Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

I think we will get a lot from STL.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I just wanna keep getting more lounges built. Keep pursuing that too.

Also, will the new MCI have a currency exchange desk like Denver’s does?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doubtful. Less useful than they used to be and rip offs anyways
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think the SW stuff changed once they were allowed to have more flights or their scheduled or whatever changed in Dallas and Love Field. KC was the closest major airport at the time they were limited in Dallas and we benefited. But when that changed so did the need for KCI.

However SW is one of the biggest carriers here and draws from the surrounding region. As airlines stop serving some of those area or change their model KC may benefit more. But I feel SW is still going to be a big player in KC and I hope that bring other choices like Jet Blue. Alaskan Airlines, and more Delta, United, etc. I'm excited to see what the airport can do when it can actively pursue more flights and air carriers because it has the capacity and facilities to do so.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I feel like a lot of people on here are making assumptions/hopes without really knowing the landscape.

Southwest literally just added more gates at Denver, on top of what they already had, than KCI will have total for Southwest. Nothing will be pulled from Denver to KCI. If anything that hampers KCIs chances for Southwest expansion because now they can run so many more flights thru Denver and overfly KCI (and everyone else).

Southwest also is still going to have more gates at STL than KCI. They have 17 at STL, which gives them room to grow. They have over twice as many flights at STL than they do at KCI. They are a big reason STL is going to build a new terminal.

I don’t see KCI pulling flights from either one of those.

I DO however see KCI growing their own flights on Southwest, but it isn’t going to be “pulling” from somewhere else. It doesn’t need to be. Southwest is getting a bunch of new planes and needs somewhere to fly them. KC will pick up some new routes that are being hampered by lack of connections in the current airport.

I think as someone else mentioned if this terminal was 10-15 years ago things might be different. But in the last decade Nashville and Denver have exploded for Southwest and STL has had a big bump also. Southwest is about to become less restricted in Dallas. So some of our surrounding cities kind of pulled away while we waited. Unfortunate, but there is no reason to look back now and worry about it. Gotta move forward.

That said, I really think Delta is going to be the airline to watch in the new terminal, even more than Southwest.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Agreed on Delta^. If they’re building the club, then you’d figure they may expand here
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What's the famous Churchill quote? America always does the right thing after it's exhausted all of the other options.

Should be the moto of KC.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

What would it take to get light rail from the new terminal to downtown in the next four years? We need it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's not happening nor is it necessary
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MidtownCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 am What would it take to get light rail from the new terminal to downtown in the next four years? We need it.
Even for 10+ years, much more density along path needed just for starters. Planning plus build not possible in 4.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

World Cup will easily be handled by special rapid bus for the event.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

MidtownCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 am What would it take to get light rail from the new terminal to downtown in the next four years? We need it.
It’d take the Chiefs deciding they wanted to be in the Northland. Won’t happen.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:12 am World Cup will easily be handled by special rapid bus for the event.
The bus system is a complete joke and will never be an adequate solution. You’re never going to accommodate the need with Uber and busses. Never.

There’s no density along the light rail spine in Denver and it works extremely well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^It will likely be dedicated shuttle busses between major event sites and hotel districts for WC. Every WC city will highly likely do this even if great transit as there's more control and fans don't have to deal with local stops or figure out local transit (or even pay for it). This is common for large conventions over 50K too between event sites, even cities with great transit. I've used them at San Fran and Chicago conferences with multiple event sites as it was much easier not having to deal with public transit transfers, avoided slowness due to all the stops - and free to use. Multipoint-to-multipoint shuttles dedicated to the event sites much more efficient.

We don't need to build rail transit for WC. It's too late and not needed at all.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

MidtownCat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 pm There’s no density along the light rail spine in Denver and it works extremely well.
I do agree that we should just build a line to airport regardless. There will never in a million years be density enough up that way to "justify rail" so I think just build it. That's just my take on it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any talk of more rail by 2026 is just foolish talk. We will barely get umkc line active by then
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 pm Any talk of more rail by 2026 is just foolish talk. We will barely get umkc line active by then
Which is fine. I think if anything maybe order another streetcar if they to do any "expanding"
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We already have a large order of streetcars plus options for more. No need to send anyone down to the streetcar store.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And overload buses can be run along line if needed.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

While waiting in a VERY long line of people for the Blue Bus to the economy lot last night, I got to wondering: Is that people mover idea that was mentioned in this thread at some point actually a possibility? It would be nice, although honestly if they just had dedicated bus stations at the terminal for each lot and larger buses than they currently use, then that would probably suffice. Maybe A, B and C stops at the start, middle and end of the arrivals roadway outside the terminal, dedicated to the airlines that use the nearby baggage claims.