Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by ericwyner »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:09 pm
freedog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm
ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage
Austin/San Antonio needs a team tbh

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation and only has the Spurs
My guess is they don't get teams because Dallas & Houston make sure it doesn't happen.
and could Austin support any team that doesn't have Bevo stars?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm

My guess is they don't get teams because Dallas & Houston make sure it doesn't happen.
Same argument as the “can kc support an nba team because of KU”
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

freedog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm
ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Same argument as the “can kc support an nba team because of KU”
Or competitive mizzou or kstate teams?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
in some places with pro teams, the local/regional college programs are bigger. the sports radio in Austin talks about UT football all year
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:06 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm KU won the national title and only got the next day of local sports radio attention before shifting back to pro-sports. College sports doesn't have anything on any pro-sports.
in some places with pro teams, the local/regional college programs are bigger. the sports radio in Austin talks about UT football all year
I'd say KC was like that pre-2014 because the pro-teams were terrible and the college teams were good. But once the Royals & Chiefs started winning championships, college teams became worthless in KC. Tbf I think most people would agree with that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:10 pm Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/sta ... ZeLMEndM9g

So the Browns, Bills, Commanders, Titans are all pushing to quickly open new stadiums now. We’re a bigger than 3 of those 4 metros. We also have a real incentive (WC2026) to get moving quickly. I don’t understand why can’t we just atleast announce the Royals or Chiefs new stadium plans and get going if Cleveland, Buffalo & Nashville are able to.

The fact that Cleveland isn’t just getting destroyed by society over signing Watson to a record deal blows my mind.

What’s the deal? Why are they and Watson getting a pass? Now they’re floating a billion dollar stadium off a sexual predators back.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:50 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:10 pm Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/sta ... ZeLMEndM9g

So the Browns, Bills, Commanders, Titans are all pushing to quickly open new stadiums now. We’re a bigger than 3 of those 4 metros. We also have a real incentive (WC2026) to get moving quickly. I don’t understand why can’t we just atleast announce the Royals or Chiefs new stadium plans and get going if Cleveland, Buffalo & Nashville are able to.

The fact that Cleveland isn’t just getting destroyed by society over signing Watson to a record deal blows my mind.

What’s the deal? Why are they and Watson getting a pass? Now they’re floating a billion dollar stadium off a sexual predators back.
And Kareem Hunt. It really baffles me too.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 pm
I'd say KC was like that pre-2014 because the pro-teams were terrible and the college teams were good. But once the Royals & Chiefs started winning championships, college teams became worthless in KC. Tbf I think most people would agree with that.
I think conference realignment has more to do with it than the Royals and Chiefs winning. Mizzou and Nebraska play in different conferences so why should KU/K-State fans care and vice versa. They're too segmented now to not make over half the audience lose interest when talking about college.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:14 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 pm

I think conference realignment has more to do with it than the Royals and Chiefs winning. Mizzou and Nebraska play in different conferences so why should KU/K-State fans care and vice versa. They're too segmented now to not make over half the audience lose interest when talking about college.
Fair point. That def contributed to the decline. The pro-sports coming up around the same time sealed the deal though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sports betting deal won’t be enough to attract Chiefs, Kansas governor says

https://fox4kc.com/sports/sports-bettin ... rnor-says/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I sort of want Kansas to drive up the cost so the Chiefs get a super super good stadium instead of getting some bare minimum bullshit stadium.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling the Chiefs are staying at TSC since Arrowhead will get renovations for the World Cup.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:07 am I have a feeling the Chiefs are staying at TSC since Arrowhead will get renovations for the World Cup.
Oh I agree. But when the Chiefs do the re-build, I want Kansas to drive up the cost so that it becomes a really big rebuild which will be a really nice stadium. Not some cheap build.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage

I ould see in a decade or so the Chargers moving out there under new ownership. Its too big a region to ignore now even if Jerry Jones wants the horde it. San Antonio especially would provide a huge amount of public funding they will never get in Cal.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:07 am I have a feeling the Chiefs are staying at TSC since Arrowhead will get renovations for the World Cup.
Oh I agree. But when the Chiefs do the re-build, I want Kansas to drive up the cost so that it becomes a really big rebuild which will be a really nice stadium. Not some cheap build.
Yeah why spend $1 billion in taxpayer funds on a stadium when you can spend $2 billion in taxpayer funds for an even nicer stadium from which the team's billionaire owner can wring even more revenue with negligible (even zero?) additional return for the taxpayers themselves who funded it? It's one thing to argue that we simply have to spend money to keep the team at all (I'm not sure I concede that point either, but in any case, it's not relevant right now anyway), but "I hope there's a bidding war so that we can unnecessarily spend vastly more than we otherwise would have" is totally deranged.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am
Yeah why spend $1 billion in taxpayer funds on a stadium when you can spend $2 billion in taxpayer funds for an even nicer stadium from which the team's billionaire owner can wring even more revenue with negligible (even zero?) additional return for the taxpayers themselves who funded it? It's one thing to argue that we simply have to spend money to keep the team at all (I'm not sure I concede that point either, but in any case, it's not relevant right now anyway), but "I hope there's a bidding war so that we can unnecessarily spend vastly more than we otherwise would have" is totally deranged.
Agreed. I see no reason to unnecessarily spend money if you don’t have to.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 am

I'm sensing there's alot of rich people on this board. They are very careless with how others money is spent.
*government
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Swap word cost for quality then. I want a world class stadium that we get to host big events at all the time. Not something generic like Missouri would build if there’s no pressure coming from Kansas
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Swap whatever words you want, but you're still talking about spending a huge amount of public money. What does it mean to "host big events all the time"? The World Cup is a big event and the existing Arrowhead already landed it. The Super Bowl is a big event, but it won't come to KC unless the stadium has a roof (and would have already been awarded to the existing Arrowhead if it had a roof). The Olympics will never come to KC, and if they did, they would surely expect a new Olympic Stadium as part of the bid. Arrowhead already hosts miscellaneous other soccer and college football games. A roofed stadium might host some basketball stuff as well, but that's somewhere between one and a few dates in a given year, and probably not every year. Even new stadiums in much larger cities host only a handful of non-NFL events in a given year, and most of those events are not national or international draws like the World Cup, they are just concerts for especially big acts (Arrowhead has also hosted some of these, and I suspect that the reason it doesn't host more has more to do with KC's ability to turn out 75,000 people for a concert than with the quality of the facilities, though that is just my feeling, I'm not a concert promoter or anything).

A new stadium is likely to cost ~$1 billion or more as a starting point, before you even start throwing in nonessential bells and whistles. Whether that's an especially wise use of public money or not, it's going to happen, so we'll set that part of it aside. But when you start talking about adding hundreds of millions more to that amount, the question needs to become, is it worth those hundreds of millions of dollars to pull in two or three concerts and an extra college football game or two per year? Or might the city/county/metro be better served by spending that money somewhere else?