocate that people who have different political beliefs than you be placed in mental institutions is a device used by fascist regimes. That is what was done in the Soviet Union, and in places like China and North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... psychiatry

To maintain that another party is mentally ill because they hold different beliefs or goals than you is also a form of gaslighting. I've seen many of the right use this technique to make arguments against opponents. The basic premise is that anyone who doesn't agree with my views is mentally ill.

Finally, when you resort to this defense in an argument it really only reveals that you lack the ability to make a good case for your point of view, and you can only resort to trolling, or name-calling. As a result, you lose all standing, and people tend to ignore you in the future.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Oh please stop being hypocrites. It was hyperbole. And I’ll admit in retrospect it was in poor taste.
If any of you snowflakes thought I was serious I apologize, sincerely.
My bad, and I mean it.

Those of you advocating for KC to leave Missouri why don’t you just move to Kansas?
If you are sincere in promoting this silly and impossible idea just move.
In typical liberal fashion you’re demanding that the city cowtow to your inane ramblings.
While we’re at it why don’t we physically move city Hall to 13th and Grand and fill that massive, ugly surface lot.
We can turn 12th and Locust into a homeless camp again.

<bahua>
This account has been deactivated. If the owner of this account can prove they can join the conversation without being abusive, I don't give a shit.
</bahua>
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Geographically Speaking the River Market to Martin City part of Kansas City flows and lines up better with Kansas Anyway. The Northland is basically another world and could be its own suburb. Create the KC border at the Blue River to the East, the Kansas and Missouri River to the north and that area can join Kansas, the Northland and anything on the East Side of Blue River can stay in Missouri
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Nothing makes an apology sound more sincere than insulting the person you are apologizing to in the middle of it. &
mykn

Post by mykn »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm Some of you people need to be in a mental institution or just commit suicide already and help save the planet. Free speech exposes mental illness like nothing else.
Just quoting this for posterity, would be cool if mods actually did a shit about this kind of speech on this site, but nope, just have fuck nuts dragging it down for everyone else.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm very sorry I haven't been very attentive on the board. I'm about to kick some alt-right ass.