Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

Post by alejandro46 »

They really trying to do Sharice dirty. Tbh I didn't really like her that much when she was campaigning but she has proven to be a good Congresswoman and pretty moderate. Adkins was campaigning while collecting a Cerner paycheck as some VP who did nothing. (allegedly, I have no first hand knowledge of this).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:17 pm They really trying to do Sharice dirty. Tbh I didn't really like her that much when she was campaigning but she has proven to be a good Congresswoman and pretty moderate. Adkins was campaigning while collecting a Cerner paycheck as some VP who did nothing. (allegedly, I have no first hand knowledge of this).
Honestly outside of her stance on firearm ownership I am fairly supportive. She’s incredibly engaged with constituents, and even responded to a request while I was stationed abroad. I’d vote for her
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Regarding Missouri politics, Danforth is one of a group seeking an independent to support in the coming senate race in order to derail Greiten's bid. Glad to see Danforth doing something reasonable.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics ... index.html

Doesn't make up for his part in seating Clarence Thomas, though.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:30 am In my wildest dreams I would have never imagined Kansas as being the area being a little more Liberal/Progressive and Missouri basically turning into Alabama and Kentucky but here we are. Missouri is going to neglect its urban centers forever, Springfield/Branson will be the political powerhouse of the state. Once everything else is overturned should KC consider joining Kansas? I know it will never happen but I'm liking Kansas a lot more then Missouri.
Stop being such a sensationalist. For real. The world isn't suddenly crumbling around you. The sky isn't falling. It's OK to breathe a little.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I work in Missouri politics and don't find the post sensational. Missouri is a failed state and an absolute albatross.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

chingon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:09 pm I work in Missouri politics and don't find the post sensational. Missouri is a failed state and an absolute albatross.
Yep. If there's a way to get it done I'd support getting KC into KS.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The City is not going to join Kansas. The state legislature would have to approve it, and that's not going to happen. Legislators are not going to give up the tax revenue.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:35 am The City is not going to join Kansas. The state legislature would have to approve it, and that's not going to happen. Legislators are not going to give up the tax revenue.
Yes, unfortunately.

"We hate you...but oh wait we need your money!"
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

I will never understand people that complain about where they live. You are free to move where ever you want.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Also, more progressive people are always "I'm moving out of this backwards red state". That not going to help anyone. We need you to stay and vote. Conservatives are counting on you leaving. That's how they will keep control of the presidency and senate. There are more rural states than urban.

Stay and fight.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:32 am Also, more progressive people are always "I'm moving out of this backwards red state". That not going to help anyone. We need you to stay and vote. Conservatives are counting on you leaving. That's how they will keep control of the presidency and senate. There are more rural states than urban.

Stay and fight.
The logic is that there’s alot better shot to flip Kansas in the coming years, so if we pooled all our resources and people behind KS we could actually make a difference.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm
chingon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:09 pm I work in Missouri politics and don't find the post sensational. Missouri is a failed state and an absolute albatross.
Of course you would, you're a johnny-come-lately kansas homer.
Kansas has been trying to suck Missouri's balls dry since it became a state. :lol:
#libtardsbedroolin

<bahua>
This account has been deactivated. If the owner of this account can prove they can join the conversation without being abusive, I don't give a shit.
</bahua>
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Karambit25 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm
Of course you would, you're a johnny-come-lately kansas homer.
Kansas has been trying to suck Missouri's balls dry since it became a state. :lol:
#libtardsbedroolin
Aside from the fact it would end this stupid border war for good, it would also give us a progressive state. That's not happenin with MO
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What the hell happened to Missouri? It used to be a moderate, somewhat sensible state. Was even a swing state at one time.

Now it's embarrassing. Missouri is trying hard to be the next MS, LA, AL etc. or even pass those states.

Makes sense thought when I look at my social media feeds. I'm used to rural MO being super conservative and recently have joined into the Trump cult stuff. But now even people in suburban KC and StL seem to have gone pretty far to the right

Never thought MO would displace KS as the joke of the midwest, but it has and it's only getting worse. KS is becoming more urban with JoCo etc while I'm not even sure what MO is doing anymore.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Personally, I think most Missourians are sensible, just the two parties have gone down their own paths and have resulted in an ideological split here that has resulted in Missouri apparently moving further right. This is a state that overturned the Right to Work rule, passed Medicaid expansion, re-elected Nicole Galloway auditor, and passed (before overturning) a non-partisan redistricting measure all within the past 4 years.

Missouri and Kansas have voted nearly identically in the past several presidential elections (save 2008 when Missouri narrowly voted for McCain).

Abortion is one of the issues that's a touchy subject for outstate, and even suburban, Republicans/Conservatives. Being "pro-life" has been a part of the platform for a while now and I think that's really the only reason the state has voted Republican instead of more Democratic despite Democrats here being relatively moderate on issues whereas in a state like Illinois, things are generally more liberal thanks to Chicago.

I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, but my observations make me believe that if voters all across the state looked beyond the abortion issue, then we'd be very much alike ideologically. Most Missourians seem to back Unions, want good healthcare, lower taxes, maintained infrastructure, honest/trustworthy leaders, and security (jobs, safety, and education). Abortion, in my view, is the outlier that starts splitting people along partisan lines. Guns used to be, and still are for the most part, but not quite like abortion is.

