A photo of Hurst Sporting Goods Wall Mural ?

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

A photo of Hurst Sporting Goods Wall Mural ?

Post by KC1963 »

For a very long time there was this great mural on the building of Hurst Sporting Goods. The mural was in black and white as a I recall and was of a bodybuilder lifting weights. On it the words "Don't forget to work out" were also placed. The mural was visible as one headed south on Main St from 12th to 14th.

If anyone has a good photo of this I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Re: A photo of Hurst Sporting Goods Wall Mural ?

Post by Karambit25 »

KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

That's part of it for sure. For some reason I recall it being on the brick and much larger. Thank you for finding this.
Last edited by KC1963 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

BTW - the wife and son came to a bad end in 2014.

https://fox4kc.com/news/neighbors-victi ... ge-jaguar/
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

KC1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:29 pm That's part of it for sure. For some reason I recall it being on the brick and much larger. Thank you for finding this.
Did you click on the link above the photo?
You can blow up the photo and see it pretty clearly.
You can't see the back of it tho.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

I did. My memory isn't reliable. I thought it was painted on the brick and much larger. The photo you posted is the best I have so far and I've been looking for 3+ years. Thank you.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

I did. My memory isn't reliable. I thought it was painted on the brick and much larger. The photo you posted is the best I have so far and I've been looking for 3+ years. Thank you.

My memory is so bad I thought that the Time News was part of Hurst but seeing them now I recall they were different entities with different inventories.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

downgrade
ImageDOWNGRADE 13 MAIN by vegas2kc, on Flickr
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

Ugh... it's all going to look like a strip mall or parking lot one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUE0aAI5o8
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No reasons those facades could not have been saved and incorporated. I know we complain about Copaken but in the Towne Pavillion they saved the Jenkins facade, Bonfils facade, and the entire Boley and Harzfeld's.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

KC1963 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:46 am Ugh... it's all going to look like a strip mall or parking lot one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUE0aAI5o8
KC1963 I'm 3 years older then you. Thanks for posting that. It made my heart smile. I also have great memories of the old downtown I grew up in. Walked around downtown in 2001 shooting video of it before it was all gone and my memory slipped not recalling what it was.
Getting older and losing what we once had is hard but progress must happen.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:02 pm No reasons those facades could not have been saved and incorporated. I know we complain about Copaken but in the Towne Pavillion they saved the Jenkins facade, Bonfils facade, and the entire Boley and Harzfeld's.
Correct me if I am wrong.... Is this the block that was leveled and a multi-story below-ground garage constructed? Its been soo long that I don't remember.

If not, they absolutely should have kept the buildings (assuming they were structurally sound). They could have served have been an initial wave of residential completed pre-recession.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, there is a garage under the north part of the block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0976045 ... 312!8i6656
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The biggest demolition on that block for P&L was this, the Robert Keith Furniture And Carpet Company building, AKA the TWA training building. Perfectly good building on a great intersection, demolished for something 1/8th the height. Progress!

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Shame that couldn’t have been turned into residential lofts
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Prior to Cordish coming into the picture, that building was owned by developers, Lou Trigg and Roger Buford, who planned on converting it into residential lofts. Buford had extensive experience converting old buildings into lofts. The City negotiated to buy the building when assembling the blocks for the P&L District.

https://kchistory.org/index/three-behi ... ffset%5D=2

https://kchistory.org/index/riverfront ... ffset%5D=0
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:25 am The biggest demolition on that block for P&L was this, the Robert Keith Furniture And Carpet Company building, AKA the TWA training building. Perfectly good building on a great intersection, demolished for something 1/8th the height. Progress!
Demolished non-historical buildings in bad shape to accommodate a large underground parking structure and future 16+ story building.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Robert Keith/TWA building was already going to be renovated until the P&L District got approved. One wouldn't have needed that corner of the block either to create the 16-story building. It could have been built over the east half of the block.

Had that building remained, there was still enough of a footprint remaining on the bloc to create underground parking garages. Some parts of the block don't even have garage space now. The other thing that could have been done for additional parking was to build some underground parking on the blocks bounded by Grand, Main, 14th and Truman. Those blocks were completely cleared, so it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

One doesn't have to tear down every building in sight to create an entertainment district, or revive a downtown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:44 am The Robert Keith/TWA building was already going to be renovated until the P&L District got approved. One wouldn't have needed that corner of the block either to create the 16-story building. It could have been built over the east half of the block.

Had that building remained, there was still enough of a footprint remaining on the bloc to create underground parking garages. Some parts of the block don't even have garage space now. The other thing that could have been done for additional parking was to build some underground parking on the blocks bounded by Grand, Main, 14th and Truman. Those blocks were completely cleared, so it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

One doesn't have to tear down every building in sight to create an entertainment district, or revive a downtown.
Main Street theatre. Midland theater. Midland office building. Chambers lofts. President.

Buildings they didn’t demo.

Had they not demolished this building, the parking garage wouldn’t have worked. The parking garage was critical to saving the Hilton president and ensuring it’s success.

Tough decisions needed to be made and it wasn’t made without debate and considering all options.