World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by earthling »

Would hope they didn't commit to this to the WC committee.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

No way streetcar goes to TSC. Makes very little sense, especially if Royals move DT. Have to be some Amtrak rail agreement to run on freight lines along with city covering switching build costs because no line runs directly there. They have to have something in mind. Can’t imagine they would just pull it out of thin air.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:11 pm No way streetcar goes to TSC. Makes very little sense, especially if Royals move DT. Have to be some Amtrak rail agreement to run on freight lines along with city covering switching build costs because no line runs directly there. They have to have something in mind. Can’t imagine they would just pull it out of thin air.
Doesn’t that old Rock Island row still exist going NW from the stadiums? It has it since been dismantled and sold off?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:17 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:11 pm No way streetcar goes to TSC. Makes very little sense, especially if Royals move DT. Have to be some Amtrak rail agreement to run on freight lines along with city covering switching build costs because no line runs directly there. They have to have something in mind. Can’t imagine they would just pull it out of thin air.
Doesn’t that old Rock Island row still exist going NW from the stadiums? It has it since been dismantled and sold off?
It does, which makes me think they are talking light rail and not street car. You can get to the stadiums from downtown on a train and never touch the street. That would be the fastest and lowest cost. My understanding is that the KC Rail Terminal (sic) that manages the already in-use portion will not allocate track time to light rail. I may be way off base.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:51 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:17 pm
It does, which makes me think they are talking light rail and not street car. You can get to the stadiums from downtown on a train and never touch the street. That would be the fastest and lowest cost. My understanding is that the KC Rail Terminal (sic) that manages the already in-use portion will not allocate track time to light rail. I may be way off base.
Is the issue where it ties into the main EW lines in regards to a union station connection? I could see the RR not wanting to give any leniency on that
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Even if you use existing rail you still have to bus them from rail station to stadium. Much more efficient to have many charter shuttle routes to many hubs rather than one line to one hub. Other cities that have stadium away from the hotspots will also likely use shuttle/buses to various event hotspots, even if they have existing decent transit.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:34 pm Even if you use existing rail you still have to bus them from rail station to stadium. Much more efficient to have many charter shuttle routes to many hubs rather than one line to one hub. Other cities that have stadium away from the hotspots will also likely use shuttle/buses to various event hotspots, even if they have existing decent transit.
You could do both, direct LRT or CRT between something like US to stadiums, in conjunction with charters from the likes of Plaza, Airport/Airport hotels, OP convention center type areas. I just doubt any viable rail transit could be built and functioning between now and then.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^But even 'doing both' still means a transfer from train station, not really worth it even if timeline doable.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm ^But even 'doing both' still means a transfer from train station, not really worth it even if timeline doable.
I’m confused as to where the transfer is? If people are embarking on a mode of transit, wether by shuttle or Rail, how is there an extra step? The stadium rail stop would likely only be >700 feet. The congregation point on the starting end is either a charter bus point, or Union Station.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Sorry I read too quickly, I meant if using existing freight rail lines and could be met within timeframe there would still need to be a transfer. Pursuing a new line direct to stadium not very realistic by then, shouldn't even be discussed very seriously.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:38 pm ^Sorry I read too quickly, I meant if using existing freight rail lines and could be met within timeframe there would still need to be a transfer. Pursuing a new line direct to stadium not very realistic by then, shouldn't even be discussed very seriously.
Gotcha, but i agree with ya, it doesn’t make sense to go for that, but if they try to then definitely they should go with the path of least resistance
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I agree that they’re not gonna have streetcar by 2026.

But holy hell. With the exception of Dia Wall, that whole panel was literally the “my brain is stuck in the 1990s KC” convention. All of them you can tell are just seething at the prospect of boosting downtown or transit for the World Cup. Still pushing the “nobody wants more streetcar!!” bullshit.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:38 pm ^Sorry I read too quickly, I meant if using existing freight rail lines and could be met within timeframe there would still need to be a transfer. Pursuing a new line direct to stadium not very realistic by then, shouldn't even be discussed very seriously.
Not sure I understand where the transfer would have to happen.

I would assume you would board at US (one of the fan fest sites) and deboard at the stadium. It's about 220 yard walk from the tracks to the stadium gates.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm I've been to Denver twice this year already. Their downtown has the same amount of foot traffic as KC's.

16th St Mall gets literally the same amount of foot traffic as The Plaza

The rest of their downtown has the same foot traffic as ours. Also, it smells like piss everywhere you walk in Denver.

We maybe have more blight in some parts, but our best areas are right up there with their best.

Kevin Collison pretty much backs up my observations on Denver
https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... yp8qe0RA7g
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:57 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:34 pm Even if you use existing rail you still have to bus them from rail station to stadium. Much more efficient to have many charter shuttle routes to many hubs rather than one line to one hub. Other cities that have stadium away from the hotspots will also likely use shuttle/buses to various event hotspots, even if they have existing decent transit.
You could do both, direct LRT or CRT between something like US to stadiums, in conjunction with charters from the likes of Plaza, Airport/Airport hotels, OP convention center type areas. I just doubt any viable rail transit could be built and functioning between now and then.
I think everybody knows that any kind of rail would be difficult to get run out there especially with long term questions on tenants.
I am just confused as to why both of them would still be talking about it or evaluating it. Is this just pie in the sky thinking? Or are they at least going to make a run and see what it would take?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it's dumb to keep mentioning and or they are being misquoted.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:21 pm A wonderful article by opinon writer Conor Sen at Bloomberg:

He says that KC may become the next boom-town given its relatively low housing costs and it's cache growing with this WC2026 announcement. He likens it to Atlanta winning the 1996 Olympics and catalyzing them the next decades after.

"The World Cup's Biggest Winner May Be Kansas City"
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ium=social
Great article.

I suspect there will be a major amount of development in the next four years and the decade following.

I look forward to the Plaza resurrecting itself from its dump status. Also anticipate some big hotel announcements on the way.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah it's time to either put out a plan or stfu.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Fifa is considering expanding the amount of games to 104 from 80. Would allow them to back to the traditional four team groups.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Did I read somewhere KC could see up to 7 games?