Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:15 pm Anyone else concerned a stadium built that quickly would end up cheap and look like a Butler Manufacturing building with low grade bleachers? A little more acceptable if entirely privately financed, maybe.
36 months is plenty of time. Allegiant Stadium was done in 31 months.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:01 pm Before KCPowerCat comments that this is TLDR, I'll get back on topic.

Downtown baseball coming 2026! ;)
How certain???
I'm not certain about anything these days but that's a goal that has been set. It is ambitious.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It makes sense. If you were gonna get done around 2027 anyway, you might as well push it up to show off your new stadium to the world for WC2026. Why wait till 2027 then and miss the biggest showcase ever.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 pm What days of the week were you in STL? What area are you talking about? Did you visit the area near the baseball stadium? Overall, downtown KC is far better in almost every way than downtown STL. The only "happening" area in downtown STL is the ballpark and the area next to it called Ballpark Village.
Saturday-Tuesday. Stayed by the arch, walked all over downtown. The Cards weren't in town so I didn't exactly see Ballpark Village at its peak but "The only "happening" area in downtown STL is the ballpark and the area next to it called Ballpark Village" is exactly the point. Downtown is more than P&L or Ballpark Village. Whether those two places are successful or not is only a small part of whether those downtowns as a whole are successful or not. I have no interest in replicating anything that STL is currently doing in its downtown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:15 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 pm What days of the week were you in STL? What area are you talking about? Did you visit the area near the baseball stadium? Overall, downtown KC is far better in almost every way than downtown STL. The only "happening" area in downtown STL is the ballpark and the area next to it called Ballpark Village.
Saturday-Tuesday. Stayed by the arch, walked all over downtown. The Cards weren't in town so I didn't exactly see Ballpark Village at its peak but "The only "happening" area in downtown STL is the ballpark and the area next to it called Ballpark Village" is exactly the point. Downtown is more than P&L or Ballpark Village. Whether those two places are successful or not is only a small part of whether those downtowns as a whole are successful or not. I have no interest in replicating anything that STL is currently doing in its downtown.
This makes no sense. So you're saying the ONLY place downtown with any activity was the area around the ballpark but it's bad? So if STL wants to build a new Arena for the Blues, you'd expect them to place it in some random spot away from ballpark village in hopes it creates a better downtown STL? Wouldn't placing it near or next to the one currently successful area be smarter?

Downtown STL sucks overall compared to KC. No question.

I think we have a better chance of a continuing growth downtown by building from the center out so to speak. Opposed to plopping a stadium somewhere because we're so damn eager to get rid of surface parking lots. A poorly attended stadium that doesn't spur any other economic development but hey, at least we got rid of that parking lot and didn't do what the one success story in downtown STL did! Bad planning.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Is that construction time or time from announcement to when construction is complete?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:40 pm
Is that construction time or time from announcement to when construction is complete?
Construction time.
KCDowntownLoop
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCDowntownLoop »

Just to add my two cents on StL, I have enjoyed the couple of times I've gone to the "new" Busch Stadium, and love the skyline vista from the seats. We pre-gamed in Soulard and took one of the many free shuttles from the cool bars there to the doorstep of the stadium. Next time, might try some Ballpark Village options, but the chill, historic neighborhoods are more my vibe. There are definitely areas of Downtown StL that are more happening than others, but Ballpark Village isn't the only hot spot in the central business district that I've been to. I can't recall the street, but there's an avenue on the north side of Downtown that seemed like miles and miles of happening bars going east to west (it wasn't miles, but it was definitely block after and block). If KC built our stadium in the middle of our Downtown, I could see me pre-gaming at any number of places like River Market, Crossroads, inside the loop, or even Midtown or Westside, and then taking transportation or free bar shuttles to games.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntownLoop wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:49 am Just to add my two cents on StL, I have enjoyed the couple of times I've gone to the "new" Busch Stadium, and love the skyline vista from the seats. We pre-gamed in Soulard and took one of the many free shuttles from the cool bars there to the doorstep of the stadium. Next time, might try some Ballpark Village options, but the chill, historic neighborhoods are more my vibe. There are definitely areas of Downtown StL that are more happening than others, but Ballpark Village isn't the only hot spot in the central business district that I've been to. I can't recall the street, but there's an avenue on the north side of Downtown that seemed like miles and miles of happening bars going east to west (it wasn't miles, but it was definitely block after and block). If KC built our stadium in the middle of our Downtown, I could see me pre-gaming at any number of places like River Market, Crossroads, inside the loop, or even Midtown or Westside, and then taking transportation or free bar shuttles to games.
Washington Ave. think it’s struggled with crime and declining convention bizz. Chris probably knows more
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:33 am
Construction time.
There is a lot of work that has to happen before construction even starts, especially on a project this size would be.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:40 am

Construction time.
There is a lot of work that has to happen before construction even starts, especially on a project this size would be.
Much of that work has started.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't mind him. Just tries to muck up any convo
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:14 am Don't mind him. Just tries to muck up any convo
Huh?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Akp.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:50 am

Construction time.
Once the announcement is made then the serious work starts before construction begins. That is unless the construction drawings are already made up, a contractor is selected, all necessary land acquired, financing in place, construction permits acquired, if TIF or Super TIF or other tax incentives involved has the city council has already approved it, and many other things. Are you expecting construction to start the day following announcement?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm
Once the announcement is made then the serious work starts before construction begins. That is unless the construction drawings are already made up, a contractor is selected, all necessary land acquired, financing in place, construction permits acquired, if TIF or Super TIF or other tax incentives involved has the city council has already approved it, and many other things. Are you expecting construction to start the day following announcement?
Obviously not but this isn’t going to be anything like the new raiders or rangers stadiums. I personally understand the process involved with major projects and agree 2026 is very ambitious. If every single step of the plan goes well, it would still be a big accomplishment to open in 2026.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Obviously not but this isn’t going to be anything like the new raiders or rangers stadiums. I personally understand the process involved with major projects and agree 2026 is very ambitious. If every single step of the plan goes well, it would still be a big accomplishment to open in 2026.
I hope this has more character than the Rangers stadium. General consensus (anecdotal obviously) from my friends in Dallas is that it's fine. generic but at least it's air conditioned. Texas Live is cool and well done there. Lockharts is fire. It's cool you can take food/drink in.

All to say, hoping this stadium has some personality
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

But also the Rangers stadium isn’t downtown at all. We’re going for a completely different fabric and ours might have to be seamless with the surrounding neighborhood.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

freedog wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:48 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm
I hope this has more character than the Rangers stadium. General consensus (anecdotal obviously) from my friends in Dallas is that it's fine. generic but at least it's air conditioned. Texas Live is cool and well done there. Lockharts is fire. It's cool you can take food/drink in.

All to say, hoping this stadium has some personality
Completely agree with that assessment of Globe Life Park. It's probably the ugliest new stadium I've seen in decades. They do have the worlds largest retractable roof and it seems that was priority #1 which forced everything to be designed around it. Looks like the worlds largest machine shed.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Is it just me, or do I think that any new Royals should not be domed, right? Adds a lot of cost, complexity, etc. We have 90+ games, temperate weather and it blocks the views.