World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 pm Very important for our world cup hosting!
At this point I've seen more people on Rag trying to shill for Denver/Nashville than anyone else on social media
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/400 ... ized-area/

Also, I was incorrect about Denver, which I thought was 2.9 but is 2.6 (acute cell phone dependent dyslexia, aka, old man eyes).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

STADIUMS: Ranking World Cup 2026 Stadiums from worst to best
6. Arrowhead Stadium / Kansas City, MO
A surprise host selection to be sure, but a welcome one. KC’s Arrowhead Stadium is the second-oldest venue in the tournament, and the only one located in the American midwest, but it’s fantastic to have a more historic American venue hosting some matches. The distinctive profile of the upper bowl and the oval video boards and each end will definitely add a 1970s retro flare to the competition. While Arrowhead was a lackluster home to MLS’s Kansas City Wiz/Wizards from 1996-2007, the city has since become one of the great American soccer towns.

The venue will need some modifications/improvements to bring it up to FIFA standards, and Gillette Stadium long term status as home of the NFL’s Chiefs may be in doubt, but it should have no effect on the great environment Gillette Stadium sure to produce for the tournament. Original Chiefs owner and NASL & MLS co-founder Lamar Hunt would surely be proud to see KC hosting the sport’s biggest event.
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2022/06/22/ ... t-to-best/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was unaware the Chiefs play in Gillette Stadium now. The internet continues to educate me.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

A wonderful article by opinon writer Conor Sen at Bloomberg:

He says that KC may become the next boom-town given its relatively low housing costs and it's cache growing with this WC2026 announcement. He likens it to Atlanta winning the 1996 Olympics and catalyzing them the next decades after.

"The World Cup's Biggest Winner May Be Kansas City"
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ium=social
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah as mentioned in other threads there will probably be some secondary economic momentum to come out of WC announcement. There's maybe an advantage that KC sticks out as an oddity relative to other WC cities selected. And only Midwest rep.

Some investors/developers (perhaps global) might now take a look at KC, some locally active on fence about pulling trigger might just be influenced by the 'momentum'. Much of it probably can't be proven WC is the reason but seems inevitable there will be some secondary action. And this will go on for 4 years until gametime.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Could definitely see KC gaining momentum with the World Cup, especially if it is used to effectively and finally shed its national image of a cowtown. Who knows with boom-towns though seems that they just need to hit a certain momentum which continuously catalyzes further development all down to that expanding word of mouth.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Riverite wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm Could definitely see KC gaining momentum with the World Cup, especially if it is used to effectively and finally shed its national image of a cowtown. Who knows with boom-towns though seems that they just need to hit a certain momentum which continuously catalyzes further development all down to that expanding word of mouth.
It's huge to see that coming from someone outside of KC. And giving a serious opinion on it too.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm There's a thread on the KC reddit asking how we can get the world cup removed from KC due to Missouris stance on women's rights LOL. I'll tell ya the far left in this city just can't quit tripping over their feet.
These people realize the WC is being held in fucking Qatar this year right?!? Missouris abortion laws are hyper progressive compared to that shit
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:14 pm
Goonies wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm There's a thread on the KC reddit asking how we can get the world cup removed from KC due to Missouris stance on women's rights LOL. I'll tell ya the far left in this city just can't quit tripping over their feet.
These people realize the WC is being held in fucking Qatar this year right?!? Missouris abortion laws are hyper progressive compared to that shit
No. No they don't.

The extremists on the left don't care one bit about anywhere further than their eyes can see. They prove that day in and day out.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

And by that same logic, we'd also have to pull games out of Dallas, Houston, Atlanta & possibly Miami as well.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I realize this isn't really appropriate for the World Cup thread, but let's not just talk out of our asses, Missouri's abortion laws aren't "hyper progressive" compared to anybody. Inducing an abortion in MO now carries a stricter penalty (5-15 years in prison) than it does in Qatar (up to five years). MO doesn't permit abortion at any stage except in case of "medical emergency" affecting the mother. Qatar has that exception too, as well as an exception for cases in which the child would be born with untreatable physical or mental conditions (MO will force women to carry these pregnancies to term, even if the ultimate, inevitable outcome is that they have to watch their newborn baby suffer and die within hours or days of their birth). MO and Qatar both have extremely repressive laws that endanger women's lives, I'm not really sure that either one is more or less "progressive" than the other in any meaningful way, but on paper at least, Qatar appears a little bit more permissive.

