Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Post by GRID »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:23 am Regarding some of this previous talk about drive vs train time. You should all be praying for center running, dedicated lane, and high degree of signal priority for northland expansion or it will be next to pointless.

Yep. No point in building this if you don't do it that way. This should be built to LRT specs. With as wide as Burlington is, it would make no sense to not take advantage of it if you ever want to go past NKC. It's bad enough the system is a mixed traffic tram line on Main Street which will someday have to be drastically upgraded.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

All I want is for them to make the KU med line for streetcar and not busses. That's all I ask.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The NorthRail #kcstreetcar Open House is tonight at the NKC YMCA. Come on by to learn about the preferred route alternatives & connections to the downtown line. Can’t make it? All info will be available on our website.
https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 7366212608

ImageImage
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I hope they don't go with Swift. It may be appear better to have streetcar immediately in front of businsses and homes but really slows down wider aspirations to push the SC further north... I'll be sure to post an online comment if allowed. I didn't know about this meeting.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Why would they put a stop on the east side of 3rd & Grand? The River Market already has more stops than necessary.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

7 stops in NKC seems excessive. 5 is probably too many.

The couplet makes sense but no need to add a stop southbound on 3rd when one exists just past Grand.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Thanks for posting. The idea of it going down Swift I kind of like. Would really help build up & spur development on Swift from Amor Rd south for sure. There used to be a a few more bars and places to eat that kind of dried up. With the big new Apartment there at 18th Ave and the new residential being planned North of Armor into the existing residential at the North end of Swift it really makes sense.

Plus I think they have enough land and room to have the SC go further North up N. OAK like they showed. Maybe even create some kind of transit center with commuter options there at the North end where Burling forks off to N. Oak. Heck maybe even create an "express" line that runs down Burlington into a Downtown into a place where you could make connection to existing street car. Almost like a tram that just goes back & forth runs maybe every 10mins or so. IDK, just ideas but they have space to work with for sure however they want to do it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Going down Swift keeps it a local "tram" and it's not likely to ever be extended any further north.

Going down Burlington and create an opportunity to transition into a higher level of actual mass transit meaning people will actually use it for commuting and to get to places like KCI (as long as it maintains a dedicated RoW to the north). Burlington also seems like it's more of a wide open canvas to build up the corridor with high density residential.

Either way works, but whichever is chosen will direct the future of "rail" in KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:44 am Why would they put a stop on the east side of 3rd & Grand? The River Market already has more stops than necessary.
Because it would sour at 5th and grand right? So it serves Columbus park going north. It's not like it would stop at 3rd and grand and 3rd and cherry

Edit you prob meant that 2nd option which yeah doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't even accurate as that stop at grand won't be along 3rd anymore.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Forgive my potential ignorance but it appears North Rail has been well received in recent years. What I haven't seen is a plan to actually execute once the study is completed. What comes next and how long until if/when we actually see the streetcar cross the river? I'm assuming a vote will come at some point? Just a general sense of timeline and hopefully before 2030.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:44 am Why would they put a stop on the east side of 3rd & Grand? The River Market already has more stops than necessary.
Because it would sour at 5th and grand right? So it serves Columbus park going north. It's not like it would stop at 3rd and grand and 3rd and cherry

Edit you prob meant that 2nd option which yeah doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't even accurate as that stop at grand won't be along 3rd anymore.
The RM stop relocation under the rf extension was axed
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:31 pm Forgive my potential ignorance but it appears North Rail has been well received in recent years. What I haven't seen is a plan to actually execute once the study is completed. What comes next and how long until if/when we actually see the streetcar cross the river? I'm assuming a vote will come at some point? Just a general sense of timeline and hopefully before 2030.
NKC already has the mechanism in place for a TDD, it just needs to be activated, so a funding vote for the municipality isn’t necessary. Identifying the rest of the funding will be the next avenue I imagine
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 pm

When? It's still on all the documents on the site.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:40 pm
trexel94 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:31 pm Forgive my potential ignorance but it appears North Rail has been well received in recent years. What I haven't seen is a plan to actually execute once the study is completed. What comes next and how long until if/when we actually see the streetcar cross the river? I'm assuming a vote will come at some point? Just a general sense of timeline and hopefully before 2030.
NKC already has the mechanism in place for a TDD, it just needs to be activated, so a funding vote for the municipality isn’t necessary. Identifying the rest of the funding will be the next avenue I imagine
They dissolved it in 2014
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm
Huh, never saw anything about that. It’s been mentioned after 2014 if I’m not mistaken.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm
Huh, never saw anything about that. It’s been mentioned after 2014 if I’m not mistaken.
Resolution can be found online
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:57 pm

Cut in VE. Maybe mentioned at Port KC meeting but yea it’s gone
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

too hard to put it on the site and communicate it out I guess.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:10 pm
Was there any advantage to moving it in the first place?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:23 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Was there any advantage to moving it in the first place?
doubled sided for TO/From RF trips