Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

Roughly 1.5 years from open. I believe they're on track.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:28 pm Roughly 1.5 years from open. I believe they're on track.
Original finish date I heard from August 2023. So yeah, more or less that's about on track.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

The skyway btwn 2 & 3 was cut.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bspecht wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:09 pm The skyway btwn 2 & 3 was cut.
Yes
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Probably a good thing
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Honestly would’ve been an eyesore, would’ve been great for residents though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good news
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The arts commission completely reworded their website “about” section to include several mentions of skybridges or anything that is “over” city property as part of their jurisdiction.

Appointed people with zero knowledge about development making important decisions. They didn’t kill this project but between the resistance and money, easier to cut.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Thank god. That would have been ugly AF.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I tend to side with those who would have benefited from its use opposed to those forced to look at it a few times a year. Big lose for the residents.

How do you weigh community opinion about something they never intend to use Vs the benefit to the hundreds or thousands of residents who would have used it over the years?

And why does the local arts commission have a say in a functional mode of transport (skybridge) when there was zero art involved in its design? The city should have a say by all means to properly represent the tax payer and cities interest but the arts commission?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who do you propose? They represent taxpayers and city interests?

People would use a drive thru downtown but we restrict them due to other factors but the usefulness of customers using a drive thru should be prioritized?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Won’t it by default create a little more street density down there if residents have to walk the sidewalk to get to the other building now?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I do think it’s weird the arts commission is involved, but I’m glad this is gone
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:35 pm Who do you propose? They represent taxpayers and city interests?

People would use a drive thru downtown but we restrict them due to other factors but the usefulness of customers using a drive thru should be prioritized?
A drive thru stands to have a major impact on all downtown drivers. Makes sense to not allow as the benefit isn't worth the potential traffic jams, pollution etc.

Not sure how a bridge, 25' above people's heads would have a negative impact on anyone. Poll 100 people and ask them what they think of skybridges to connect buildings. Guessing most would say they really don't care either way, a few would be very opposed and a few very supportive.

We're building a neighborhood, what's better for a neighborhood than creating ways for residents to most easily move around it? Even building to building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I think the city has several committees that handle development, zoning, permitting and the likes that can handle this from a professional perspective. Not a mayor appointed commission made up of people, mostly, who know nothing about development, urbanism or..... ART!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

All those great new York neighborhoods are because of skywalks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And I agree the city should have better design standards for all development versus leaving it up to the arts commission. Those standards would disallow skywalks most certainly
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:23 pm All those great new York neighborhoods are because of skywalks!
I’m not saying skybridges make or break neighborhoods. Plenty of arguments on either side. I’d be more supportive of a underground tunnel because it’s got a cool factor but it’s also not as practical.

It’s just a interesting debate weighing tax payers opinions on something that has very little impact on their lives vs the people spending 30k a year on rent and what they want.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

What’s wrong with just having people walk along the sidewalk?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:28 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:23 pm All those great new York neighborhoods are because of skywalks!
I’m not saying skybridges make or break neighborhoods. Plenty of arguments on either side. I’d be more supportive of a underground tunnel because it’s got a cool factor but it’s also not as practical.

It’s just a interesting debate weighing tax payers opinions on something that has very little impact on their lives vs the people spending 30k a year on rent and what they want.
It's not a very interesting debate. Spending any amount of money on rent doesn't give you have special treatment. I'd contend the design and aesthetic of a city have huge impacts on citizens.