New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by GRID »

2026 seems insane, but would be pretty amazing if it's pulled off. I think voters would pass a vote if they knew the could lose the stadium to KS.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:08 pm 2026 seems insane, but would be pretty amazing if it's pulled off. I think voters would pass a vote if they knew the could lose the stadium to KS.
It makes you wonder if the design, financing, and site has already been finalized. Construction would be closer around 36 months for a stadium, right?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:53 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:08 pm 2026 seems insane, but would be pretty amazing if it's pulled off. I think voters would pass a vote if they knew the could lose the stadium to KS.
It makes you wonder if the design, financing, and site has already been finalized. Construction would be closer around 36 months for a stadium, right?
Globe Life Field was announced in May 2016 and was ready for opening day 2020. 36 Months is possible but yes, they better have some ducks lined up if they intend to get open in 2026.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:40 pm
Globe Life Field was announced in May 2016 and was ready for opening day 2020. 36 Months is possible but yes, they better have some ducks lined up if they intend to get open in 2026.
And Globe Life Field is ALOT bigger than any potential stadium the Royals would make. So therefore, definitely possible.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:42 pm

And Globe Life Field is ALOT bigger than any potential stadium the Royals would make. So therefore, definitely possible.
Site prep and permitting slow down a project this size more than anything. Site will be much more difficult than Globe Life. I imagine Arlington is easier to permit a stadium ii than downtown Kansas City.

The site prep for PnL and the sprint center was quite intresting.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:52 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Site prep and permitting slow down a project this size more than anything. Site will be much more difficult than Globe Life. I imagine Arlington is easier to permit a stadium ii than downtown Kansas City.

The site prep for PnL and the sprint center was quite intresting.
Would they have to rezone?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rezoning is probably the easiest part but there a a thousand thing the bureaucrats have to sign off on. That all takes time.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm Had some beers with someone who is a good inside source. His comment was we will have a baseball stadium open by 2026 in East Village and a new football stadium at TSC shortly after.

He is a trusted source in regards to the Royals, but I'm not sure how connected he is with the Chiefs.
What would the damages be to Jackson County for breaking the lease?
There is a lot of chips that would have to fall into place for that to happen.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:05 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm Had some beers with someone who is a good inside source. His comment was we will have a baseball stadium open by 2026 in East Village and a new football stadium at TSC shortly after.

He is a trusted source in regards to the Royals, but I'm not sure how connected he is with the Chiefs.
Probably nothing more than a speed ticket fine that would be more than made up by getting downtown early
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I heard from a reliable source that a certain local architecture firm is working on designs for new Chiefs stadium/village etc as we speak.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:02 pm I heard from a reliable source that a certain local architecture firm is working on designs for new Chiefs stadium/village etc as we speak.
I thought the Chiefs have already said they are paying somebody to come up with options for them, so that's probably what you are hearing about. The Chiefs are not leaving the TSC. There is zero reason to do so.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:05 pm

If Royals would relocate to another site in Jackson County, the County would support the move and sign a new lease with the team. I would be very surprised if Royals get this done by 2026, but it would be better for both teams if the Royals would be in the new stadium by then and then the Chiefs would be able to begin construction on either a new stadium or mixed use area without major impact to the Royals.

Does anyone know if MO ever finalized a proposal trying to keep the Rams to stay in STL? It looks like the original deal to lure them from LA (the first time LOL) was a super sweetheart deal. If we could get anything close to that even in 1995 dollars, that would be a good way of getting a new stadium built. In the current environment against public handouts and with the team already being here they may not expect quite as much, but with team contribution that would be enough for a sub-$1bln renovation/new development.
This is not the first time the Rams have squeezed money out of Missouri and St. Louis. They've been doing it since before they arrived in 1995.

In order to lure them from Los Angeles in the first place, the state of Missouri spent $300 million to build the Edward Jones Dome. But repaying the loans taken out to pay for it will end up costing the state, county, and city an estimated $720 million. They've also committed to paying all upkeep costs for the facility in perpetuity. In exchange, the Rams agreed to lease the dome for $500,000 per year for 30 years.
https://www.vox.com/2015/1/12/7525143/rams-stadium

My wishlist would be
-Refresh Arrowhead facilities
-Add a retractable roof so Clark can get his Superbowl
-Mixed Use where Kauffman is
-Run Max/Streetcar to TSC
-New Kauffman in East Village
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:46 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:02 pm I heard from a reliable source that a certain local architecture firm is working on designs for new Chiefs stadium/village etc as we speak.
I thought the Chiefs have already said they are paying somebody to come up with options for them, so that's probably what you are hearing about. The Chiefs are not leaving the TSC. There is zero reason to do so.
No, not options. I talked to someone directly in a firm who’s designing the new village or whatever it is. I didn’t get too many details on what it looks like but…

This matches what DCole’s source said about the Chiefs as well
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:47 am If it goes to a vote at all, it may not pass anyway given many don't want Royals to move from TSC, especially East Jack and probably much of S Jack. And the existing tax is for maintenance. If used for new construction more may be asked for maintenance as well.

With the apparent confidence that insiders think this will happen soon, they must not be relying on a vote. That would seem to mean very high % of private financing and some TIF and/or State aid.
I wonder if renewing the stadium tax from 2006 + private financing would be enough to get it done
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Will Arrowhead need any renovations for the World Cup?

Will that impact if they stay at TSC?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They plan to remove several thousand seats to make the field wide enough to meet FiFa standards.

I wonder if we push for state money to dome it up?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cleveland Browns are now eyeing a $1 billion new stadium with significant taxpayer money. Also will have mixed use development.

https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/sta ... ZeLMEndM9g

So the Browns, Bills, Commanders, Titans are all pushing to quickly open new stadiums now. We’re a bigger than 3 of those 4 metros. We also have a real incentive (WC2026) to get moving quickly. I don’t understand why can’t we just atleast announce the Royals or Chiefs new stadium plans and get going if Cleveland, Buffalo & Nashville are able to.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

with the LA market being filled, everyone else lost leverage
Last edited by ericwyner on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage
Austin/San Antonio needs a team tbh

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation and only has the Spurs
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm
ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm with the LA market being filled? everyone else lost leverage
Austin/San Antonio needs a team tbh

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation and only has the Spurs
My guess is they don't get teams because Dallas & Houston make sure it doesn't happen.