American conservatives have been able to maintain this delusion for a long time that they are somehow better than their counterparts in these other famously repressive countries, but to the extent that America is "better" than Qatar, it is in spite of, not thanks to, the efforts of Republicans, and now that the dog has caught the car, we are seeing America (already closer to those countries in many ways than Americans like to admit) sliding further in that direction.

FIFA, of course, doesn't care about any of this, so I'm not really sure what the point is of having brought it up in this thread, but if we're going to veer wildly off topic, let's at least stay out of fantasy worlds in which American Republicans are morally superior to conservative Qataris.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:21 am I realize this isn't really appropriate for the World Cup thread, but let's not just talk out of our asses, Missouri's abortion laws aren't "hyper progressive" compared to anybody. Inducing an abortion in MO now carries a stricter penalty (5-15 years in prison) than it does in Qatar (up to five years). MO doesn't permit abortion at any stage except in case of "medical emergency" affecting the mother. Qatar has that exception too, as well as an exception for cases in which the child would be born with untreatable physical or mental conditions (MO will force women to carry these pregnancies to term, even if the ultimate, inevitable outcome is that they have to watch their newborn baby suffer and die within hours or days of their birth). MO and Qatar both have extremely repressive laws that endanger women's lives, I'm not really sure that either one is more or less "progressive" than the other in any meaningful way, but on paper at least, Qatar appears a little bit more permissive.

American conservatives have been able to maintain this delusion for a long time that they are somehow better than their counterparts in these other famously repressive countries, but to the extent that America is "better" than Qatar, it is in spite of, not thanks to, the efforts of Republicans, and now that the dog has caught the car, we are seeing America (already closer to those countries in many ways than Americans like to admit) sliding further in that direction.

FIFA, of course, doesn't care about any of this, so I'm not really sure what the point is of having brought it up in this thread, but if we're going to veer wildly off topic, let's at least stay out of fantasy worlds in which American Republicans are morally superior to conservative Qataris.
I don’t have a symbol for obvious hyperbole, I’ll be sure to put it in next time, my b
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Hyperbole usually refers to exaggeration, not fabrication, but sure, ok :roll:
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:26 pm Hyperbole usually refers to exaggeration, not fabrication, but sure, ok :roll:
It was a pretty large exaggeration…obviously Missouri is backwards in regards to abortion law, but to pretend it’s anywhere on the same playing field as Qatar when it comes to lack of women's rights is disingenuous at best. Pretty sure women in MO don’t have to receive permission from a male Guardian to marry… also pretty sure the state of Missouri has a higher female elected representation rate than Qatars eye watering .1%
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pm
phuqueue wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:26 pm Hyperbole usually refers to exaggeration, not fabrication, but sure, ok :roll:
It was a pretty large exaggeration…obviously Missouri is backwards in regards to abortion law, but to pretend it’s anywhere on the same playing field as Qatar when it comes to lack of women's rights is disingenuous at best. Pretty sure women in MO don’t have to receive permission from a male Guardian to marry… also pretty sure the state of Missouri has a higher female elected representation rate than Qatars eye watering .1%
You're right, women should be grateful to live in a state with stricter abortion laws than Qatar.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:15 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pm
You're right, women should be grateful to live in a state with stricter abortion laws than Qatar.
Jesus, the original point was about a call on the KC Reddit sub to move the World Cup from KC because of Missouri’s trigger law. I was pointing out that in a place that literally regards women as less than men by law, FIFA has no problem hosting a world event, so I doubt the new law would move the games from KC…let’s try and bring it back to the topic at hand, woo hoo, KC has WC games
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Take the politics anywhere else, plenty of outlets for it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:59 pm Take the politics anywhere else, plenty of outlets for it.
Agreed. There's even a thread on this site to discuss if you want
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

So is Platt or Lucas saying Streetcar to TSC by 2026 or not? Week in Review (posted on Reddit) discussed that he had discussed it. I'm still in the camp that it is going to be very difficult to get a major project like that done when we are not near shovel ready.

https://www.pbs.org/video/greitens-ad-s ... 22-1u2wsx/

@11:15

Mayor also noted that he 'discussed' it on Soren Petro which I didn't listen to, but he was coy about it on twitter.