If Kansas City somehow managed to become part of Kansas, it's likely the state of Kansas would get more purple, but likely not enough so to not have the same policies being looked at and pursued as Missouri did and has. Of Missouri's two big cities, secession from Missouri to a neighboring state would only really benefit St. Louis City and County.

It's too early to tell what will happen here as a result of this. I seriously doubt the sky will fall and I doubt that the goods times will cease. We just got to keep on truckin'. If we let our minds fall into a rut, so will the community and that'll have a far worse impact on the future than you might expect.

For now, though, things could be rough as new rules set in. So, we need to keep our heads held high, push on, and unite behind common goals.

Sidenote: This is the first time I'm commenting on this issue. I was raised in a family where both sides of the argument have been said in great detail (especially in the past two days). I understand both sides of the argument and I fall into the category of, "I'm a guy. I cannot say anything in this case because of how I was raised and it's personally none of my business what people want to do, in private and in consultation with their doctor and family".
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:09 pmit's personally none of my business what people want to do, in private and in consultation with their doctor and family".
Quote of the decade.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:33 pm But now even people in suburban KC and StL seem to have gone pretty far to the right
That's what happens when you have a leftist local government as terrible as the one KCMO currently has. And, that includes the Jackson County Prosecutor. People aren't exactly happy with their current government officials. So they're seeking change.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:33 pm What the hell happened to Missouri? It used to be a moderate, somewhat sensible state. Was even a swing state at one time.

Now it's embarrassing. Missouri is trying hard to be the next MS, LA, AL etc. or even pass those states.

Makes sense thought when I look at my social media feeds. I'm used to rural MO being super conservative and recently have joined into the Trump cult stuff. But now even people in suburban KC and StL seem to have gone pretty far to the right

Never thought MO would displace KS as the joke of the midwest, but it has and it's only getting worse. KS is becoming more urban with JoCo etc while I'm not even sure what MO is doing anymore.
Missouri's shift has nothing to do with KC or STL.
Kansas's does have mostly do with KC, though.

Missouri's shift has everything to do with the rural area's being once moderate, but shifting heavily to the right since about 2000. It really sped up into hyper-drive during Trump 2016.

Look at the difference in how red the the rural's are on the map in 2000 versus how they red they are in 2020.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Unit ... n_Missouri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Unit ... n_Missouri

Kansas is the exact opposite story. There are no more voters the GOP can squeeze out of rural KS. That well ran dry in 2016. What they have remaining in rural KS is all they've got left to cling to - and it's dying out. Now, at the same time, eastern KS is growing really fast and absorbing tons of liberal voters. A big reason for that is KC. So as the rural GOP voters in KS rapidly decline at the same rate the urban liberals grow rapidly in KS...state turns more blue.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Karambit25 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:47 pm None of you people must be from here. Kansas City is uniquely "Missouri."
No one born in this city would ever consider being in Kansas.

There is nothing "kansas" about this city. The city had the name before Kansas was a state.
All of our culture, food, music, slang and history is unique to the city (Missouri) side.

This thread is a stupid political whining party. Missouri is no more conservative than Kansas.
The major cities of STL and KC have declined in population and more people in the suburbs reject the "new" Democrat party that they have nothing in common with any longer.

Blame the idiots running the Democrat Party if you want to blame someone.
Leaving politics out of it one could question your statement about the city's name. From Wiki:
"In 1850, the landing area was incorporated as the Town of Kansas.[11] By that time, the Town of Kansas, Westport, and nearby Independence, had become critical points in the westward expansion of the United States. Three major trails – the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon – all passed through Jackson County.

On February 22, 1853, the City of Kansas was created with a newly elected mayor. It had an area of 0.70 square miles (1.8 km2) and a population of 2,500. The boundary lines at that time extended from the middle of the Missouri River south to what is now Ninth Street, and from Bluff Street on the west to a point between Holmes Road and Charlotte Street on the east."
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:12 am
GRID wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:33 pm What the hell happened to Missouri? It used to be a moderate, somewhat sensible state. Was even a swing state at one time.

Missouri's shift has nothing to do with KC or STL.
Kansas's does have mostly do with KC, though.

Missouri's shift has everything to do with the rural area's being once moderate, but shifting heavily to the right since about 2000. It really sped up into hyper-drive during Trump 2016.

Look at the difference in how red the the rural's are on the map in 2000 versus how they red they are in 2020.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Unit ... n_Missouri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Unit ... n_Missouri

Kansas is the exact opposite story. There are no more voters the GOP can squeeze out of rural KS. That well ran dry in 2016. What they have remaining in rural KS is all they've got left to cling to - and it's dying out. Now, at the same time, eastern KS is growing really fast and absorbing tons of liberal voters. A big reason for that is KC. So as the rural GOP voters in KS rapidly decline at the same rate the urban liberals grow rapidly in KS...state turns more blue.
That's basically what I said. KS is becoming more urban and therefore more blue. Despite what people imagine, most people in KS live in metro areas. KS has a small rural population.

MO has a very large rural population though and it's always been very red. I still think that the suburbs around KC and StL are wack or something. They vote in all the morons that pass all these far right laws in MO. Your links prove that. The suburban counties around KC and StL have swung from purple to red.