Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by KCPowercat »

Especially when the development is supported by city incentives.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:36 pm What’s wrong with just having people walk along the sidewalk?
Nothing at all honestly. Just like there's nothing wrong with walking from point A to B instead of using a scooter. Using a scooter is much more convenient mode of transportation and a hell of a lot more fun!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:58 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:28 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:23 pm All those great new York neighborhoods are because of skywalks!
I’m not saying skybridges make or break neighborhoods. Plenty of arguments on either side. I’d be more supportive of a underground tunnel because it’s got a cool factor but it’s also not as practical.

It’s just a interesting debate weighing tax payers opinions on something that has very little impact on their lives vs the people spending 30k a year on rent and what they want.
It's not a very interesting debate. Spending any amount of money on rent doesn't give you have special treatment. I'd contend the design and aesthetic of a city have huge impacts on citizens.
It's not just about those who spend more having a bigger say. It's about what will convince people to spend that hard earned money. I understand the taxpayers function as a collective group, made up of thousands of very small donors so to speak. I find it interesting how we balance these things because the majority of the public is often uninformed or misinformed.

Permanently shutting down a city street to make a public park flow is a major decision the public should be involved in. It would stand to directly impact them. A skybridge is bad because it's not enjoyable to look at or because it could hurt birds?

Just a interesting (to me, apparently not you) topic to discuss.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love to have the city discussions just not under the background of "these people spend rent so..." Vs. "people won't notice".
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:37 pm Love to have the city discussions just not under the background of "these people spend rent so..." Vs. "people won't notice".
I guess it's people who helped finance the project Vs people who help make the project viable and a success. Can't have one without the other.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The building is going to go up and be via le without a skywalk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:17 pm The building is going to go up and be via le without a skywalk.
yeah never mind.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If cordish really cares they can just tunnel between their projects. Or I guess they could have.

That'd actually bee pretty cool. Cordish only underground.

Anyway, don't care about this at all.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are entrances to buildings and stores from the subway in NYC.

http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/201 ... exits.html

https://untappedcities.com/2014/05/13/c ... y-station/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Asto ... t_3_vc.jpg

Penn Station's underground concourse also has shops.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... course.jpg

The original World Trade Center had an underground mall as well. The new WTC subway station has one as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwinTowersInPh ... _photos_1/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does KC have any tunnels?

Chicago has a pretty extensive set around the loop which is handy between office buildings if you know how to use it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There were old mob tunnels like between Harry's and Kelly's. I can't think of any current public people tunnels.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are two old streetcar tunnels through the bluff aligned with 8th Street from the West Bottoms that are sealed off.

There used to be a tunnel under Baltimore running from the Baltimore Hotel to the Willis Wood Theater (now Lightwell Building block under the street to the Mark Twain Tower). The tunnel was sealed off when after the Willis Wood Theater was destroyed by fire. This tunnel was used during intermissions so that people could leave the theater and cross over to the bar in the Baltimore Hotel. The tunnel was called Highball Alley.

https://kchistory.org/document/baltimor ... 2520tunnel

There is also a tunnel under Pershing Road from the postal facility at Union Station freighthouse to the Old Post Office building (now IRS).

There are also some utility tunnels under the streets of downtown where the steam pipes run from the power station at 2nd and Grand.

It seems to me that there is also a sealed off tunnel running under 10th Street from the Public Library (from when it was First National Bank) to either the Land Bank building (now Hanover Lofts) or the old New England Bank Building (now 21Ten Lofts).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:00 am It seems to me that there is also a sealed off tunnel running under 10th Street from the Public Library (from when it was First National Bank) to either the Land Bank building (now Hanover Lofts) or the old New England Bank Building (now 21Ten Lofts).
I'm not familiar with this one, but there is definitely a sealed off tunnel under Baltimore between New England Bank / 21 Ten Lofts and the neighboring building (Library Lofts East)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:21 am There were old mob tunnels like between Harry's and Kelly's. I can't think of any current public people tunnels.
There's a small one that connects the old IBM/Lathrop buildings to Crown Center garage so can access those 3 buildings into CC. It's essentially public. There's one from old Post Office to Union Station that I think is still active but not public. There used to be many downtown but don't know if any can still be accessible. I heard that in the 70s there was a restaurant that you accessed from a phone booth to tunnel, something like that, don't recall details. There apparently was an extensive network within CBD area during the Pendergast era, with gambling IIRC.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Avilla University's campus out south has a tunnel system that connects most of the buildings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not really a tunnel but there is a continuous protected walkway between the downtown marriott / Alladin / Municipal / Bartle through the parking garage.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Lots of tunnels between homes and commercial strips along Independence Av as well!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 pm Lots of tunnels between homes and commercial strips along Independence Av as well!
Whaaaaaaaaatttt?! That's cool!

There's a tunnel between the Mainstreet Theatre and Hilton President. Has some cool history to it.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:02 pm
daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 pm Lots of tunnels between homes and commercial strips along Independence Av as well!
Whaaaaaaaaatttt?! That's cool!

There's a tunnel between the Mainstreet Theatre and Hilton President. Has some cool history to it.
Would be cool if someone ran a tour between all the downtown locations. With guaranteed growth in tourism I'm sure someone could make it interesting and capitalize on the opportunity.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »