New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/sta ... ZeLMEndM9g

So the Browns, Bills, Commanders, Titans are all pushing to quickly open new stadiums now. We’re a bigger than 3 of those 4 metros. We also have a real incentive (WC2026) to get moving quickly. I don’t understand why can’t we just atleast announce the Royals or Chiefs new stadium plans and get going if Cleveland, Buffalo & Nashville are able to.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericwyner
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ericwyner »

with the LA market being filled, everyone else lost leverage
Last edited by ericwyner on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedog
New York Life
New York Life

Post by freedog »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage
Austin/San Antonio needs a team tbh

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation and only has the Spurs
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm
ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage

My guess is they don't get teams because Dallas & Houston make sure it doesn't happen.
ericwyner
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ericwyner »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:09 pm

My guess is they don't get teams because Dallas & Houston make sure it doesn't happen.
and could Austin support any team that doesn't have Bevo stars?
freedog
New York Life
New York Life

Post by freedog »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Same argument as the “can kc support an nba team because of KU”
ericwyner
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ericwyner »

freedog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm
ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Same argument as the “can kc support an nba team because of KU”
Or competitive mizzou or kstate teams?
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
ericwyner
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ericwyner »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
in some places with pro teams, the local/regional college programs are bigger. the sports radio in Austin talks about UT football all year
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:06 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
in some places with pro teams, the local/regional college programs are bigger. the sports radio in Austin talks about UT football all year
I'd say KC was like that pre-2014 because the pro-teams were terrible and the college teams were good. But once the Royals & Chiefs started winning championships, college teams became worthless in KC. Tbf I think most people would agree with that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:10 pm Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

So the Browns, Bills, Commanders, Titans are all pushing to quickly open new stadiums now. We’re a bigger than 3 of those 4 metros. We also have a real incentive (WC2026) to get moving quickly. I don’t understand why can’t we just atleast announce the Royals or Chiefs new stadium plans and get going if Cleveland, Buffalo & Nashville are able to.

The fact that Cleveland isn’t just getting destroyed by society over signing Watson to a record deal blows my mind.

What’s the deal? Why are they and Watson getting a pass? Now they’re floating a billion dollar stadium off a sexual predators back.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:50 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:10 pm Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

The fact that Cleveland isn’t just getting destroyed by society over signing Watson to a record deal blows my mind.

What’s the deal? Why are they and Watson getting a pass? Now they’re floating a billion dollar stadium off a sexual predators back.
And Kareem Hunt. It really baffles me too.
TheBigChuckbowski
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 pm
I'd say KC was like that pre-2014 because the pro-teams were terrible and the college teams were good. But once the Royals & Chiefs started winning championships, college teams became worthless in KC. Tbf I think most people would agree with that.
I think conference realignment has more to do with it than the Royals and Chiefs winning. Mizzou and Nebraska play in different conferences so why should KU/K-State fans care and vice versa. They're too segmented now to not make over half the audience lose interest when talking about college.
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:14 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 pm

I think conference realignment has more to do with it than the Royals and Chiefs winning. Mizzou and Nebraska play in different conferences so why should KU/K-State fans care and vice versa. They're too segmented now to not make over half the audience lose interest when talking about college.
Fair point. That def contributed to the decline. The pro-sports coming up around the same time sealed the deal though.
Goonies
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Goonies »

KC has always been a Chiefs town. 2007 gave us a nice little run with KU/MU but its always been a Chiefs town since the early 90s.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sports betting deal won’t be enough to attract Chiefs, Kansas governor says

https://fox4kc.com/sports/sports-bettin ... rnor-says/
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I sort of want Kansas to drive up the cost so the Chiefs get a super super good stadium instead of getting some bare minimum bullshit stadium.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling the Chiefs are staying at TSC since Arrowhead will get renovations for the World Cup.
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:07 am I have a feeling the Chiefs are staying at TSC since Arrowhead will get renovations for the World Cup.
Oh I agree. But when the Chiefs do the re-build, I want Kansas to drive up the cost so that it becomes a really big rebuild which will be a really nice stadium. Not some cheap build.
Rusty Irish
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rusty Irish »

I ould see in a decade or so the Chargers moving out there under new ownership. Its too big a region to ignore now even if Jerry Jones wants the horde it. San Antonio especially would provide a huge amount of public funding they will never get in Cal.