Wichita

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Wichita

Post by kcjak »

Large mural being painted on a grain elevator in north Wichita - would love to see something like this on either side of the elevator on the NE corner of Rainbow and SW Blvd.

https://www.kansas.com/entertainment/ar ... 59645.html
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4317
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Wichita

Post by grovester »

That would make a great Open Spaces project.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by kcjak »

New riverfront development featuring bars, restaurants and other possibilities next to new ballpark downtown.

https://www.kansas.com/news/business/bi ... 05660.html
longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Wichita

Post by longviewmo »

Also a new pedestrian bridge!
shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6941
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by shinatoo »

Looks like they are going to fill the river up with water too.
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 19336
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Wichita

Post by DaveKCMO »

Wichita has a very cool cocktail/wine bar now: https://www.facebook.com/canaict/
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by empires228 »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 am Looks like they are going to fill the river up with water too.
The river in Wichita is usually pretty full downtown thanks to a dam downstream...
longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Wichita

Post by longviewmo »

Renderings of the new ballpark: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-go ... 30425.html

Lots of people seemed to react with "if we're spending this much money on a ballpark, we need something special"... not realizing that they're really trying to pull this off on a 13-month schedule from its current status as a completely level dirt lot.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by empires228 »

longviewmo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm Renderings of the new ballpark: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-go ... 30425.html

Lots of people seemed to react with "if we're spending this much money on a ballpark, we need something special"... not realizing that they're really trying to pull this off on a 13-month schedule from its current status as a completely level dirt lot.
Wichita has never completed any project on schedule. It won't happen.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by kcjak »

empires228 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm
longviewmo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm Renderings of the new ballpark: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-go ... 30425.html

Lots of people seemed to react with "if we're spending this much money on a ballpark, we need something special"... not realizing that they're really trying to pull this off on a 13-month schedule from its current status as a completely level dirt lot.
Wichita has never completed any project on schedule. It won't happen.
Based on what examples? Intrust Bank Arena and the new central library didn't suffer any delays.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by empires228 »

kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm
empires228 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm
longviewmo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm Renderings of the new ballpark: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-go ... 30425.html

Lots of people seemed to react with "if we're spending this much money on a ballpark, we need something special"... not realizing that they're really trying to pull this off on a 13-month schedule from its current status as a completely level dirt lot.
Wichita has never completed any project on schedule. It won't happen.
Based on what examples? Intrust Bank Arena and the new central library didn't suffer any delays.
Every road project they've started since the 80's. This project includes quite a bit of roadwork. They also broke ground while admitting that they haven't picked a final design for the stadium and haven't put out any bids for construction.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by kcjak »

Details announced for the ballpark district - Unscripted hotel, retail and office https://www.ballpark-district.com/
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2312
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: Wichita

Post by AlkaliAxel »

We’re letting little bitty Wichita beat us to making a ballpark district all because they’re scared of some suburban dads with 3 year olds in JoCo?
User avatar
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Union Hill

Re: Wichita

Post by Critical_Mass »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:13 pm We’re letting little bitty Wichita beat us to making a ballpark district all because they’re scared of some suburban dads with 3 year olds in JoCo?
Who is 'we'? I didn't realize the Royals organization was in a race with the Wichita Wind Surge to build the next ballpark adjacent development in the midwest.
Looks nice, and good for Wichita. I don't think a hotel and some entertainment options surrounding a 12,000 capacity AA ballpark is going to compete much with the Royals so you can calm down.
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2312
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: Wichita

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:13 pm We’re letting little bitty Wichita beat us to making a ballpark district all because they’re scared of some suburban dads with 3 year olds in JoCo?
Who is 'we'? I didn't realize the Royals organization was in a race with the Wichita Wind Surge to build the next ballpark adjacent development in the midwest.
Looks nice, and good for Wichita. I don't think a hotel and some entertainment options surrounding a 12,000 capacity AA ballpark is going to compete much with the Royals so you can calm down.
Lol. The Royals main base is Kansas. It's essentially Kansas's team. The fact a far inferior team & city in Kansas is beating them to doing something so obvious is embarrassing, yes.
User avatar
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Union Hill

