Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:38 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm But grid is right the scoreboard isn't breaking the budget. That said that's a signature of Kauffman now I don't think the same thing is needed at a new stadium.
Tbh with you as long as we get the jail site, especially with highrise curling the highway (between stadium & the highway) then I could care less what they do with stadium. I just didn't want stuff like build a giant scoreboard to slow down construction time.

If we land the jail site and get that high rise up towards the highway…then that means you’d be seeing high-rise from literally all angles. Drooling thinking about it.
Nah, do it right. You want want a bland stadium. I enjoy going to nationals games and it's a very urban area now, but it's one of the most bland and forgettable stadiums in MLB. KC has already built an iconic stadium unique to KC with the fountains, they can the theme going.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
The cost of the scoreboard and any other advertising panels would likely be paid for by advertising revenues.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Jail site: wouldn't they have to build the new jail before they could tear the old one down and start preping the site.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:00 pm Jail site: wouldn't they have to build the new jail before they could tear the old one down and start preping the site.
They are I think. Out on Highway 40 near the stadiums. Big sprawling jail site where the trailer park used to be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So if they build the stadium on the site of the Jackson County jail, what else will they tear down? I can see the Missouri state office building getting torn down, that's long overdue for a replacement. But that still leaves the Holiday Inn and the At&t long lines. That would be a good spot for a stadium if it will fit. That would leave the EV open for a full blown neighborhood to develop. Would the stadium be partially over 670 or something? You could at least build some sparking over the interstate like they have done with the stadium in Minneapolis.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:00 pm Jail site: wouldn't they have to build the new jail before they could tear the old one down and start preping the site.
They are I think. Out on Highway 40 near the stadiums. Big sprawling jail site where the trailer park used to be.
Yes but construction hasn't started. How long is that time line to build and move. Clock is ticking for 2026.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 pm So if they build the stadium on the site of the Jackson County jail, what else will they tear down? I can see the Missouri state office building getting torn down, that's long overdue for a replacement. But that still leaves the Holiday Inn and the At&t long lines. That would be a good spot for a stadium if it will fit. That would leave the EV open for a full blown neighborhood to develop.
No way long lines is coming down. Isn't it still full of gear. If not redevelop it as part of the stadium.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m gonna keep pushing the jail site idea. I drew up a couple amateur renderings today that I’ll try to post here so people can see what it might be able to be for the south loop cap & East Village.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm

I think building the same scoreboard would make the new stadium look cheesy and dumb. It won't fit with a more urban stadium which is probably what AlkaliAxel is thinking. It can and likely will be a large one, but it doesn't have to be the same shape etc. I'm sure they can design new scoreboard using the crown theme without building another monstrosity scoreboard that overpowers the stadium.

The fountains on the other hand just have to be part of the new stadium. They don't have to be the same as Kauffman, but you have to incorporate fountains into the stadium. And I'm not talking about tossing a fountain onto the side of the stadium just to say they did something like the new KCI terminal is doing. I mean an impressive fountain incorporated into the outfield somehow.
Agreed. Leave crownvision behind..

And kci main art piece at the center of the airport is an homage to fountains. It doesn't have to be wet to reflect our city of fountains history
The inside art is fine, I just don't think anybody will even see the fountain placed in the side courtyard. Maybe it will be more integrated than I'm thinking.
That whole side yard seems silly to me but hope I'm wrong.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Grid to answer your question, no I don’t think stadium will have to go over the 670. In fact, remember that green leafy hotel from the Pendulum renderings? I think we can something like curl around the highway, between the highway and the stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Super quick and rough photoshop just to see how things could look. The stadium would likely be oriented more to the north? If you can also imagine the 670 park going all the way from Bartle to the stadium.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 am Super quick and rough photoshop just to see how things could look. The stadium would likely be oriented more to the north? If you can also imagine the 670 park going all the way from Bartle to the stadium.

Yes I’m with you on this except for one more thing- slip a narrow highrise between stadium and the highway. Example of it would be that leafy tower on the Pendulum rendering.

Keep the other building you have up currently too.

That way, from all angles, it’s surrounded by buildings. That’s my one and only request here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

A stadium will 100% fit there and it’s an excellent location.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:51 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
The cost of the scoreboard and any other advertising panels would likely be paid for by advertising revenues.
Not really. In the stadium, arena and convention world we call these digital assets. Yes, they are a source of revenue but even for good mlb teams, it takes years to break even on the investment. Crown Vision at the K for example is a 5 million dollar or more expense.

They’re not only used for advertising or else they wouldn’t make sense. The ability to use them in a mixed method of advertising and fan engagement, information and entertainment make them worth the expense.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

Ummm... hello. Historic Church at this location... just saying.

https://www.stmaryskcmo.org/
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

If they were to choose that spot they would actually have to start working on traffic detour signage and come up with a plan so that the buses wouldn't have an even further detour (with a hypothetical event at T-Mobile at the same time).

Even without a T-Mobile event, I could see them wanting to close Grand and Oak.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This is only a few blocks from the EV location. Wouldn't that be infinitely easier and, in the end, not make much of a difference? Put something else in the old jail and SOB sight. It will be a more desirable location once the stadium is a couple hundred yards away.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I also think that spot could have some pedestrian challenges from the South and East
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

There's no way KC could pull that off. State building, jail and historic church demoed before construction and that tight location.... 1 in a billion chance.

There's no reason why this space would be easier to make work than Washington Square Park. The new stadium could be elevated from the street to fit there. No demos, the land is ready now and the streetcar is right there with highway access from all directions. A new Royals stadium does not need P&L right next to it. P&L will still benefit with younger fans that are used to walking and riding the streetcar while suburbanites would much rather be nearer to Crown Center.

sorry to beat a dead horse
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah, I still think Washington Sq Park is by far the best spot. I mean it's central to everything.