Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:35 am Is it just me, or do I think that any new Royals should not be domed, right? Adds a lot of cost, complexity, etc. We have 90+ games, temperate weather and it blocks the views.
I think majority agree with you. I'm very much for open-air, not covered stadium for our market.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

I agree no dome.
But a smaller boutique urban stadium with a retractable roof like Toronto would be optimal IMO.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Goonies wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:10 pm Globe Life Park just looks like something that in 25 years will be torn down
It's Texas, so that's probably accurate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd be for Kauffman 2.0 having the ability to make a retractable roof in Phase 2 if the core building could be built to support it but not at all a top 10 need for a new stadium.

Funny talking about Globe Life given they moved out of the old Ranger stadium after ~25 years.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

After alot of new research & thought, I've come fully around on the Jail site for my preferred stadium location. I think it's by far the best option. It's the *only spot* that can simultaneously weave P&L, the south loop cap & future EV spinoff development together. Basically, I think this site can get everyone a good chunk of what they want. I really hope they're considering this spot.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I've always thought that with the Royals fan base being so dispersed (2 to 6 hours away) a retractable roof would be desired. If someone in Wichita or Omaha wants to make a family weekend of a trip to KC, having the assurance that the game won't be rained out would be welcoming and would probably drive more ticket sales.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:27 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm I'd be for Kauffman 2.0 having the ability to make a retractable roof in Phase 2 if the core building could be built to support it but not at all a top 10 need for a new stadium.

Funny talking about Globe Life given they moved out of the old Ranger stadium after ~25 years.
It would be hard to imagine a new stadium without fountains that's for sure I don't know how they will be able to move away from Crown Vision either those are 2 iconic things about the Royals.
I wouldn’t doubt both those elements are brought into the new stadium regardless of budget
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The main reason they may not go hardcore fountains or crown vision is cost. They have that stuff at Kauffman right now because all the entertainment has to be completely within the stadium. But with spin-off entertainment outside the stadium, there isn’t really as much of a need to do things like make crown vision or 59 fountains. Perhaps they keep some fountain, but if they wanna keep the cost manageable so they can build spin-off or speed up the timetable, that’s the way to go.

My guess is nobody in the end will care too much about losing that stuff if the surroundings of the stadium are stellar.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:15 am The main reason they may not go hardcore fountains or crown vision is cost. They have that stuff at Kauffman right now because all the entertainment has to be completely within the stadium. But with spin-off entertainment outside the stadium, there isn’t really as much of a need to do things like make crown vision or 59 fountains. Perhaps they keep some fountain, but if they wanna keep the cost manageable so they can build spin-off or speed up the timetable, that’s the way to go.

My guess is nobody in the end will care too much about losing that stuff if the surroundings of the stadium are stellar.
You underestimate the metro citizenry and their ability to hold onto everything. A royals stadium without fountains would be blasphemy in their book
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The new stadium better have a nice fountain system in the outfield. That's culturally part of the Royals. If they can't keep some of the basic things that make the Royals and their stadium "kansas city", then just don't do it. I still fear they will build a super cheap downtown stadium that looks a minor league park or something. Please don't do that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah has to have fountains.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
What does the scoreboard have to do with being downtown? A massive scoreboard will be a relatively small part of the budget. All new and re-modeled stadiums have massive scoreboards now.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm I’m sure we’ll keep alot of the fountains. Mainly I don’t think you’re getting a big scoreboard, “Little K”, etc…mostly due to cost. And no need for that sort of thing when you’re downtown.
What does the scoreboard have to do with being downtown? A massive scoreboard will be a relatively small part of the budget. All new and re-modeled stadiums have massive scoreboards now.
Uh you don’t need a scoreboard the size of the K at the new stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just looked it up. I didn't realize Kauffman's scoreboard was still the largest by far. I tend to agree though. It doesn't have to be "that" big.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

But grid is right the scoreboard isn't breaking the budget. That said that's a signature of Kauffman now I don't think the same thing is needed at a new stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm But grid is right the scoreboard isn't breaking the budget. That said that's a signature of Kauffman now I don't think the same thing is needed at a new stadium.
I think building the same scoreboard would make the new stadium look cheesy and dumb. It won't fit with a more urban stadium which is probably what AlkaliAxel is thinking. It can and likely will be a large one, but it doesn't have to be the same shape etc. I'm sure they can design new scoreboard using the crown theme without building another monstrosity scoreboard that overpowers the stadium.

The fountains on the other hand just have to be part of the new stadium. They don't have to be the same as Kauffman, but you have to incorporate fountains into the stadium. And I'm not talking about tossing a fountain onto the side of the stadium just to say they did something like the new KCI terminal is doing. I mean an impressive fountain incorporated into the outfield somehow.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm But grid is right the scoreboard isn't breaking the budget. That said that's a signature of Kauffman now I don't think the same thing is needed at a new stadium.
Tbh with you as long as we get the jail site, especially with highrise curling the highway (between stadium & the highway) then I could care less what they do with stadium. I just didn't want stuff like build a giant scoreboard to slow down construction time.

If we land the jail site and get that high rise up towards the highway…then that means you’d be seeing high-rise from literally all angles. Drooling thinking about it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm
I think building the same scoreboard would make the new stadium look cheesy and dumb. It won't fit with a more urban stadium which is probably what AlkaliAxel is thinking. It can and likely will be a large one, but it doesn't have to be the same shape etc. I'm sure they can design new scoreboard using the crown theme without building another monstrosity scoreboard that overpowers the stadium.

The fountains on the other hand just have to be part of the new stadium. They don't have to be the same as Kauffman, but you have to incorporate fountains into the stadium. And I'm not talking about tossing a fountain onto the side of the stadium just to say they did something like the new KCI terminal is doing. I mean an impressive fountain incorporated into the outfield somehow.
Agreed. Leave crownvision behind..

And kci main art piece at the center of the airport is an homage to fountains. It doesn't have to be wet to reflect our city of fountains history
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm

Agreed. Leave crownvision behind..

And kci main art piece at the center of the airport is an homage to fountains. It doesn't have to be wet to reflect our city of fountains history
The inside art is fine, I just don't think anybody will even see the fountain placed in the side courtyard. Maybe it will be more integrated than I'm thinking.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.