Price Mgmt Project at 31st and Main

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Price Mgmt Project at 31st and Main

Post by Eon Blue »

If that footprint is to be trusted, they also want to demo the next three buildings north of the corner cluster and displace Union Hill Animal Hospital, Ambrosi Bros. Cutlery, and Museo.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Nobody wants faux facades (its a big reason why Chicago is so boring aesthetically) the buildings are salvageable and pleasant therefore should be included into whatever project comes into fruition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:15 pm Nobody wants faux facades (its a big reason why Chicago is so boring aesthetically) the buildings are salvageable and pleasant therefore should be included into whatever project comes into fruition.
Really only the corner building is unique. Everything else is meh
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:47 pm
daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:15 pm Nobody wants faux facades (its a big reason why Chicago is so boring aesthetically) the buildings are salvageable and pleasant therefore should be included into whatever project comes into fruition.
Really only the corner building is unique. Everything else is meh
True and saving only that one building could still be a compromise but the Museo building at 3021 Main is an attractive structure as well and should totally be saved.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

I don't care about the buildings. If they had a real and serious plan to go 4-5 floors of residential with first floor retail I'd say go. But the last thing we need is some suburban douches from witchiterr sitting on this high profile corner for decades. Tax those losers out the eye until they beg to build something.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Karambit25 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:00 pm I don't care about the buildings. If they had a real and serious plan to go 4-5 floors of residential with first floor retail I'd say go. But the last thing we need is some suburban douches from witchiterr sitting on this high profile corner for decades. Tax those losers out the eye until they beg to build something.
This is basically exactly where I’m at
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Karambit25 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:00 pm I don't care about the buildings. If they had a real and serious plan to go 4-5 floors of residential with first floor retail I'd say go. But the last thing we need is some suburban douches from witchiterr sitting on this high profile corner for decades. Tax those losers out the eye until they beg to build something.
This. There is such a high chance of them tearing down that block and then it sitting empty for a decade or more. Seems to be pretty common in KC, especially with local developers. Why can't these developers find an empty lot or parking lot or something to build on?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's likely the only reason Price Mgmt. owns those parcels is because they picked them up at a bankruptcy sale for almost nothing. They can afford to sit on that land for a long time. Tearing the buildings down and sitting on cleared parcels will also reduce the taxes most likely.

The only way to get rid of developers that do this is for the public to show up at all city meetings having anything to do with their projects in significant numbers and oppose everything they propose, and every incentive they ask for. When Price et al get the message, they will either quit doing this or not continue to do projects in KCMO.

We can see what a few annoying residents can do to stop projects.

I don't support this being done to all developers, and I oppose many of the actions that have been taken to stop reasonable developments. However, there are a few situations where I would support doing this type of thing and Price Mgmt. would be among them.

That being said, this is an instance where Historic Kansas City could have prevented this by being proactive. HKC could have also gone to that bankruptcy sale and purchased those buildings and put a preservation easement on them. This has been going on for decades. Still, HKC has not changed tactics and become proactive. As it stands now, HKC is always reactive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eon Blue wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am If that footprint is to be trusted, they also want to demo the next three buildings north of the corner cluster and displace Union Hill Animal Hospital, Ambrosi Bros. Cutlery, and Museo.
I have a feeling those won't be the only buildings to be demolished either. I'll be Price has their eyes on buying these buildings too and demolishing them as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0722307 ... 84!8i8192
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

3030 Walnut St (which had been fenced off separately from the buildings on Main) was demolished last week.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

swid wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 am 3030 Walnut St (which had been fenced off separately from the buildings on Main) was demolished last week.
Who do we need to get the attention of to stop them from tearing anymore down?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I’ve sent a contact message directly to price brothers on their website. Not sure how much it’ll do, but if people make enough noise about this shit then maybe we can maintain what sliver of historic architecture still exists in our city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:07 pm I’ve sent a contact message directly to price brothers on their website. Not sure how much it’ll do, but if people make enough noise about this shit then maybe we can maintain what sliver of historic architecture still exists in our city.
I think the price brothers with a website is different one but i am a little confused. The family seperated.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

Eon Blue wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am If that footprint is to be trusted, they also want to demo the next three buildings north of the corner cluster and displace Union Hill Animal Hospital, Ambrosi Bros. Cutlery, and Museo.
It looks like Price already owns the animal hospital's building, but Ambrosi and Museo own their own buildings. I wonder if HKC or somebody might have a word with them about applying for their own historic designations.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Believe it would have to be a local designation to stall demolition.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like Doug updated his rendering

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How serious is this project? This just seems like vaporware.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:58 pm Looks like Doug updated his rendering

Boy that would be nice, but it would need a huge variance for height. The Main Overlay limits it to 5 floors. What's shown is 31 floors, so a variance of 26 floors is needed + support from NIMBYs. I doubt this is any more than a pure ambitious concept.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

5 floors on Main street? WTF.