Re: Wichita

Post by Critical_Mass »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:13 pm We’re letting little bitty Wichita beat us to making a ballpark district all because they’re scared of some suburban dads with 3 year olds in JoCo?
Who is 'we'? I didn't realize the Royals organization was in a race with the Wichita Wind Surge to build the next ballpark adjacent development in the midwest.
Looks nice, and good for Wichita. I don't think a hotel and some entertainment options surrounding a 12,000 capacity AA ballpark is going to compete much with the Royals so you can calm down.
Lol. The Royals main base is Kansas City. It's essentially Kansas City's team. The fact a far inferior team & city in Kansas is beating them to doing something so obvious is embarrassing, yes.
Fixed it for you.
What is it, 1/3rd of Kansas' population is in metro KC? Are you worried about tourist dollars from Emporia, KS heading down to Wichita to catch second-tier minor league baseball instead of coming to KC for professional level? LOL, well, they opened the $75 million stadium in Wichita a year ago and have a record attendance of 7,908 (May 11, 2021). This will have minimal, if any, impact on Royals attendance. It's nice for the people who live in Wichita. And you do know that there are other midwestern cities that already have downtown baseball stadiums and adjacent development districts, right?
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2312
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: Wichita

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:54 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm

Who is 'we'? I didn't realize the Royals organization was in a race with the Wichita Wind Surge to build the next ballpark adjacent development in the midwest.
Looks nice, and good for Wichita. I don't think a hotel and some entertainment options surrounding a 12,000 capacity AA ballpark is going to compete much with the Royals so you can calm down.
Lol. The Royals main base is Kansas City. It's essentially Kansas City's team. The fact a far inferior team & city in Kansas is beating them to doing something so obvious is embarrassing, yes.
Fixed it for you.
What is it, 1/3rd of Kansas' population is in metro KC? Are you worried about tourist dollars from Emporia, KS heading down to Wichita to catch second-tier minor league baseball instead of coming to KC for professional level? LOL, well, they opened the $75 million stadium in Wichita a year ago and have a record attendance of 7,908 (May 11, 2021). This will have minimal, if any, impact on Royals attendance. It's nice for the people who live in Wichita. And you do know that there are other midwestern cities that already have downtown baseball stadiums and adjacent development districts, right?
Nope Kansas is still its state. And no I'm not worried about Wichita taking money away but it just goes to show how far behind we are in this from literally every other city, even the puny ones.
User avatar
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Union Hill

Re: Wichita

Post by Critical_Mass »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:57 pm Nope Kansas is still its state. And no I'm not worried about Wichita taking money away but it just goes to show how far behind we are in this from literally every other city, even the puny ones.
Yes, Kansas.
And western Missouri, even down into Arkansas somewhat.
And eastern Nebraska.
And southwest Iowa.
(Google MLB fan base map or the Royals Radio Network map)

I'm saying what Wichita has planned is not even comparable (literally not in the same league) so why cry about it? It doesn't negatively impact KC or make us look bad. It's great for Wichita, but it's a $75 million stadium. Royals new ballpark will be $500 million to $1 billion. A small hotel, small office building and some retail is what we see built around a youth soccer complex here. I'm not jealous of it, but even if this was some amazing transformational thing for Wichita I'd be happy for them, Kansas, and the midwest. Both places can have nice things!
User avatar
Chris Stritzel
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The building designs at the Ballpark District don't look bad in rendering form. Quite nice.
dukuboy1
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Re: Wichita

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:57 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:54 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Lol. The Royals main base is Kansas City. It's essentially Kansas City's team. The fact a far inferior team & city in Kansas is beating them to doing something so obvious is embarrassing, yes.
Fixed it for you.
What is it, 1/3rd of Kansas' population is in metro KC? Are you worried about tourist dollars from Emporia, KS heading down to Wichita to catch second-tier minor league baseball instead of coming to KC for professional level? LOL, well, they opened the $75 million stadium in Wichita a year ago and have a record attendance of 7,908 (May 11, 2021). This will have minimal, if any, impact on Royals attendance. It's nice for the people who live in Wichita. And you do know that there are other midwestern cities that already have downtown baseball stadiums and adjacent development districts, right?
Nope Kansas is still its state. And no I'm not worried about Wichita taking money away but it just goes to show how far behind we are in this from literally every other city, even the puny ones.
This line of thinking seems to be a bit of a stretch as to the impact to KC. Good for them to build a ballpark downtown. KC is going to build a MLB stadium and district downtown, which will be awesome. What we do here with the Royals has no impact to Wichita. The stadium they are building is the same size & capacity as what is being built for the KC Current. Plus do you stay awake at night worrying about the impact of the Monarchs on the Royals?

Now I will say it stunk when the Royals left Wichita & moved jumped ship to Arkansas to be the AA affiliate. The old Wranglers had a lot o talent come through their on the way to the majors. But this development should not concern us in the least. Maybe reinforce the idea of people wanting to enjoy baseball in a vibrant downtown environment. Maybe that will get the "JOCO Dads" as you mentioned before more at ease with the concept. If people in suburbs of sleepy ol' Wichita can go downtown for a game I suspect KC will manage it as well. 8)
Post Reply